• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To Avoid Dementia, Stay Mentally Active Throughout Lifetime

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
DP is one place where you can avoid dementia.
“Anything having to do with reading and writing counts in spades,” says the study’s lead author Robert Wilson, senior neuropsychologist at the Rush Alzheimer’s Disease Center at Rush University in Chicago. Sending emails or reading news online, he suspects, would have similar effects. “There’s no reason to think they wouldn’t be as mentally stimulating.”

Read more: To Avoid Dementia, Stay Mentally Active Throughout Lifetime | TIME.com

There we go a new slogan: Debate Politics, Now With Medical Benefit.

I have always wondered about this. Do you stay mentally active because you dont get Alzheimers or does the mental activity keep it away. My gut feeling is the former. My ex's great grandmother was 99yo and could do the NYT crossword in ink in no time.

i agree with this. since 2007 or so, i have spent much of my time reading, learning, debating, and exercising. my mental acuity feels even sharper than when i was in college, and i'm nearly certain that this is the reason.

one thing to add, though : i would bet that physical exercise is a key component, as well.

will this prevent dementia entirely? if one is genetically predisposed, possibly not, but i would bet that it would have a good chance of slowing it down. always keep learning and challenging yourself.

DP is one place where you can avoid dementia.

I have been observing ( lurking ) DP for a few months; While it may probably be a place one can avoid dementia it is also a place such a condition is exhibited in its most desperate moments.....:lamo

I chuckle at my own jokes in case no one else joins in ...:mrgreen:
Thom Paine

Back
Top Bottom