• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Titus 1:12

Because there is. I was assuming you knew the definition of the term, now I see you do not. My bad. Please look up the word and familiarize yourself with it's meaning.
I've yet to see your explanation as to why the paradox exists, or how it is somehow paradoxical.

In case some here aren't aware of the definition, here it is:

paradox​

[ par-uh-doks ]
noun
  1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
  2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
  3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
  4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Per #1, Titus 1:12 perfectly fits - seemingly absurd but expressing a possible truth.
Per #2, I await your explanation why this might fit
Per #3, Ditto
Per #4, The discussion here has brought out ample evidence of this from multiple commentators and historical sources.

Like, are you aware that not every Christian relies on sola scriptura?

I am not afraid of death. When it comes, I pray that I won't suffer horribly and that my family will not be financially burdened, but that's pretty much it. No one "beats" death, but Christians regard death as the beginning of eternal life, so my view is "Don't worry--enjoy every precious day and moment...and be ready."
Yes. But they are not the driving force behind our current political culture war. Not that this is a pass. They do nothing to stop their lunatic fringe. They allow their fellow Christians to make America ugly.

So you wish it. And you pray to make your wish come true.

Yes. But they are not the driving force behind our current political culture war. Not that this is a pass. They do nothing to stop their lunatic fringe. They allow their fellow Christians to make America ugly.

So you wish it. And you pray to make your wish come true.
Matters of conscience are individual choices. And blaming America's problems to what you deem a religious lunatic fringe without considering any other factors is both oversimplistic and naive.

I've yet to see your explanation as to why the paradox exists, or how it is somehow paradoxical.

In case some here aren't aware of the definition, here it is:

paradox​

[ par-uh-doks ]

noun
  1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
  2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
  3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
  4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Per #1, Titus 1:12 perfectly fits - seemingly absurd but expressing a possible truth.
Per #2, I await your explanation why this might fit
Per #3, Ditto
Per #4, The discussion here has brought out ample evidence of this from multiple commentators and historical sources.
Per #1. Please explain the "possible truth" relating exclusively to Titus 1:12 without reference to another Bible verse. That's what I'm after

Matters of conscience are individual choices. And blaming America's problems to what you deem a religious lunatic fringe without considering any other factors is both oversimplistic and naive.
How is it oversimplistic? What other factors?

Per #1. Please explain the "possible truth" relating exclusively to Titus 1:12 without reference to another Bible verse. That's what I'm after
See #4

It's a paradox. It just doesn't matter to you. You want and NEED the Bible to be the word of God.
Strange, but you probably have more need for the Bible than I do. I have a relationship with God that doesn't require me to "need" the Bible to be the Word of God. Besides, as I already pointed out to you, what we have today are only translations/versions of texts that were only copies of the Word of God. The original no longer exists.

Like, are you aware that not every Christian relies on sola scriptura?

I am not afraid of death. When it comes, I pray that I won't suffer horribly and that my family will not be financially burdened, but that's pretty much it. No one "beats" death, but Christians regard death as the beginning of eternal life, so my view is "Don't worry--enjoy every precious day and moment...and be ready."
Amen!

Not at all...I am looking forward to everlasting life, just not in heaven...

If not Heaven............................ where? Hell?

That's another surprising remark from you.

If the new earth will be the abode of God - then, the new earth will be "heaven."
Heaven is where God is.

Last edited:
If not Heaven............................ where? Hell?

That's another surprising remark from you.

If the new earth will be the abode of God - then, the new earth will be "heaven."
Heaven is where God is.
Hogwash...the heavens will always be the heavens, as the earth will always be the earth...

"As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah,+
But the earth he has given to the sons of men." Psalm 115:16

"For it is not to angels that he has subjected the inhabited earth to come,+ about which we are speaking." Hebrews 2:5

"But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise,+ and in these righteousness is to dwell." 2 Peter 3:13

Hogwash...the heavens will always be the heavens, as the earth will always be the earth...
"As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah,+
But the earth he has given to the sons of men." Psalm 115:16

"For it is not to angels that he has subjected the inhabited earth to come,+ about which we are speaking." Hebrews 2:5

"But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise,+ and in these righteousness is to dwell." 2 Peter 3:13

What is "hogwash" about it?

Heaven........................... is where God is.

Ezekiel 37
27 My dwelling place also will be among them; and I will be their God, and they will be My people.
28 And the nations will know that I am the Lord who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forever.”’”

Jesus is God.

Revelation 21

The New Heaven and Earth

21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea.
2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold,
the tabernacle of God is among the people, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,
4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”

5 And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He *said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”
6 Then He said to me, “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give water to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life, without cost.
7 The one who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.

Peter refers to the promise given in Isaiah's.

The heavens - plural - is the universe, or the expanse of sky as seen when we look up.
Yes, they will still exists, but they will be NEW. Different.

Isaiah 65

17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.

19 I will also rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in My people;
And there will no longer be heard in her
The voice of weeping and the sound of crying.
20 No longer will there be in it an infant who lives only a few days,
Or an old person who does not live out his days;
For the youth will die at the age of a hundred,
And the one who does not reach the age of a hundred
Will be thought accursed.
21 They will build houses and inhabit them;
They will also plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 They will not build and another inhabit,
They will not plant and another eat;
For as the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people,
And My chosen ones will fully enjoy the work of their hands.
23 They will not labor in vain,
Or give birth to children for disaster;
For they are the descendants of those blessed by the Lord,
And their descendants with them.

24 It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; while they are still speaking, I will listen.

25 The wolf and the lamb will graze together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox; and dust will be the serpent’s food. They will do no evil or harm on all My holy mountain,” says the Lord.

Of course, through the grace of God, that is no longer exclusive to Jews.
It is a promise that has been extended to Gentiles.
His people are the disciples of Christ.

Last edited:
Not to my satisfaction

Nothing will be to your satisfaction......UNLESS WE FOLLOW YOUR SCRIPT about this stupid paradox!

Somehow you think you've discovered an "AHA!-Gotcha!" -moment to discredit the Bible.
It's aready been explained in so many ways by several posters why it doesn't matter!

What? Just because Epimenides was described as a "prophet," doesn't mean he was a prophet of the Christian God!

Epimenides was also said to be half-mythical. Associated with the pagan gods!

The mythical character of the traditions of Epimenides is sufficiently indicated by the fact of his being called the son of a nymph, and of his being reckoned among the Curetes.

It seems, however, pretty clear, that he was a native of Phaestus in Crete,2 and that he spent the greater part of his life at Cnossus, whence he is sometimes called a Cnossian.

You know what a nymph is? A daughter of ZEUS!

If Epimenides was a real guy - for him to be described as the son of a nymph - would mean that he must be a follower of the gods/goddesses of the time!
He must be a self-proclaimed prophet of those pagan gods.

The reason Paul had quoted him was more likely only due to Epimenides' popularity among the Greeks!
Paul was just emphasizing his point!

Therefore, your prepared script had fallen flat even before the get-go!
Your paradox is irrelevant to the credibility of the Bible!

Oh, boy! hahahaha You're doing a Smalley! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
What is a Christian to make of "One of Crete's own prophets has said it: Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, idle bellies. He has surly told the truth."

You must've mistakenly thought Epimenides was a Christian prophet who hailed from Crete.
In light of the explanation in post #63 - "Crete's OWN prophet" - should take on a whole new meaning to you.

"One of pagan Crete's own pagan prophet has said......."

There was a proliferation of gods and goddesses - Greeks were heavily into them at the time!

So much for the Biblical claim of God being 'Omnipresent'.

He is Omnipresent.

Heaven is described to be His throne. His abode.
Where God dwells, would be Heaven.

If being Omnipresnt and having a dwelling place at the same time would be a mind-boggler to those who cannot grasp the concept of God - I suppose, Christ being in all His disciples, would be another.
How many Christs are there? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom