• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Title 42. Keep it or not?

Grandpappy

America First Populist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Should we keep Title 42 in place? There is some speculation that Biden may keep it going.
A wave of border jumpers are patiently waiting!

I think we are probably past these large scale federal COVID mitigation actions.

I think Congress should get off their collective asses and do something meaningful about Immigration reform in place of sitting back and complaining to favorable networks about the actions of one administration or the next.

I believe 1986 was the last time something meaningful was done and even with that it is largely ignored.

In terms of what it does and its supposed purpose, I'd be tempted to keep it a little longer, given the recent rise in Corvid cases.

However, I'd like to see much stronger immigration enforcement, so I'd tighten-up the border just on general principle.

I think Congress should get off their collective asses and do something meaningful about Immigration reform in place of sitting back and complaining to favorable networks about the actions of one administration or the next.

I believe 1986 was the last time something meaningful was done and even with that it is largely ignored.

While 'reform' might be good, IMHO enforcement of our current laws, including those on the hiring side, would be a good start.

What more can be done?

We stopped 1/8th of the world’s population…..

Use things for their intended purpose.

OP wants anything that can be twisted to block people from following US law in presenting at border to seek asylum because eww brown people.

Ha!! To all the naysayers out there who doubted that Democrats could deliver when they promised us "smart, effective border security," I say...

Good call.

I completely agree we need some kind of realistic immigration policy. This wouldn't involve a total shut down, but possibly something based on needing workers rather than just whoever jumps the fence.

Should we keep Title 42 in place? There is some speculation that Biden may keep it going.
A wave of border jumpers are patiently waiting!
Title 42 is about a public health emergency. Is there a public health emergency?

While 'reform' might be good, IMHO enforcement of our current laws, including those on the hiring side, would be a good start.

Politics screwed that up a long way back.

Politics screwed that up a long way back.

Well, if politics precludes the enforcement of current statute, what makes anything think the political will is there to both rewrite the statutes and enforce them?

Well, if politics precludes the enforcement of current statute, what makes anything think the political will is there to both rewrite the statutes and enforce them?

It is a good point, and I am unsure there is a solid answer to that as it would not be the first time legislation ends up costly and/or difficult to see through.

The main issue I do have is our current immigration code, enforced or otherwise, is out of date. Even with 'pie in the sky' perfect enforcement I highly doubt all of a sudden immigration issues would stop. Why? Because the root of all immigration is economic. Quintuple funding for enforcement and illegal immigration continues to occur so long as enough see the risk to obtain new economic condition here vs. where they came from.

However, for the purposes of this thread keeping title 42 is a purposeful distraction.

If the original intention was to slow down immigration masquerading as covid response then we can conclude with ease the debate today on keeping it or not is really about something other than covid. No matter if for or against keeping it, we are really talking about the politics of one administration potentially undoing something from the previous administration all the while Congress sits on the sidelines.

It is a good point, and I am unsure there is a solid answer to that as it would not be the first time legislation ends up costly and/or difficult to see through.

The main issue I do have is our current immigration code, enforced or otherwise, is out of date. Even with 'pie in the sky' perfect enforcement I highly doubt all of a sudden immigration issues would stop. Why? Because the root of all immigration is economic. Quintuple funding for enforcement and illegal immigration continues to occur so long as enough see the risk to obtain new economic condition here vs. where they came from.

However, for the purposes of this thread keeping title 42 is a purposeful distraction.

If the original intention was to slow down immigration masquerading as covid response then we can conclude with ease the debate today on keeping it or not is really about something other than covid. No matter if for or against keeping it, we are really talking about the politics of one administration potentially undoing something from the previous administration all the while Congress sits on the sidelines.
The bolded is the crux of the issue.

The last attempt was 2013 and the Gang of 8. A 4-4 bipartisan group that drafted immigration reform legislation. I forget how it got killed, but what interests me is this:

GANG-OF-EIGHT.jpg

Of the eight, five are still in office. There is no reason these five can't get back together and address the immigration problem to the nation. It's a wedge issue, used by both parties, and as such, neither party wants to surrender this tool.

Back
Top Bottom