• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tired of Repetitive Arguing About Climate Change, Scientist Makes a Bot to Argue For

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Tired of Repetitive Arguing About Climate Change, Scientist Makes a Bot to Argue For Him | Popular Science

Getting into a climate change debate on Twitter could be even more exhausting than it sounds now that a software developer named Nigel Leck has automated the process. Tired of arguing with climate change deniers in 140 character quips, the programmer wrote a script to do it for him. Chatbot @AI_AGW scans Twitter every five minutes searching for hundreds of phrases that fit the usual denier argument paradigm. Then it serves them up some science.

People on the other end of an argument don’t usually pick up on the fact that they are arguing with a program and will continue the argument. And AI_AGW continues to fire back responses. Even when the tweeter keeps throwing the same argument at the chatbot, it will respond with a variety of different arguments and links.

Re: Tired of Repetitive Arguing About Climate Change, Scientist Makes a Bot to Argue

Absolute genius. I feel like that robot must feel, sometimes. Get spammed with the same arguments over and over, point out their flaws and show evidence only to have the other guy just ignore it and move onto the next talking point. Repeat ten or twelve times then he goes away, declaring victory. The next guy immediately takes his place and repeats the same arguments.

I can't even remember the last time I heard a NEW argument from a skeptic.

Re: Tired of Repetitive Arguing About Climate Change, Scientist Makes a Bot to Argue

Dude. These people don't think Co2 traps heat, or that nearly a trillion metric tons of it released since the Industrial Revolution have any effect. Reason is not something that can be applied.

If the scientist is tired of arguing, maybe he should take up knitting.

If the scientist is tired of arguing, maybe he should take up knitting.

That would be less stressful. Maybe more dangerous considering the field of science. Needles are dangerous!

Interesting idea. I'd like to see this program in action to see how effectively it actually debates. Perhaps the other side will write a counter program and the two will become accidentally involved in a bot battle to the death!

Now if only this bot had expandable memory to include a wider variety of topics. We could install it at DP to counter the 10 million abortion, "activist judge", and gay marriage threads.

Sorry, my robot beat you.

I was reading an article this week in a scientifc magazine, and there was an article about a climatologist, who does believe in AGW, who was trying to actually reach across to skeptics and have meanigful discussion with them. In turned she has been spurned by her colleagues for even bothering to reach across the aisle and have those discussion. She likens the AGW scientists to moving from an ivory tower, into a fortress. It is a shame that scientists don't want to have open dialogue about this topic, and this "robot" is just further proof that there is an unwillingness to be open to alternative theories and explanations. I understand there is some dumb commentary on the skeptic side, but that doesn't mean that there isn't legitimate debate to be had regarding models, data collection etc......

I was reading an article this week in a scientifc magazine, and there was an article about a climatologist, who does believe in AGW, who was trying to actually reach across to skeptics and have meanigful discussion with them. In turned she has been spurned by her colleagues for even bothering to reach across the aisle and have those discussion. She likens the AGW scientists to moving from an ivory tower, into a fortress. It is a shame that scientists don't want to have open dialogue about this topic, and this "robot" is just further proof that there is an unwillingness to be open to alternative theories and explanations. I understand there is some dumb commentary on the skeptic side, but that doesn't mean that there isn't legitimate debate to be had regarding models, data collection etc......

I think the real issue is presenting legitimate facts and research.

And the skeptics turning around, throwing it off the table, calling you a Liberal, communist Hoaxer that's just trying to tax them to death. Saying god would never let it happen and storming out the room.

that kind of attitude wouldn't make me, make a robot to argue with them. It would make me wanna make a Robocop to kick their ass.

I agree that an open, serious, well thought out debate is a great thing, but twitter ain't the best media for it to happen in, and this bot is probably saving this particular bloke quite a few headaches.

Bull****. They offer argument and counterpoint to skeptics all the goddamn time. They publish peer-reviewed papers in direct response to a lot of these wild-ass claims, they create websites that collect arguments and supporting data in direct response to skeptics all the time. Gimme a link to this article you supposedly read. The IPCC reports are not partisan, there's no "aisle" to reach across. They're a report detailing the scientific opinion of that organization. It would be nice if skeptics would, for once, try and discuss science instead of conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Bull****. They offer argument and counterpoint to skeptics all the goddamn time. They publish peer-reviewed papers in direct response to a lot of these wild-ass claims, they create websites that collect arguments and supporting data in direct response to skeptics all the time. Gimme a link to this article you supposedly read. The IPCC reports are not partisan, there's no "aisle" to reach across. They're a report detailing the scientific opinion of that organization. It would be nice if skeptics would, for once, try and discuss science instead of conspiracy theories.

Not bull****, here is your link.
Climate Heretic: Judith Curry Turns on Her Colleagues: Scientific American

I wonder how hard conservatives would argue against climate change if the oil companies weren't on their side...

I think this "bot" that targets skeptics and vomits rhetoric is a very arrogant thing to do. Skeptics have every right to voice their opinions and have them listened to without being so dishonorably disrespected by others. The arrogance within the scientific community is disgusting and repulsive. The theory of AGW is not net in stone and many have legitimate challenges to it. It's flaws have been protected by bias panels that rule in favor of it because they want it to be true.

I think this "bot" that targets skeptics and vomits rhetoric is a very arrogant thing to do. Skeptics have every right to voice their opinions and have them listened to without being so dishonorably disrespected by others. The arrogance within the scientific community is disgusting and repulsive. The theory of AGW is not net in stone and many have legitimate challenges to it. It's flaws have been protected by bias panels that rule in favor of it because they want it to be true.

One guy programs a twitter bot, and it's indicative of "the scientific community" and their arrogance.
Meanwhile, skeptics straight up make **** up, and it's given a pass?
One guy got annoyed having to answer the same "legitimate" questions over and over again. So? I know the feeling.

AGW theory says the rising temperatures and sea levels will make it harder for the world to feed itself, hitting the third world especially hard. And you think scientists want this to be true.

Hmmmm. Not anymore?

Climate scientists plan campaign against global warming skeptics
The American Geophysical Union plans to announce that 700 researchers have agreed to speak out on the issue. Other scientists plan a pushback against congressional conservatives who have vowed to kill regulations on greenhouse gas emissions.

Reporting from Washington — Faced with rising political attacks, hundreds of climate scientists are joining a broad campaign to push back against congressional conservatives who have threatened prominent researchers with investigations and vowed to kill regulations to rein in man-made greenhouse gas emissions.

The still-evolving efforts reveal a shift among climate scientists, many of whom have traditionally stayed out of politics and avoided the news media. Many now say they are willing to go toe-to-toe with their critics, some of whom gained new power after the Republicans won control of the House in Tuesday's election.

Climate science: Climate scientists plan campaign against global warming skeptics - latimes.com

It wont do any good. Deniers are determined to keep their head buried in the sand. This whole debate kind of reminds me of those who hold out against the idea of evolution.

I'm going to remain optimistic. At least this is a step in the right direction, IMO.

It's flaws have been protected by bias panels that rule in favor of it because they want it to be true.

And what conspiratorial plot is this that they want it to be true, throwing out their whole lifetimes of objectivity and devotion to the scientific method?

I wonder how hard conservatives would argue against climate change if the oil companies weren't on their side...

I'm more curious how progressives will react when they follow the over consumption angle to its logical conclusion.

Last edited:

I'm more curious how progressives will react when they follow the over consumption angle to its logical conclusion.

The logical conclusion is steadily replacing fossil fuels with nuclear, solar, wind, and geothermal energy. The tricky part will be heavy transportation, we'll probably never totally eliminate oil consumption in that area. (good luck running a 747 or train on batteries!) Barring some miracle development in battery technology or some kind of cold fusion science fiction type discovery.

There's no terribly compelling reason we can't eliminate fossil fuels as a source of electrical power and in personal transportation. Is that the logical conclusion you're referring to?

Or is your logical conclusion some absurd scenario that the denialists cook up that no scientist has ever actually proposed or supported?

The logical conclusion is steadily replacing fossil fuels with nuclear, solar, wind, and geothermal energy. The tricky part will be heavy transportation, we'll probably never totally eliminate oil consumption in that area. (good luck running a 747 or train on batteries!) Barring some miracle development in battery technology or some kind of cold fusion science fiction type discovery.

There's no terribly compelling reason we can't eliminate fossil fuels as a source of electrical power and in personal transportation. Is that the logical conclusion you're referring to?

Or is your logical conclusion some absurd scenario that the denialists cook up that no scientist has ever actually proposed or supported?

the logical conclusion is that a decrease in consumption is the solution you seek, but that flys directy in the face of the progressive angle that we must create a suitable living condiitions for everyone regardless of population levels.

two chickens in every pot, and the minute the economy recedes, you all freak out like it's end of times.

good luck coming to any solution in that insane enviroment. You better hope the denialists are on to something, because you will never accept the solutions that would do anything positive.

the logical conclusion is that a decrease in consumption is the solution you seek, but that flys directy in the face of the progressive angle that we must create a suitable living condiitions for everyone regardless of population levels.

two chickens in every pot, and the minute the economy recedes, you all freak out like it's end of times.

good luck coming to any solution in that insane enviroment. You better hope the denialists are on to something, because you will never accept the solutions that would do anything positive.

I take it your definition of "suitable living conditions" is an American level of electricity and resource consumption. That's probably where your mistake is happening.

Back
Top Bottom