• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tired of politics?

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Is anyone tired of politics? Like...just bury your head in the sand and just busy yourself with distractions? I'm kinda getting to that point. Pessimistic that anything positive will come out of either side, so it's ultimately futile to care about the ebbs and flows of it.

I've always kinda had this fatalistic POV but debating/arguing/trolling has been entertaining enough at times that I've participated in it merely for the process/experience. Even that is becoming boring. I'm not sure why...combination of the mundaneness of it and those with opposing views don't bother to mount any real counterpoints > 90% of the time.

We could all be so much more productive with our time I agree. These forums become somewhat addicting but we all become like dogs barking at each other from our front yards.

And like the dogs who are fenced in we being behind a computer none of us ever really do anything other than bark.

barking-or-howling-dogs-cartoon-characters-group-vector-20288627.jpg

Is anyone tired of politics? Like...just bury your head in the sand and just busy yourself with distractions? I'm kinda getting to that point. Pessimistic that anything positive will come out of either side, so it's ultimately futile to care about the ebbs and flows of it.

I've always kinda had this fatalistic POV but debating/arguing/trolling has been entertaining enough at times that I've participated in it merely for the process/experience. Even that is becoming boring. I'm not sure why...combination of the mundaneness of it and those with opposing views don't bother to mount any real counterpoints > 90% of the time.
Politics is everywhere all the time and in most everything we do. How can we be tired of it??

If nothing positive comes from it , then that is on US

I kind of feel the same way. In my year+ here I've been posting mostly in just a few subforums. I feel like I've learned a lot, but for a while now I've felt like I've been posting the same stuff and arguing with the same people, and I feel like every debate I get into is something that's been rehashed a 1000 times before. It's draining and feels kind of pointless. And I've found that when there's nothing new to discuss, the focus turns away from the topic and towards the people posting, and that's when it starts getting personal and debating loses all its joy. But I'm trying a new strategy where I click on random threads and try to learn/post in a topic where I don't have strong opinions yet. I feel like when I do that my focus is on the topic being discussed and not the other posters, and that's when I start enjoying myself again and feel like there's a point to discussing politics.

Yep, people are pretty dug in.

Yeah, I am extremely tired of it. I used to have a lot more fun in online debates and keeping up with current events, but everything is so vitriolic right now and politics really is everywhere and in everything. I would not say I busy myself with "distractions" because that would imply that politics are so absolutely important that any other pursuit is mere triviality (which I would not accuse you of implying, Fishking). I do prefer to engage in more positive endeavors. Thankfully I have a great home life with my wife and son, hanging out in person and online with friends, spending time my extended family, catching up on reading, hobby activities, and cooking. If my wife and I never watched the news for anything more than local events and the weather, and did not engage in political discussions online, neither of us would be the poorer for it.

Actually, just tired of what Political Forums allow to pass as political discussions on their forums.

I think its going to be worse over the next 4-5 years and then probably we will begin seeing the light at the end of this particular tunnel.

It may take 20 years or more for the nation to fully recover from this period though.

This is, of course, my opinion and I cannot objectively verify it.

Actually, just tired of what Political Forums allow to pass as political discussions on their forums.
AMEN....

That being said; this is one of the better moderated forums I have encountered. And I've been slapped down more than once here. The only thing that really can sabotage a forum is inconsistency. Other forums I'm on are so inconsistent in their moderation it's borderline laughable at this point.

I think its going to be worse over the next 4-5 years and then probably we will begin seeing the light at the end of this particular tunnel.

It may take 20 years or more for the nation to fully recover from this period though.

The 2024 election is three years. Before that is the 2022 election which will decide Congress. One way or another, change is coming.

I agree that it will take time for the nation to recover from the assault on the American way that we have seen. Never in history has the apparatus of government been used against a sitting President like it was from 2017-2020. The wounds are deep and the anger significant.

The 2024 election is three years. Before that is the 2022 election which will decide Congress. One way or another, change is coming.

I agree that it will take time for the nation to recover from the assault on the American way that we have seen. Never in history has the apparatus of government been used against a sitting President like it was from 2017-2020. The wounds are deep and the anger significant.
"American Way" ????? What the crap is THAT ??

"American Way" ????? What the crap is THAT ??
The Constitution and the Rule of Law. Are these concepts foreign to you?

For example, a party is supposed to have a factual basis for the impeachment of an official. We had two impeachments with nary a fact to be found.

I'm more frustrated than tired.

Be the change you want to see.

Yes...I understand you have a crush on Trump as he's always running around inside your head. Doesn't change the fact that we already have two threads on this ****ing worthless fauxrage of a story.

You would bitch if he went to a memorial ceremony as well, so spare me the idiotic commentary and your ****ing dumb insinuations.

That is certainly your perception of the issue.

Perhaps. I've noticed my postings here are way down. I do comment, post on anything I see that might effect elections. But policy, issues, for the most part these days I refuse to comment on any of them. Mainly because I see it a total waste. In today's modern political era of polarization, the great divide, the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship I already know Democrats and Liberals will automatically oppose anything Republican and conservative, vice versa is true also. Republicans and conservative automatically opposing anything Democratic or liberal with no thought to the merits of the proposal. just who proposed it.

Now forecasting elections, knowing how an election is shaping up, one has hard numbers to go by there. Those numbers will change over time, they're dynamic, they may indicate one thing today, another tomorrow, but they're hard numbers. Not opinions, not wants of partisan folks, but cold hard numbers. I've also noticed it's getting harder and harder, rarer if you will to have an interesting, intelligent conversation about issues, about elected officials, candidates, etc. without the name calling and personal attacks on them.

So yes, in a way I've tied of politics. At least a good portion of politics. But politics, elections, still interest me. Not that I care who wins and who loses, I think both major parties and all their candidates are totally useless. that both major parties put their party first and foremost and have forgotten about America as a whole, neither gives a coyote's howl about the country, the whole country, just their base. my bottom line, get elections right, predict the correct winners and losers. All this other stuff, issues, policy, I don't gives an owl's hoot about them anymore. Each party is trying to use the power of government to force their agenda, political views, philosophy, ideology on all the rest of us. It makes no difference to me which party is doing that. I just want my forecasts to be correct, to heck with all the other stuff. I plain don't care anymore.

Yeah, I am extremely tired of it. I used to have a lot more fun in online debates and keeping up with current events, but everything is so vitriolic right now and politics really is everywhere and in everything. I would not say I busy myself with "distractions" because that would imply that politics are so absolutely important that any other pursuit is mere triviality (which I would not accuse you of implying, Fishking). I do prefer to engage in more positive endeavors. Thankfully I have a great home life with my wife and son, hanging out in person and online with friends, spending time my extended family, catching up on reading, hobby activities, and cooking. If my wife and I never watched the news for anything more than local events and the weather, and did not engage in political discussions online, neither of us would be the poorer for it.
Yeah...when I start doing DnD stuff with my kids the work put in to DM stuff, paint minis, make props, ect. takes up a bit of time and it makes me less inclined to put in the effort to talk about politics.

Wish I could share your optimism. Unless we break the two party system, or have a fundamental shift on the size of the government, I don't see it changing. That people are so freaked out about the ideology of the people what get elected tells me the government has too much power.

Be the change you want to see.
There's no changing people who make three threads on Trump announcing for the WWE and think it's that important of a story. Sorry, but there isn't much reasoning to be had there. When I turn on troll mode, it's after I've exhausted normal discourse or the comment I'm responding to is just plain terrible (e.g. calling people Nazis).

Wish I could share your optimism. Unless we break the two party system, or have a fundamental shift on the size of the government, I don't see it changing. That people are so freaked out about the ideology of the people what get elected tells me the government has too much power.
I see it differently. The US is in a culture shift and its just rocky while one group leaves power and another takes it, we been through these types of moments before.

What generally follows is a golden age for a generation or two.

However, for the people in it, it tends to look like the end of the world.

When I turn on troll mode, it's after I've exhausted normal discourse or the comment I'm responding to is just plain terrible
Sometimes it's fun to get in some dunks. Half the fun of being here is watching other people get in very intense fights lol.

Edit: for example, aCultureWarrior is usually only useful for amusing yourself by trolling them in my opinion.
e.g. calling people Nazis
Well to be fair, there are a few actual Nazis on here.

Last edited:
I see it differently. The US is in a culture shift and its just rocky while one group leaves power and another takes it, we been through these types of moments before.

What generally follows is a golden age for a generation or two.

However, for the people in it, it tends to look like the end of the world.
Shifting to a single homogenous ideology doesn't give me any optimism either. The only thing I've ever seen come out of that is extremism and the only way it has been achieved is authoritarianism. I'd rather have deadlocked partisan bickering.

Shifting to a single homogenous ideology doesn't give me any optimism either. The only thing I've ever seen come out of that is extremism and the only way it has been achieved is authoritarianism. I'd rather have deadlocked partisan bickering.
Like conservatism, liberalism is a coalition. If one or another group succeeds, then you are going to see that monolith break up and create a new dynamic.

Sometimes it's fun to get in some dunks. Half the fun of being here is watching other people get in very intense fights lol.
It's entertaining but the problem I've run into is that's all it's been. I can count on less than 1 hand those who oppose my views actually making valid reponsese.
Well to be fair, there are a few actual Nazis on here.
I think there are some close, for sure. But it's been the go-to for anyone on the right for a bit now.

Like conservatism, liberalism is a coalition. If one or another group succeeds, then you are going to see that monolith break up and create a new dynamic.
Maybe...sometimes that doesn't happen though. You have to admit the dangers when that type of dynamic exists. Keep in mind we are seeing that a bit right now. There are many liberals that do no fail in lockstep with many of the far-left but they will not speak up due to fear of being targeted.

Back
Top Bottom