• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tiny bird, abandoned by flock, nests in UK woman’s hair for 84 days

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

A bored and homesick English woman living in Africa became a human nest for a weakling finch for nearly three months.

Each day, he made little ‘nests’ in my hair, on the groove of my collarbone, which filled me with awe,” Hannah Bourne-Taylor, a London-based photographer and copywriter, told The Guardian this week.

“He’d tuck himself under a curtain of hair and gather individual strands with his beak, sculpting them into a round of woven locks, resembling a small nest, then settling inside,” she continued. “He would allow it to unravel when he was done and start again the next day.”
======================================================
Sounds like she got a kick out of the bird's behavior. Otherwise she should use Head & Shoulders.

It's a weird, but interesting story.

“After one particularly bad (September 2018) thunderstorm, I found a fledgling – a bronze-winged mannikin finch – barely a month old, on the ground,” Bourne-Taylor said. “He was abandoned by his flock, his nest blown from the mango tree. His eyes were tightly shut and he was shuddering, too young to survive alone. He was the size of my little finger, with feathers the color of rich tea biscuits, inky eyes and a small bill like a pencil lead.”

The little finch and human quickly bonded.
The next day, he woke with his mouth open and a shrill hunger call. I fed him termites and, instinctively, chirped at him,” Bourne-Taylor said. “He chirped back and clambered into my hand, digging in his beak and head, then fell asleep in my palm. As far as he was concerned, I was his mother. For the next 84 days, the fledgling lived on me.”
The finch finally grew strong enough by the end of the year to join his flock.

When she returned from Christmas break, in January, “I’d watch out for him when the finches flew past,” Bourne-Taylor said. “Every now and then, one would hang back, on a branch, and stare at me. I still cry when I think of him.

Back
Top Bottom