• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time's Persons of the Year: Journalists

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The Capital Gazette newspaper of Maryland that endured a mass shooting. Three Reuters reporters persecuted for their reporting. All have been chosen as Time magazine's Person of the Year.

"As we looked at the choices it became clear that the manipulation and abuse of truth is really the common thread in so many of this year's major stories from Russia to Riyadh, to Silicon Valley," Edward Felsenthal, Time editor in chief, said Tuesday morning on NBC's "Today" show. "And so we chose to highlight four individuals and one group who have taken great risks in pursuit of greater truths."

Khashoggi, 59, a Saudi journalist in self-imposed exile, was allegedly murdered at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, in October. Investigators believe his death stemmed from his critical reporting of the Saudi government.

"This is the first time we've ever chosen someone no longer alive as the Person of the Year. But it's also very rare that a person's influence grows so immensely in death," Felsenthal said. "His murder prompted a global reassessment of the Saudi Crown Prince and a really long overdue look at the devastating war in Yemen."

Others selected were:

-- The Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland, which was attacked by a gunman in June. Five staffers were killed.
"The Gazette, one of the oldest papers in America, did what it's done before the Revolution and got a paper out the next day and continues to do so with courage," Felsenthal said.
-- Maria Ressa, a Reuters journalist who has come under attack for her reporting of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte.
Felsenthal described Ressa as an "an extraordinary individual who has relentlessly pursued the current story in the Philippines."

"She has exposed Duterte's propaganda machine, the extrajudicial killings and ... she's been a legal target in the Philippines, currently under indictment in what many perceive as retribution for her reporting," he said.

-- Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, two Reuters reporters currently detained in Myanmar for their investigative reporting that uncovered the mass killing of Muslims.

"Two amazing reporters who exposed a mass killing of 10 Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar and are in prison a year to the day tomorrow as a result of their reporting," Felsenthal said.

The free press has been under assault both here at home and around the world. I think this is a good choice.

The free press has been under assault both here at home and around the world. I think this is a good choice.

Most members here won't. They will see it laughably as egotistical. BTW, you are missing a link!

This is fake nooz! The press is the enemy of the people. Like those rotten people trying to take away my Christmas, and force men to pee in the bathroom with me, and have anal sechs.

Fake news, no smocking gun.

I hereby award myself this award. I'd like to thank myself for choosing myself, because without myself this never could have happend.

Last edited:

If being a journalist and being under attack puts you in the running for person of the year, I wonder why there aren't any Mexican journalists on that list as they are killed every day by the cartels. Why do they have to go half way around the world to find people for this list?

If being a journalist and being under attack puts you in the running for person of the year, I wonder why there aren't any Mexican journalists on that list as they are killed every day by the cartels. Why do they have to go half way around the world to find people for this list?

Time named four individuals and one group (all journalists) as the POTY.

Mexians journalists fall into that group.

Time named four individuals and one group (all journalists) as the POTY.

Mexians journalists fall into that group.

No Mexican journalists work for The Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland which is the group they named.

It does seem odd they left out Mexico, which is one of the deadliest countries for journalists, outside countries at war.

Sorry, I keep trying...but I just can't seem to drum up any sympathy for the death of a journalist who supported a terrorist organization.

Moving on...

Sorry, I keep trying...but I just can't seem to drum up any sympathy for the death of a journalist who supported a terrorist organization.

Moving on...

Yet you support a President who does...

Needless to say. The guy got beheaded trying to take down one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Moving on...

From a terrorist country, as well!

Corrected for accuracy:

The lying press has been called out and is outraged about being revealed. Of course they name themselves as time man of the year...

Top of the world ma!

It does seem odd they left out Mexico, which is one of the deadliest countries for journalists, outside countries at war.

Erdogan is also dangerous to journalists. There are more journalists incarcerated in Turkey than in any other nation on earth.

Moving on...

He was chopped to pieces on the order of an authoritarian dictator installed by Kushner and Trump. I don't give a damn that he supported the muslim brotherhood. I care that the guy you most likely voted for is defending the brutal murder of a journalist.

That you cannot drum up any sympathy tells me precisely what sort of person you are, one I want nothing to do with.

You righties and your embrace of this authoritarian behavior is exceedingly troubling.

Yet you support a President who does...

Needless to say. The guy got beheaded trying to take down one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

The very same country who the US has worked with under many presidents, including Obama, even when they knew what Saudi Arabia was like. The Kashoggi killing was not really an Earth shattering thing for them. And yet the left only attack Trump for it.

Corrected for accuracy:

The lying press has been called out and is outraged about being revealed. Of course they name themselves as time man of the year...

Top of the world ma!

Yeah. The left attack Trump whenever he calls himself great or the best but here we have liberal Time magazine naming itself person of the year.

The attacks cited in the original post are reasonable examples of attacking the press.

The very same country who the US has worked with under many presidents, including Obama, even when they knew what Saudi Arabia was like. The Kashoggi killing was not really an Earth shattering thing for them. And yet the left only attack Trump for it.

Jared Kushner was helping them through the scandal....:roll:

Back
Top Bottom