• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time traveler caught on tape?

Coronado

Voluntary Resignation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

This is a video clip apparently taken in 1928 and recently re-discovered on a behind-the-scenes segment for a Charlie Chaplin DVD.

Very weird ... :shock:

maybe she just had earwax?

Why is that supposed to be a time traveller?

Why is that supposed to be a time traveller?
That was just the headline I found it under. The implication is that she is speaking into a cellphone or some other wireless communication device, which obviously is anachronistic for the 1920s.

I'm not exactly inclined to take their word for it that it was shot in 1928.

In any case, unless she brought a whole cellular network with her, towers, substations, relays, and all, the phone wouldn't work in 1928.

I was pulled over a few months ago because a cop driving past me saw me talking on my cell phone. I was actually scratching the side of my head. Point being that a certain motion is so identifiable in modern society with a specific action that a different one can easily be mistaken for that action.

Either that or time travelers from the future aren't smart enough to refrain from doing something so out-of-the-ordinary in public.

In any case, unless she brought a whole cellular network with her, towers, substations, relays, and all, the phone wouldn't work in 1928.

Dude, she's from the future.

True, but a modern handheld radio works for some distance without the aid of any sort of wireless infrastructure. Also, if a person possesses the technology to travel in time, they surely also have the technology to communicate over vast distances and perhaps from one period of time to another.

lady bitching to herself about an earache? Or just crazy lady talking to herself holding her head?

Last edited:
I was pulled over a few months ago because a cop driving past me saw me talking on my cell phone. I was actually scratching the side of my head. Point being that a certain motion is so identifiable in modern society with a specific action that a different one can easily be mistaken for that action.
Were you talking into your palm as you were doing it?
Either that or time travelers from the future aren't smart enough to refrain from doing something so out-of-the-ordinary in public.
That's what's funny to me. If you are a time traveler, would you be walking down the street talking on the phone? If you got caught (which surely you would know about before you went thanks to the historical record of the Internet), would you refrain from doing that on your trip? Could you even stop it? Should you go back and fix it?

It appears that she is holding something up to her ear. maybe she is just scratching her ear and talking to herself. This would be much more likely than a time traveler. just sayin'...

It appears that she is holding something up to her ear. maybe she is just scratching her ear and talking to herself. This would be much more likely than a time traveler. just sayin'...
Well yeah, but that's not nearly as fun as thinking she's a time traveler. :cool:

the site I saw the original story on commented that "she" looked more like a man in drag than an actual woman.

cross dressing time traveler who is too stupid not to get photographed talking on a cell phone... yep, much more interesting than a crazy baglady.

Weight still seems to be a problem in the future. :shock:

Weight still seems to be a problem in the future. :shock:
They never cured baldness, either. Exhibit A -- Captain Picard.

True, but a modern handheld radio works for some distance without the aid of any sort of wireless infrastructure. Also, if a person possesses the technology to travel in time, they surely also have the technology to communicate over vast distances and perhaps from one period of time to another.

Well, not really; those technologies would be pretty much unrelated.

I'm still quite skeptical that this was really shot in 1928, though.

To me it looks like she was trying to keep the sun out of her face while shouting at somebody.

Well, not really; those technologies would be pretty much unrelated.

I'm still quite skeptical that this was really shot in 1928, though.
The technologies are not related, but I would assume that technology and science in general would progress in such a way that the two technologies would probably exist.

She couldn't possibly be a time traveler. According to Stephen Hawking, if tie travel were possible, it's only possible to go forward, not back... because of the laws of causality.

She couldn't possibly be a time traveler. According to Stephen Hawking, if tie travel were possible, it's only possible to go forward, not back... because of the laws of causality.

Are you talking about that poor man's time travel via traveling at the speed of light?

Are you talking about that poor man's time travel via traveling at the speed of light?

Near the speed of light. Traveling at the speed of light would take all the energy in the universe.

Nope...

Stephen Hawking: Time Travel Possible, But Only Forward | Science | Epoch Times

Hawking said that it would take 86 years for such a spaceship to reach the edge of the galaxy, in which six of the years would be spent on accelerating the ship to 98 percent of the speed of light, according to the Daily Mail.

Time travel through the fourth dimension is realistic, said Hawking, such as finding a tiny wormhole and enlarging it wide enough for a space ship to fit in.

Nevertheless, only time travel forwards is possible. Otherwise it would violate the universe’s fundamental law—the cause before effect.

“Any kind of time travel to the past through wormholes or any other method is probably impossible, otherwise paradoxes would occur,” Hawking wrote. “So sadly, it looks like time travel to the past is never going to happen. A disappointment for dinosaur hunters and a relief for historians.

Back
Top Bottom