• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Time to take to the streets': Mobilizations planned as Supreme Court targets Roe

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Abortion rights advocates geared up to mobilize in the nation's capital and across the United States on Tuesday following the leak of a draft decision signaling that the Supreme Court's right-wing majority is poised to overturn Roe v. Wade.

"People should take to the streets across the country."

While the decision outlined in the draft opinion—authored by Justice Samuel Alito—is not yet final, it would strike a devastating blow to reproductive rights in large swaths of the U.S. Experts at the Guttmacher Institute have estimated that if the landmark 1973 decision is overturned, 26 states are "certain or likely" to completely outlaw abortion.

At least 13 states—including Arkansas, Kentucky, Utah, and Louisiana—currently have in place so-called "trigger laws" that would ban abortion in all or most cases automatically if the Supreme Court ends Roe.

The high court's final ruling in the closely watched case, which is centered on an abortion ban in Mississippi, is expected within the next two months.

"We're mobilizing," Shaunna Thomas, co-founder of UltraViolet, tweeted in the wake of Politico's report on the draft, which set off widespread outrage and spurred flash protests outside the Supreme Court Monday night.

"Be at SCOTUS or any federal courthouse tomorrow at 5 pm," Thomas wrote late Monday. "The leaked draft decision overturning Roe has confirmed everything we knew about this court's intentions and it is giving us an opportunity to show them how ungovernable we will be if they follow through."

An end to Roe is an outcome that right-wing forces in the U.S., backed by corporate power and cash, have been working toward for decades—and they appear prepared to take full advantage should the high court ultimately rule in their favor.

snip

Every pro-Choice person in America, beyond making your voice heard there is something you can do to materially effect this situation:

Civil Disobedience

Of law enforcement approach you while investigating an abortion “crime”, refuse to cooperate. If you end up on a jury deciding an abortion-related case, commit to refusing to convict regardless of the evidence presented by the prosecution.

Might make a difference in a few states where people are close to evenly divided on the issue, but there are states where legalized abortion is incredibly unpopular.

The best thing Dems could do to counter this development is go full pro-gun and lighten up on the trans-men in women's boxing thing. They'd probably win a lot more seats in state legislatures that way, and maybe even take enough seats in the Senate to pass federal pro-choice legislation.

Might make a difference in a few states where people are close to evenly divided on the issue, but there are states where legalized abortion is incredibly unpopular.

The best thing Dems could do to counter this development is go full pro-gun.
Many people on the left are pro guns and trust me we know how to use them.

Abortion rights advocates geared up to mobilize in the nation's capital and across the United States on Tuesday following the leak of a draft decision signaling that the Supreme Court's right-wing majority is poised to overturn Roe v. Wade.

While the decision outlined in the draft opinion—authored by Justice Samuel Alito—is not yet final, it would strike a devastating blow to reproductive rights in large swaths of the U.S. Experts at the Guttmacher Institute have estimated that if the landmark 1973 decision is overturned, 26 states are "certain or likely" to completely outlaw abortion.

At least 13 states—including Arkansas, Kentucky, Utah, and Louisiana—currently have in place so-called "trigger laws" that would ban abortion in all or most cases automatically if the Supreme Court ends Roe.

The high court's final ruling in the closely watched case, which is centered on an abortion ban in Mississippi, is expected within the next two months.

"We're mobilizing," Shaunna Thomas, co-founder of UltraViolet, tweeted in the wake of Politico's report on the draft, which set off widespread outrage and spurred flash protests outside the Supreme Court Monday night.

"Be at SCOTUS or any federal courthouse tomorrow at 5 pm," Thomas wrote late Monday. "The leaked draft decision overturning Roe has confirmed everything we knew about this court's intentions and it is giving us an opportunity to show them how ungovernable we will be if they follow through."

An end to Roe is an outcome that right-wing forces in the U.S., backed by corporate power and cash, have been working toward for decades—and they appear prepared to take full advantage should the high court ultimately rule in their favor.

snip
shrug...

As long as they remain peaceful...

Maybe people on the left are pro guns and trust me we know how to use them.

"Maybe" isn't going to change seats in elections. You think Beto is going to be governor of Texas any time soon after assuring everyone in the state that he is indeed coming for them?

Surprise Surprise! - Conservative Supreme Court Justices Lied To Us​

u36z4f27r6x81.png

"Maybe" isn't going to change seats in elections. You think Beto is going to be governor of Texas any time soon?
Sorry should be "Many" was a typo.

Sorry should be "Many" was a typo.

Still isn't going to make a difference unless the Democratic Party adopts that as it's platform.

u36z4f27r6x81.png
It's not much of a surprise. The Trump-Right has long sought to bring us back to pre-Civil War era.

They will regret doing this. That is all I'm going to say.

I don't know why I cannot quote Mycroft above...

Since it won't let me...

@Mycroft

You literally tell us you are on the right from your account info. I just joined this website and don't know you personally so I cannot speak as to if you are violent or not.

Since it won't let me...

@Mycroft

You literally tell us you are on the right from your account info. I just joined this website and don't know you personally so I cannot speak as to if you are violent or not.
I am a conservative. I am also on "my own side". I'm not a herd animal or a party animal.

And just so you know, I have never advocated for violent protests.

So...a suggestion: When you want to snark about "my side", it would behoove you to actually know what "my side" is before doing so.

u36z4f27r6x81.png
Of course, they are unqualitied, right wing hacks, put in for one reason. and conservatives only know how to lie and project, they are shitty people, plain and simple

Oh I didn't know conservatives were "left"

What stance will I see regarding peaceful protests if I search for your posts regarding January 6th?
shrug...

Do your search and find out.

And if I find out you support violent protests when it’s your side doing the protesting?
LOL!!

You won't.

But hey...instead of asking me stupid questions, just do it. (Though I don't think you will.)

How anyone can still support Trump and or the republicans after jan 6th is very telling and disgusting. They made their bed now they must lay in it.

Back
Top Bottom