• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time to Invest in Smith & Wesson

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
After all, we just had the single largest mass shooting in US History. So hopefully you are getting your investment dollars put into gun manufacturing stock because those stocks tend to do very well after mass shootings. Gun manufacturing executives have admitted to such and many on wall street have recognized the potential gold they stand to gain by investing in these companies after mass shootings.

For those worried about purchasing a gun to prevent the next mass shooting, allow me to cite a security expert who gave a TED talk about the stuff you should fear. The human brain is designed to evalute risk based on how easily we can call forth that threat to our mind. That's why, for most Americans, the fear of being killed in a car accident is a much stronger fear than being attacked from a roaming lion on the street. We see the former everyday, and the later almost never. But that all changed with the invention of the newspaper because now we have stories that can repeatedly push risks to your frontdoor every day, even when the actual existence of that risk legitimately showing up on your frontdoor is non-existent.

If it's in the newspaper, don't worry about it because, by definition, it is only "news" because it occurs so rarely.

After all, we just had the single largest mass shooting in US History. So hopefully you are getting your investment dollars put into gun manufacturing stock because those stocks tend to do very well after mass shootings. Gun manufacturing executives have admitted to such and many on wall street have recognized the potential gold they stand to gain by investing in these companies after mass shootings.

For those worried about purchasing a gun to prevent the next mass shooting, allow me to cite a security expert who gave a TED talk about the stuff you should fear. The human brain is designed to evalute risk based on how easily we can call forth that threat to our mind. That's why, for most Americans, the fear of being killed in a car accident is a much stronger fear than being attacked from a roaming lion on the street. We see the former everyday, and the later almost never. But that all changed with the invention of the newspaper because now we have stories that can repeatedly push risks to your frontdoor every day, even when the actual existence of that risk legitimately showing up on your frontdoor is non-existent.

If it's in the newspaper, don't worry about it because, by definition, it is only "news" because it occurs so rarely

A liberal admitting that the "epidemics" of college rape and gun violence are a myth. How refreshing

If it's in the newspaper, don't worry about it because, by definition, it is only "news" because it occurs so rarely.

A mass shooting committed by a legally obtained level G-class weapons permit issued after two background checks.

Not really sure what else could have been done. You cannot stop self radicalization. Seriously, how do you stop it?

Anyway, I think people buy them after these incidents for two reasons:

So they can protect themselves if they are ever around a loony like this; or because they believe the government might try to stop the sale of guns (or at least make it very difficult for law abiding citizens to obtain).

Saturday I went to one of the three or four gunshops I deal with to pick up a CZ custom I had ordered from a top supplier of IPSC/USPSA gear. It wasn't there-apparently the UPS driver didn't think the SATURDAY DELIVERY TAG was something to honor (it came today, I am leaving soon to pick it up). The owner of the shop had several Palmetto State Armory brand ARs in stock and two were in 9mm. One uses the standard military colt 9mm SMG magazines (I have several ARs that take them) but one takes GLOCK 17 magazines. SO I told him that I'd buy it Monday when I come to pick up the SP-01 Shadow for my son. Well apparently he figures by the time I get down there, that 9mm AR 15 will be the only one remaining in the store.

The one good thing about Democrap Bannerrhoids whining about gun bans is that each time they do, another million or so AR 15s are sold and the more out there, the less the bannerrhoids can ban them

Most people don't buy guns to stop mass shootings. They buy guns to defend themselves and their families.

A large component in the spike in sales after a mass shooting the inevitable talk of more stringent regulation and banning of certain firearms though certainly some of it is fear driven.

Your argument about the perception of rare events cuts both ways. I agree that mass shootings are very rare and the odds of any particular individual being the victim of one are exceedingly slim. However the flip side of that coin is that they are sufficiently rare to not justify infringing a Constitutional right.

A large component in the spike in sales after a mass shooting the inevitable talk of more stringent regulation and banning of certain firearms though certainly some of it is fear driven.

Your argument about the perception of rare events cuts both ways. I agree that mass shootings are very rare and the odds of any particular individual being the victim of one are exceedingly slim. However the flip side of that coin is that they are sufficiently rare to not justify infringing a Constitutional right.

if crime is so bad that it justifies Democrats trying to ban guns or restrict millions of law abiding citizens from owning certain types of guns, then crime is so bad to justify every honest citizen to have firearms at least as efficient as what our civilian police use

The human brain is designed to evalute risk based on how easily we can call forth that threat to our mind. That's why, for most Americans, the fear of being killed in a car accident is a much stronger fear than being attacked from a roaming lion on the street. We see the former everyday, and the later almost never. But that all changed with the invention of the newspaper because now we have stories that can repeatedly push risks to your frontdoor every day, even when the actual existence of that risk legitimately showing up on your frontdoor is non-existent.

So then you agree that there is really no need for the average man on the street to fear gun violence at all.

After all, how many times has an otherwise completely law abiding citizen shown up on your front door with an evil-looking assault rifle and started killing members of your family?

Never is the answer, and something approaching zero is the likelihood that it'll ever happen.

Welcome to the pro-gun camp!

Smith and Wesson stock price up over 7.5 percent so far today.

Of COURSE gun sales go up after mass shootings. Because invariably, anti-gun leftists will use any opportunity they can to start a fresh round of calls for worthless gun laws that they know wont have any impact on anyone but law abiding citizens. Many buy them because they are worried the government leaders will try to do something stupid. Many buy them just to give a nice **** YOU to the anti gun morons that clamor for the same proven failed laws. And many buy them because they see what direction the country is headed and realize its probably time they began to be concerned for their own health, safety, and well being.

Of COURSE gun sales go up after mass shootings. Because invariably, anti-gun leftists will use any opportunity they can to start a fresh round of calls for worthless gun laws that they know wont have any impact on anyone but law abiding citizens. Many buy them because they are worried the government leaders will try to do something stupid. Many buy them just to give a nice **** YOU to the anti gun morons that clamor for the same proven failed laws. And many buy them because they see what direction the country is headed and realize its probably time they began to be concerned for their own health, safety, and well being.

Gun Manufacturers and their investors should be giddy every time a mass shooting occurs.

A liberal admitting that the "epidemics" of college rape and gun violence are a myth. How refreshing

Hard to take either of your statements seriously. Today, one of the law enforcement folks reporting on the Orlando club murders had indicated that in the US 30 people are killed by gunshot each day. If this is accurate, that accounts for some 11,000 gun related deaths each year. That's way more murder and mayhem than the rest of the world combined (assuming not counting actual war zones). I'm not sure we can expect things to improve in a nation that refuses to treat it's growing population of mentally ill while making it impossible -- and un-American to restrict access to automatic military arms.

In the Orlando shootings it seems that the FBI had interviewed the shooter several times. What level of concern should make it impossible for a citizen to buy weapons?

So then you agree that there is really no need for the average man on the street to fear gun violence at all.

After all, how many times has an otherwise completely law abiding citizen shown up on your front door with an evil-looking assault rifle and started killing members of your family?

Never is the answer, and something approaching zero is the likelihood that it'll ever happen.

Welcome to the pro-gun camp!

Your reasoning could be used to refute the claim that you need to arm yourself in order to protect against Gun violence.

And it might be a good reasoning for arguing against a total gun ban or even a significant regulation on gun ownership, but it is a **** reasoning to apply to every single type of gun regulation.

Gun Manufacturers and their investors should be giddy every time a mass shooting occurs.

I work in the wood products industry and we all recognize that hurricanes are good for business (replacement doors and widows, trimwork, etc), but we are hardly giddy about the fact that people lost their homes...

After a power outage the sale of flashlights and batteries increases, people fill the propane tanks on their grills and stock firewood. When we are told that original formula Coca Cola is going to be pulled from the market people stock up on it. When it looks like rain people buy more umbrellas and ponchos. It's perfectly normal behavior.

I work in the wood products industry and we all recognize that hurricanes are good for business (replacement doors and widows, trimwork, etc), but we are hardly giddy about the fact that people lost their homes...

I wouldn't mind if you were giddy at the prospect of helping people to repair their homes. Gun Manufacturers and their investors are, instead, giddy that the fear created by mass shootings and the related fear created by an almost entirely false risk of harm to gun ownership helps to drive sales.

After a power outage the sale of flashlights and batteries increases, people fill the propane tanks on their grills and stock firewood. When we are told that original formula Coca Cola is going to be pulled from the market people stock up on it. When it looks like rain people buy more umbrellas and ponchos. It's perfectly normal behavior.

I would prefer not to consider a mass shooting as perfectly normal.

Some probably are, just as is every infected gun hating asshole that uses the instance to promote new gun laws that target only law abiding citizens.

Saturday I went to one of the three or four gunshops I deal with to pick up a CZ custom I had ordered from a top supplier of IPSC/USPSA gear. It wasn't there-apparently the UPS driver didn't think the SATURDAY DELIVERY TAG was something to honor (it came today, I am leaving soon to pick it up). The owner of the shop had several Palmetto State Armory brand ARs in stock and two were in 9mm. One uses the standard military colt 9mm SMG magazines (I have several ARs that take them) but one takes GLOCK 17 magazines. SO I told him that I'd buy it Monday when I come to pick up the SP-01 Shadow for my son. Well apparently he figures by the time I get down there, that 9mm AR 15 will be the only one remaining in the store.

The one good thing about Democrap Bannerrhoids whining about gun bans is that each time they do, another million or so AR 15s are sold and the more out there, the less the bannerrhoids can ban them
Heads up: there seems to be a problem with UPS drivers claiming that they think a business is closed on SAT so that they can avoid taking the time to deliver, one presumes because they have better things to do than their jobs.

I would prefer not to consider a mass shooting as perfectly normal.

The shooting isn't normal. The response to it is.

My apologies for not making that more clear.

Yeah, just like water bottlers experience a windfall when there's a drought, hurricane, tornado, and a Flint. Didja ever notice what happens in grocery stores when a severe winter storm is predicted? Well, a significant number of people have noticed that a political and social storm could be brewing, so they're buying fire arms to protect themselves and their families. If you don't care for this perfectly normal human response, perhaps you should concern yourself with the causes rather than the absolutely predictable responses.

Mass Shootings are good for the bottom line.

They are also present a wonderful opportunity to use them as a tool for anti-gun platforms.

A good anti will never, never let a good shooting go to waste - the smile even broader when the body count increases.

Most people don't buy guns to stop mass shootings. They buy guns to defend themselves and their families.

Well that and the thought that maybe I better buy one while the buying is good. I don't own an AR, but I probably will soon. The stars are aligning to take away my choice to own one. I was 20 when the FOPA was passed, too poor and probably a year too young to get a full auto. I ain't making that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom