• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time to Invest in Smith & Wesson

From what? ... Lions?

Armed intruders, wild animals (depending on where you live. My cousin's had to shoot two bears that were very aggressively going through their garage and wouldn't be scared off). Many things. Never hurts to be safe. I take my old reliable 12 gauge out every few weeks and clean it. We had a nasty break in near the OPA stop so it gives us comfort to know that if they broke in to ours, they'll get a ticket out of this world.

Armed intruders, wild animals (depending on where you live. My cousin's had to shoot two bears that were very aggressively going through their garage and wouldn't be scared off). Many things. Never hurts to be safe. I take my old reliable 12 gauge out every few weeks and clean it. We had a nasty break in near the OPA stop so it gives us comfort to know that if they broke in to ours, they'll get a ticket out of this world.

Why in god's name didn't he get bear proof garbages?

Well that and the thought that maybe I better buy one while the buying is good. I don't own an AR, but I probably will soon. The stars are aligning to take away my choice to own one. I was 20 when the FOPA was passed, too poor and probably a year too young to get a full auto. I ain't making that mistake again.

There is truth in that. I have been thinking about getting an AR for a few years now and every time they talk about the possibility of banning them I think, "Hmmm, maybe it is time."

Well that and the thought that maybe I better buy one while the buying is good. I don't own an AR, but I probably will soon. The stars are aligning to take away my choice to own one. I was 20 when the FOPA was passed, too poor and probably a year too young to get a full auto. I ain't making that mistake again.

You would get a full auto? Why? It just seems that comes with a truckload of hassle, forms, etc., when a good semi-auto is just as (if not more) effective.

From what? ... Lions?

Gangs, burglars, rapists....

What percentage of gun violence is in the form of mass shootings? That is not the norm for self defense scenarios.

Just bought 8 hi capacity mags..

You would get a full auto? Why? It just seems that comes with a truckload of hassle, forms, etc., when a good semi-auto is just as (if not more) effective.

Cause I'd be buying it for entertainment purposes.

Just bought 8 hi capacity mags..

I bought a bunch of those in the past, just need to get around to getting a gun to use them with. :2razz:

If it's in the newspaper, don't worry about it because, by definition, it is only "news" because it occurs so rarely.

Hard to take either of your statements seriously. Today, one of the law enforcement folks reporting on the Orlando club murders had indicated that in the US 30 people are killed by gunshot each day. If this is accurate, that accounts for some 11,000 gun related deaths each year. That's way more murder and mayhem than the rest of the world combined (assuming not counting actual war zones). I'm not sure we can expect things to improve in a nation that refuses to treat it's growing population of mentally ill while making it impossible -- and un-American to restrict access to automatic military arms.

In the Orlando shootings it seems that the FBI had interviewed the shooter several times. What level of concern should make it impossible for a citizen to buy weapons?

First off, unless there is something the individual did which makes it clear that they are a danger to themselves or others they should retain their rights. Just because you spout off certain ideologies isn't sufficient cause to restrict your rights.

Second, people who shouldn't have guns and HAVE been found to be a danger still get guns. Felons often have someone else buy the gun for them or get them through their other connections. Remember the San Bernardino folks? They had someone else get their guns. There are also guns coming across the border along with drugs.

Background checks are not going to stop someone who wants a gun from getting a gun. Neither are assault weapon bans. Remember the North Hollywood bank robbery shootout? That was 1997 during the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban years.

So, to answer your question, when you have been properly adjudicated to be a danger to yourself or others it is reasonable to restrict your rights including the right to keep and bear arms. However, if you are that much of a threat you should also be locked up because if you aren't allowed to defend yourself the state has a responsibility to defend you.

Last edited:
If it's in the newspaper, don't worry about it because, by definition, it is only "news" because it occurs so rarely.

Hard to take either of your statements seriously. Today, one of the law enforcement folks reporting on the Orlando club murders had indicated that in the US 30 people are killed by gunshot each day. If this is accurate, that accounts for some 11,000 gun related deaths each year. That's way more murder and mayhem than the rest of the world combined (assuming not counting actual war zones). I'm not sure we can expect things to improve in a nation that refuses to treat it's growing population of mentally ill while making it impossible -- and un-American to restrict access to automatic military arms.

In the Orlando shootings it seems that the FBI had interviewed the shooter several times. What level of concern should make it impossible for a citizen to buy weapons?

WTF are you taking about? Brazil has 50,000 murders a year, heck neighboring Mexico has 20,000.

Well, you should be plenty entertained when you see the price tag that full auto comes with!:lol:

No, that ship has sailed, I'm just not going to miss out this time around and will be sure to pick up an AR as I can still have fun with a semi-auto. Might have to mess around with getting a bump fire stock for it.

After all, we just had the single largest mass shooting in US History. So hopefully you are getting your investment dollars put into gun manufacturing stock because those stocks tend to do very well after mass shootings. Gun manufacturing executives have admitted to such and many on wall street have recognized the potential gold they stand to gain by investing in these companies after mass shootings.

For those worried about purchasing a gun to prevent the next mass shooting, allow me to cite a security expert who gave a TED talk about the stuff you should fear. The human brain is designed to evalute risk based on how easily we can call forth that threat to our mind. That's why, for most Americans, the fear of being killed in a car accident is a much stronger fear than being attacked from a roaming lion on the street. We see the former everyday, and the later almost never. But that all changed with the invention of the newspaper because now we have stories that can repeatedly push risks to your frontdoor every day, even when the actual existence of that risk legitimately showing up on your frontdoor is non-existent.

Hmmmm... so it appears that you are now understanding why calls for gun control after such rare occurrences are just media inspired fear.

Ruger guy myself. S&W's are a bit more refined, but I love the brutal toughness of most rugers.

Never fired a full auto anything but I did shoot a friends AR with a slide fire stock once. I couldn't hit **** except the berm on the shooting range but boy was it fun.

Hmmmm... so it appears that you are now understanding why calls for gun control after such rare occurrences are just media inspired fear.

Calls for gun control are ongoing and routine. It only becomes a news story after a major event.

Back
Top Bottom