• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time to eliminate the battleground states

Metanoia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Now is the time to eliminate the battleground states. Get rid of the electoral college. Your vote only counts in these states. The excessive money and attention is directed there. The potential bribes go there. A presidential campaign should be focused on all people. I think this would result in a message that would appeal to the middle. Is it really a democracy if millions are disenfranchised?

Now is the time to eliminate the battleground states. Get rid of the electoral college. Your vote only counts in these states. The excessive money and attention is directed there. The potential bribes go there. A presidential campaign should be focused on all people. I think this would result in a message that would appeal to the middle. Is it really a democracy if millions are disenfranchised?
Right. Let the Dem-controlled big cities be the ones to decide who the President is.

Hell, we'll only need one party. We'll be just like the Soviet Union or China...complete with stuffed ballot boxes when necessary.

Sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

Yep, since the urban centers of the country are governed so well they (alone) should decide who governs the rest of the country. ;)

I understand you want California and New York to decide all national elections and all other states to be irrelevant. The ideal political system to the Democratic Party is where they can steal the entire national election merely by massively stealing the election in just one large state, for which the voters in the other 49 states are irrelevant.

Hahaha......no surprise the idea of a pure democracy is terrifying.......if the electoral college is such a great idea maybe we should elect mayors by precinct...just rig the elections by gerrymandering.....just figure out which is the wrong side of the tracks.....:). The key to Republican success remains voter suppression and deceminating conspiracy theories to your gullible flag draped followers. Some politicians actually try to appeal to the majority. Time for potential Republican candidates to start establishing their bonafides as bigots and racists to appeal to the base.

Why should Wyoming have four times the voting-power of Florida?

Why should Wyoming have four times the voting-power of Florida?

Why should we have the US Senate where that power (of an individual voter) difference is even greater between WY and FL?

Why should we have the US Senate where that power (of an individual voter) difference is even greater between WY and FL?
Separate issue.

Right. Let the Dem-controlled big cities be the ones to decide who the President is.
if we had no EC then your vote and my vote would be equal. as would every other Americans. everyone would be totally equal in the election.

like, you know, every other election in the USA.

I understand you want California and New York to decide all national elections and all other states to be irrelevant. The ideal political system to the Democratic Party is where they can steal the entire national election merely by massively stealing the election in just one large state, for which the voters in the other 49 states are irrelevant.

Republicans only need to find 11,800 votes and they win ! but they couldn’t even prove that.......7 million votes will be a huge task....:)

Yep, since the urban centers of the country are governed so well they (alone) should decide who governs the rest of the country. ;)
Really? So "one person, one vote" should be shoved in a ditch because... you don't like how big cities are run? That hardly sounds like a principled argument.

Of course, urban areas are actually pretty well governed. They're the engines of economic growth and innovation. They draw more and more people every year, while rural areas shrink. Crime rates have fallen in cities for decades. They pay most of the tax dollars, too.

I'd also add that in the long run, it's better for Republicans to stop leaning on their anti-democratic mechanisms like the Electoral College. They have now lost the national popular vote in 7 out of the 8 most recent Presidential elections. They're already at the point where the party got taken over by a demagogue, and they are terrified to offend the white supremacists and seditionists in their ranks even after a blatant attempt to overthrow Congress.

The Republican's current path is unsustainable.

Maybe they shouldn't.

If DC and Puerto Rico are granted statehood, will you still be a big fan of small states getting two Senators...?

Separate issue.

Sort of, if consider only the (relative) power of the individual voter for POTUS to be the (only?) important issue. Having a legislative body with each state having equal power suffers from the same ‘fault’ that you cited.

Hahaha......no surprise the idea of a pure democracy is terrifying.......if the electoral college is such a great idea maybe we should elect mayors by precinct...just rig the elections by gerrymandering.....just figure out which is the wrong side of the tracks.....:). The key to Republican success remains voter suppression and deceminating conspiracy theories to your gullible flag draped followers. Some politicians actually try to appeal to the majority. Time for potential Republican candidates to start establishing their bonafides as bigots and racists to appeal to the base.
Another name for “pure Democracy” is “mob rule”. I’d suggest taking a course on US Government, but there’s no telling what idiocy they’re teaching these days.

if we had no EC then your vote and my vote would be equal. as would every other Americans. everyone would be totally equal in the election.

like, you know, every other election in the USA.
And my state would get screwed...unless we did what we were told.

Really? So "one person, one vote" should be shoved in a ditch because... you don't like how big cities are run? That hardly sounds like a principled argument.

Of course, urban areas are actually pretty well governed. They're the engines of economic growth and innovation. They draw more and more people every year, while rural areas shrink. Crime rates have fallen in cities for decades. They pay most of the tax dollars, too.

I'd also add that in the long run, it's better for Republicans to stop leaning on their anti-democratic mechanisms like the Electoral College. They have now lost the national popular vote in 7 out of the 8 most recent Presidential elections. They're already at the point where the party got taken over by a demagogue, and they are terrified to offend the white supremacists and seditionists in their ranks even after a blatant attempt to overthrow Congress.

The Republican's current path is unsustainable.

You seem to ignore the US Constitution’s concept of having limited federal government powers. There are also state, county and city governments, but they are constantly ceding power to the federal government.

The battleground states of GA, WI, MI, OH, PA, NC, FL, IA, and AZ have state legislatures all run by the GOP. They will control redistricting.

Reapportionment will add CDs to GOP-run states like AZ, TX, FL and NC and hurt DEMs by taking CDs from GOP-run states like MI, OH, and PA.
Another name for “pure Democracy” is “mob rule”. I’d suggest taking a course on US Government, but there’s no telling what idiocy they’re teaching these days.
We saw ‘mob rule’ on 1/6 and are now militarily prepared to defend the USA against Trump’s traitors.

You seem to ignore the US Constitution’s concept of having limited federal government powers. There are also state, county and city governments, but they are constantly ceding power to the federal government.
That's the way they want it.

We don't need states when we have a federal government that knows what we need.

We saw ‘mob rule’ on 1/6 and are now militarily prepared to defend the USA against Trump’s traitors.
Non sequitur.

139 House GOPs and 8 Senate GOPs tried to take state powers away from six battleground states to cede more power to the federal government.

i agree that the EC should go. if Republicans want to win, they need to get more votes.

Back
Top Bottom