• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Time to admit Obamanomics has failed

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As this article points out, it's time for the administration, congress and the senate to admit Obamanomics has failed so we can move on to an economic plan that has a chance to fix this mess. The problem is, it will never happen. Obama and the democrats will keep leading this country into economic destruction no matter how bad things get, in order to protect their radical, progressive agenda. It's politics first and the country second with this bunch.

Time to admit Obamanomics has failed
Examiner Editorial
August 8, 2010

It's no coincidence that Christina Romer, chairwoman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, announced her retirement the day before Friday's brutal unemployment report. With 131,000 more jobs lost in July, and downward revisions of 97,000 for the previous two months, it's easy to see why she would start looking for the exits.

Romer is best known for drafting the February 2009 report "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan," which the White House used as an ammunition belt in the fight to gain passage of its $862 billion economic stimulus bill (the actual cost of which exceeds $1 trillion when interest is included). Romer predicted that following passage of the stimulus bill, unemployment would plateau below 8 percent last fall and by this month register at 7 percent. That's not close enough for government work, as unemployment stands at 9.5 percent today. It would be higher except that hundreds of thousands of frustrated job seekers have given up looking for new jobs and dropped out of the labor force.

Time to admit Obamanomics has failed | Washington Examiner

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's time for Republicans to admit that you cannot continue to fight 4 wars, provide domestic security and law enforcement, and maintain national public infrastructure without raising taxes to pay for it.

I think it's time for Republicans to admit that you cannot continue to fight 4 wars, provide domestic security and law enforcement, and maintain national public infrastructure without raising taxes to pay for it.

I think it's time for Democrats to admit that Bush had those same problems.

I think it's time for Democrats to admit that Bush had those same problems.

Yes, he did. And he created them as wll. Bush invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. And a Republican congress let him. While I hold up neither party as being superior, the facts are the facts.

Yes, he did. And he created them as wll. Bush invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. And a Republican congress let him. While I hold up neither party as being superior, the facts are the facts.

82 Democrats voted for invasion of Iraq. 126 against. Seems like the Republicans had a whole lotta' help.

As for Afghanistan:

On September 14, 2001 bill House Joint Resolution 64 passed in the House. The totals in the House of Representatives were: 420 Ayes, 1 Nay and 10 Not Voting (the Nay was Barbara Lee - D-CA).

Senate
On September 14, 2001 Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting (Senators Larry Craig - R and Jesse Helms - R).

Overwhelming, yes? Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really? Last I check the Democrats have been in control for the last two years. They have had every opportunity to take care of it.

82 Democrats voted for invasion of Iraq. 126 against. Seems like the Republicans had a whole lotta' help.

As for Afghanistan:

On September 14, 2001 bill House Joint Resolution 64 passed in the House. The totals in the House of Representatives were: 420 Ayes, 1 Nay and 10 Not Voting (the Nay was Barbara Lee - D-CA).

Senate
On September 14, 2001 Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting (Senators Larry Craig - R and Jesse Helms - R).

Overwhelming, yes? Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you're saying there are conservative Democrats. No big surprise there.

Really? Last I check the Democrats have been in control for the last two years. They have had every opportunity to take care of it.

So I suppose you don't support the GOP's excessive use of filibuster in the Senate at all then.

So you're saying there are conservative Democrats. No big surprise there.

Is that what she is saying? Or is she saying enough with the whiney "Republicans did it!" bull**** argument. Is she saying facts are BOTH sides voted for Afghhanistan and Iraq so end the bull**** idiological rhetoric? You make it mean "there are conservative democrats"...OK...fine. lets pretend thats the 'truth'. Does it make them any less culpable? Of course not. So whenever someone says stupid **** like 'republicans voted for war' maybe all those honest liberals can put them in check.

BTW...Who took us to war against Serbia? How long has that mission gone on? Just...you know...out of curiosity...

As for Afghanistan:

Senate

Actually, there was never a vote for the invasion of Iraq. Again, facts are facts. When you read something into it, you leave the factual. There was no vote to invade. No declaration of war.

As for Afghanistan, whihc was understandable if misguided, the vote doesn'tmatter. The president was Bush and the congress was republican. Agian, those are the facts.

Is that what she is saying? Or is she saying enough with the whiney "Republicans did it!" bull**** argument. Is she saying facts are BOTH sides voted for Afghhanistan and Iraq so end the bull**** idiological rhetoric? You make it mean "there are conservative democrats"...OK...fine. lets pretend thats the 'truth'. Does it make them any less culpable? Of course not. So whenever someone says stupid **** like 'republicans voted for war' maybe all those honest liberals can put them in check.

BTW...Who took us to war against Serbia? How long has that mission gone on? Just...you know...out of curiosity...

You're right. I was mistaken.

I think it's time for conservatives to admit that you cannot continue to fight 4 wars, provide domestic security and law enforcement, and maintain national public infrastructure without raising taxes to pay for it.

There we go. Fixed it.

Since January of 2007...unless my math has failed me...thats 4 months shy of FOUR years now...and since Jan of 2009 they have held a super-majority in both the house and senate.

Not coincidentally...unemployment was still under 5% when the democrats took control of both branches of the legislature...
2001 4.7
2002 5.8
20031 6.0%
20041 5.5
20051 5.1
2006 4.6
2007 4.6

There we go. Fixed it.

Who took us to war against Serbia? Do we still have troops in Bosnia? How much has that cost us and how long have we been there? And when did the economy and unemployment start to take a nosedive? Who had control of the both the house and senate where ALL legislation is passed?

There we go. Fixed it.

Id be fine with the government raising taxes to pay off the debt if I didnt know that all they would do is spend everything they raised. Until the fed cuts the out of control spending it is ridiculous to talk about tax increases.

The One and a democrat controlled congress has added 3.9 TRILLION to our total historical debt since he took office. Thats WITHOUT the health care debacle that no one knows how much it is going to cost us (primarily because most of congress doesnt have a clue what they actually voted FOR). Assuming you work and pay taxes...if you arent as pissed at the democrats as you are at the republicans...well...that speaks volumes...

Actually, there was never a vote for the invasion of Iraq. Again, facts are facts. When you read something into it, you leave the factual. There was no vote to invade. No declaration of war.

As for Afghanistan, whihc was understandable if misguided, the vote doesn'tmatter. The president was Bush and the congress was republican. Agian, those are the facts.

Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq (final vote)
October 10, 2002
Passed, 296-133, view details
Dem: 81-126 opposed, GOP: 215-6 in favor, Ind: 1 opposed

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...ary_Force_Against_Iraq_.28AUMF.29:_Final_vote

The president was Bush and the congress was republican. Agian, those are the facts.

Yes, they are. The only two you got right.

Last edited:
Since January of 2007...unless my math has failed me...thats 4 months shy of FOUR years now...and since Jan of 2009 they have held a super-majority in both the house and senate.

Not coincidentally...unemployment was still under 5% when the democrats took control of both branches of the legislature...
2001 4.7
2002 5.8
20031 6.0%
20041 5.5
20051 5.1
2006 4.6
2007 4.6

it's disengenuous to blame unemployment on dems and obama.

Then why is it "genuous" (ha!) to blame unemployment on the reps and bush?

Last edited:

Just pointing out the facts. Democrats have controlled both legislative houses (including holding a supermajority) since January of 2007. Thats 3 years and 8 months. Unemployment until they took over was consistently under 5%. In 2008 it climbed to 5.8%. It has skyrocketed ever since.

Again, that is not a vote to invade. It was a vote to let the president decide. There was no vote to invade, and no declaration of war. I'm sorry, but the facts are what they are.

Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq (final vote)
October 10, 2002
Passed, 296-133, view details
Dem: 81-126 opposed, GOP: 215-6 in favor, Ind: 1 opposed

You are splitting hairs.

(a) AUTHORIZATION- The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to--

(1) defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq; and

(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq.

Bill Text - 107th Congress (2001-2002) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

In hindsight, this legislation was probably drafted to make Bush the fall guy. Had they voted it down, nonetheless, we wouldn't have gone there - period.

You are splitting hairs.

In hindsight, this legislation was probably drafted to make Bush the fall guy. Had they voted it down, nonetheless, we wouldn't have gone there - period.

Boo's rebuttal is just outright foolish. All you have to do is look at the statements made by EVERY DEMOCRAT regarding Iraq and their possession of WMDs and the support for their vote to authorize military action. Splitting hair? Nah...thats bull****. Its outright dishonesty to claim that the democrats didnt support going to war in Iraq. And the statements against Iraq didnt just start in 2002...Democrats were supporting military action against Iraq throughout the 90s.

Just like they supported war against the Serbs. Just like they supported every military action Bill Clinton took against Iraq.

You are splitting hairs.

No, I'm being factual. It was never brough to congress that we were going to invade Iraq. In fact, some of those who voted to let the president decided stated clearly they would oppose us doing just that. So, accuracy is key here.

And no matter how it was drafted, in a republican congress, we only have what was factually done. We are inaccurate when we read itno our bias, our desire to make it something we cannot prove it is. Factually, congress passed the buck to Bush, and Bush decided. I consider congress cowardly and shirking their responsibility, but the facts are the facts.

No, I'm being factual. It was never brough to congress that we were going to invade Iraq. In fact, some of those who voted to let the president decided stated clearly they would oppose us doing just that. So, accuracy is key here.

And no matter how it was drafted, in a republican congress, we only have what was factually done. We are inaccurate when we read itno our bias, our desire to make it something we cannot prove it is. Factually, congress passed the buck to Bush, and Bush decided. I consider congress cowardly and shirking their responsibility, but the facts are the facts.

Say that again just a LITTLE bit differently...I consider congress...DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS...cowardly and shirking their responsibility...and suddenly we have common ground.

Say that again just a LITTLE bit differently...I consider congress...DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS...cowardly and shirking their responsibility...and suddenly we have common ground.

Then we have common ground. I believe this about both democrats and republcians on this issue.

And, yes, we only have what was factually done. Had Congress voted that piece of legislation down, Bush wouldn't have had the authority to invade Iraq. 81 Democrats supported the legislation. I agree with you that Congress passed the buck, probably completely for political reasons.

Back
Top Bottom