• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tim Russert is beginning to be an embarassment.

salmonistic

Reaction score
Once upon a time I always watched Meet The Press. It was one of my only Must See TV shows. (And Curb Your Enthusiasm.)

It really didn't make any difference who was on, or what party they belonged to, Russert was sure to ask the questions that I wanted to ask. And stuff I had never thought of. We often saw those who billed themselves as the best and brightest become mediocre and dim.

Yesterday was typical of the current MTP. Republican prez hopeful John McCain was on and hardly had to flinch to avoid the soft slow pitches. The closest Russert got to the 3rd rail - abortion - was a little twitter re stem cell. And ol' John waffled it so easily.

The day or so before when I knew McCain was going to be on, I e-mailed MTP this question: "Senator McCain, you've said many times that you are 'pro-life'. Of course, you realize that nearly all of us are 'for life'. But the question is, are you anti-Choice? Would you deny American women the right - RIGHT - to make that most private decision, that Choice, with her doctor? - That's a Yes or No question, Senator McCain."

So you are mad because they didn't ask your question? They were trying to fill up time because they stupidly didn't book a second guest or a roundtable like they usually do. It is ridiculous to complain about this one blipping show when all of the news media is doing this. You want another example-Time magazine, instead of asking a hard hitting question to Porter Goss, asks about gardening. Let that sink in. That is the fault of the news media in general, and Russert, imo, is one who usually doesn't follow the mold of asking only softball questions. He is usually quite good, and this was one time when he wasn't that good imo. He should have asked better questions, but obviously didn't prepare well for this time-he still asked some great questions though.

And fyi-Russert is a registered Republican before anyone starts the liberal bias crap.

Last edited:
Fair point SM....I was commenting re MTP because that show is the tall dog of Sun AM babblers. And Russert has come a long way from a short time back when he was what many considered "hard hitting".

As to being a registered Republican, I consider that meaningless. Like me, he probably lives in a strong GOP area where the only vote that counts in local elections is the primary.

Last edited:
Too many of todays interviewers are "celebrities" rather than "journalists". There are times when you can practically see them drooling over their guest. No hard questions and certainly no follow up. Heaven forbid they stray from their pre-planned questions. Sometimes the interviewee leaves the door wide open and the interviewer asks something totally unrelated. I'm not sure if some of the interviewers are even listening to the answers.

I don't get the chance to watch Meet the Press. I agree that Tim Russert is usually pretty hard hitting. I've always liked Sam Donaldson for the same reason - he's an "equal opportunity" interviewer, no matter who he's talking to. He's tough on everyone. ;)

edb19 said:

I don't get the chance to watch Meet the Press. I agree that Tim Russert is usually pretty hard hitting. I've always liked Sam Donaldson for the same reason - he's an "equal opportunity" interviewer, no matter who he's talking to. He's tough on everyone. ;)
Any good journalist should be a hard interviewer, never afraid to ask a tough question, the viewers expect and deserve no less than the complete story and an answer to what is going on in their world.

Good points, edb19.....I wish Sam Donaldson had not fallen out of favor at ABC - or whatever happened. Sam had at least one memorable quote" "If we ever elect a woman president, we'll never go back to men."

Back
Top Bottom