• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tillis apologizes for staff revealing GOP heath plan to cancer survivor

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The reason the GOP's opposition to the Affordable Care Act and their quest to bring back pre-existing conditions is an electoral liability for the second cycle in a row? Because their alternative is wildly unpopular.

Cancer survivor pleading for help with health insurance 'angry and hurt' over Tillis staffer's response
A three-time cancer survivor who reached out to U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis for help with her health insurance dilemma said that she got an insensitive response from a staffer instead.
During Veals' calls, she came across a Washington, D.C., staffer for Tillis. Frustrated by his lack of empathy, she started recording her calls.

"You’re saying that, if you can’t afford it, you don’t get to have it, and that includes health care?" she asked.

"Yeah, just like if I want to go to the store and buy a new dress shirt. If I can’t afford that dress shirt, I don’t get to get it," he replied.

"But health care is something that people need, especially if they have cancer," Veals said.

"Well, you got to find a way to get it," he responded.

When she asked the staffer what she's supposed to do, he said, "Sounds like something you’re going to have to figure it out."

Hard to see why Tillis is losing and North Carolina is in play.

The GOP health plan has long been "poor people can just die".

The reason the GOP's opposition to the Affordable Care Act and their quest to bring back pre-existing conditions is an electoral liability for the second cycle in a row? Because their alternative is wildly unpopular.

Cancer survivor pleading for help with health insurance 'angry and hurt' over Tillis staffer's response

Wasn't voting for him. Cunningham has much more appeal. I dont think Tillis is a bad guy but he definitely became part of Team Trump.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Why not just force the hospital to provide free medical care, instead of going through the idiotic charade of giving an "insurance" policy to someone who is already sick?

We had a representative in florida several years back who stood on the floor of the house and told us then, the republican healthcare plan is this, if you get really sick, die fast.

I think it's apparent that plan is still in effect.

My mother died in 1994 after a long and painful battle with cancer. Luckily we, her children, were able to get her the very best care imaginable. We had the resources and money to do it.

I would like to smash in the face of Tillis's staffer.

Now I'm about to make a donation to Tillis's opponent.

We had a representative in florida several years back who stood on the floor of the house and told us then, the republican healthcare plan is this, if you get really sick, die fast.

I think it's apparent that plan is still in effect.

That was Alan Grayson, wasn't it?

He was right as it turns out.

Sounds like a dumb a** staffer who ought to see some consequences for their stupidity. Some of these people fail to realize they are public servants and in government to aid the people. We all know we have bad folks in every field and people sometimes are just having a really bad day that they carry to work with them. A staffer doesn't make decisions about health care, the Congressman or woman he works for does. Tillis apologized and hopefully the staffer was reprimanded. If you think this type of occurrence is restricted to Republicans it's not.

Sounds like a dumb a** staffer who ought to see some consequences for their stupidity. Some of these people fail to realize they are public servants and in government to aid the people. We all know we have bad folks in every field and people sometimes are just having a really bad day that they carry to work with them. A staffer doesn't make decisions about health care, the Congressman or woman he works for does. Tillis apologized and hopefully the staffer was reprimanded. If you think this type of occurrence is restricted to Republicans it's not.

Only when it comes to healthcare.

Consequences indeed.

When Tillis was speaker of the House, Republicans passed a bill in 2013 prohibiting Medicaid expansion without action by the lawmakers. It also stopped the state from running its own health benefit exchange. Tillis has taken credit for being the one to stop Medicaid expansion in the state, both at the time and more recently.
Tillis has voted several times in the Senate to repeal the Affordable Care Act, saying he would vote to get rid of it “every time it comes to the floor.”

Meanwhile:

The fish rots from the head down. That staffer was just expressing what Tillis's voting record already screams.

It's far better to not have a GOP health plan, because it's going to boil down to **** you.

It's far better to not have a GOP health plan, because it's going to boil down to **** you.

tenor.gif

Why not just force the hospital to provide free medical care, instead of going through the idiotic charade of giving an "insurance" policy to someone who is already sick?

The same reason that we do not force the stores to give out "free" groceries, shirts, phones or any other goods/services which folks lack "access to" for financial reasons. The effect of EMTALA is simply to raise the costs of those "forced" to pay providers for medical care.

The same reason that we do not force the stores to give out "free" groceries, shirts, phones or any other goods/services which folks lack "access to" for financial reasons.

But we're doing it already when we force a health insurance company to give an "insurance" policy to someone who is already sick. No insurance company would give a health insurance policy to someone who is already sick unless they were forced to by law. So why not cut out the middleman the way we do with the EMTALA?

Republicans have always been big on giving Americans choice, options. Like "at will" employment states. Though an employer can fire you for any reason that is not illegal, or for no specific reason at all, it is by your own choice to leave the employment agreement for any reason by the right of your own free will. You don't have to pay for health insurance. You can choose, of your own free will, to not buy insurance and save money, be independent and responsible, self-reliant. Yeah, that's the ticket. Poor people have the same choice as rich people. Neither is forced to pay.

But we're doing it already when we force a health insurance company to give an "insurance" policy to someone who is already sick. No insurance company would give a health insurance policy to someone who is already sick unless they were forced to by law. So why not cut out the middleman the way we do with the EMTALA?

If insurance premiums are no longer based on actuarial risk factors (aka pre-existing conditions) then it is no longer insurance. EMTALA does not "cut out the middle man" - it simply turns medical care providers into that middle man by forcing them to charge higher fees based on a given patient's ability to pay.

Voter Rights should be among the top issues on the campaign trail!!!!! So should Single Payer Health Insurance. Both Are supported by a huge majority in the USA!

All Moderate and Liberal Voters no matter what party…. must assume conservatives are planning to purge YOU from the voting rolls. Any way possible. This is voter suppression which is against the law. Never think it cannot happen to you.

Protect your right to VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Voters organize a voting day packet which could contain:
— 2 separate and recent Utility Bills (bills from within the past 6 months prior to Election Day, like 1 Phone Bill and 1 Power Bill) that will prove where your legal precinct is, and validate your Voter residency.
— Absolutely a birth certificate, drivers license or state ID card.
— Proof of voter registration a necessary item
— By all means a Passport if possible.

== Keep this packet close by to secure your voting opportunities I do have mine absolutely!

Let's get on with it. WE voters have a mess to clean up. Sorry to say the grand ole party that represented the Fiscal Conservative/Socially Responsible republicans is dead. Overthrown by a radical right-wing ALEC coup over the past 39 years led by big $$$$$ from a few which represents fascism, hate and outlaws.

ALEC owns a lot of organizations which makes them appear as many. Once again….voters begin organizing your voting day packet. Keep this voting packet close by always.

Make sure a birth certificate is readily available which can be replaced through the county seat one was born …..It may take about 3 weeks. DO NOT DELAY!

When large numbers of liberals and moderates go to the polls and vote… America will always be a better place!

In reality taxes may not need to be increased because the money saved on taxpayer funded single payer insurance will more than offset. Also the budget can be redirected from war spending and corporate subsidies to cover whatever costs surface.

At least 150 million in the USA will pay substantially less .No health care coverage will be lost under the single payer insurance coverage.

What will be lost is boat loads of campaign money.

There are 8 lobbyists per elected official in this mess. There are tons of misinformation scams being perpetrated in this mess.

Both lobbyists and misinformation scams are being funded with health care dollars.

The industry has been known to blow $1.4 million dollars a day to save their multi trillion tax dollar subsidized guaranteed profit system.

This misinformation money was funneled through the US Chamber of Commerce.
== Misinformation campaigns @ $1.4 million health care dollars a day
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/05/AR2009070502770.html

=== A multi trillion $$$$$ scam!!!

== 8 lobbyists per elected official = expensive mouthpieces

Yes folks we in America are being duped by the industry and some elected officials.

Next some extra added attractions:

== Healthy humans seldom spend what they pay out to the insurance industry!

Once again:
== Consumers have been charged billions in overcharges aka have you received your refund yet? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062401636.html

== Politicians as shareholders:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/12/AR2009061204075.html

A multi trillion $$$$$ scam!!!

ATTACK VOTER SUPPRESSION = BETWEEN 2016 -2018 17 MILLION VOTES WERE PURGED

GO VOTE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE

Voters ORGANIZE A VOTING DAY PACKET

— 2 recent Utility Bills

--- a birth certificate

--- drivers license or state ID card

--- proof of voter registration etc etc etc.

--- Passport

--- Keep it close by

— Once again….Voters BEGIN ORGANIZING YOUR VOTING DAY PACKET. Keep it close by ALWAYS

Let's get on with it. WE voters have a mess to clean up.

GO VOTE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE

Last edited:
If insurance premiums are no longer based on actuarial risk factors (aka pre-existing conditions) then it is no longer insurance.

That's my point. It's a charade, so why do it? People who want health insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions want this charade, and I'm trying to figure out why.

What difference does is make if you force insurance companies to eat the cost (which gets passed onto the rest of us in the form of higher premiums) or if you force providers to simply treat these people directly and eat the cost (which, again, gets passed onto the rest of us in the form of higher prices)?

In other words, insurance companies serve no purpose here because it's not insurance - as you have already acknowledged.

My mother died in 1994 after a long and painful battle with cancer. Luckily we, her children, were able to get her the very best care imaginable. We had the resources and money to do it.

I would like to smash in the face of Tillis's staffer.

Now I'm about to make a donation to Tillis's opponent.
Cal Cunningham. I'm voting for him.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

That's my point. It's a charade, so why do it? People who want health insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions want this charade, and I'm trying to figure out why.

What difference does is make if you force insurance companies to eat the cost (which gets passed onto the rest of us in the form of higher premiums) or if you force providers to simply treat these people directly and eat the cost (which, again, gets passed onto the rest of us in the form of higher prices)?

In other words, insurance companies serve no purpose here because it's not insurance - as you have already acknowledged.

Other forms of insurance are based on actuarial risk, yet there is no demand that they instead be based on one's ability to pay or heavily subsidized by the (federal) government. It would be very easy to implement a "single payer" system for (required) auto liability insurance (currently based on actuarial risk) by just increasing the tax on motor fuel to cover the costs, yet there seems to be no demand for it.

Medical care insurance (whether public or private) serves a very important purpose - it provides the bulk of revenue to medical care providers.

Not really. I thought you leftist hated lies? yet here you are.
leftist hypocrisy is amazing thing to behold.

Back
Top Bottom