• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Throw the book at 'em!

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So today, Michael Cohen was sentenced to three years for his crimes.

Now I don't know if you read the sentencing memorandum the SDNY submitted to the court, but from reading it, three years strikes me as "not that long" a jail sentence. When I think about the fact that his criminal behavior co-opted the US electoral process, three years seems like a very short sentence. Think about what the man did:
  • Cohen’s Willful Tax Evasion
  • False Statements to Financial Institutions
  • Illegal Campaign Contributions
  • False Statements to Congress
Last week, the Feds were described as "throwing the book" at Cohen. Well, three years doesn't to me sound like a penalty concomitant with "throwing the book" at a felon. Does it seem so to you?

Now I don't know if you read the sentencing memorandum the SDNY submitted to the court, but from reading it, three years strikes me as "not that long" a jail sentence. When I think about the fact that his criminal behavior co-opted the US electoral process, three years seems like a very short sentence. Think about what the man did:
Last week, the Feds were described as "throwing the book" at Cohen. Well, three years doesn't to me sound like a penalty concomitant with "throwing the book" at a felon. Does it seem so to you?

Non violent first time offender?

Got to get that political payback, amirite?

Non violent first time offender?

Got to get that political payback, amirite?

The scope of the illegal campaign contribution and its impact is what strikes me as warranting more than three years. Whom did that particular crime not affect? It affected at least ~325M people.

The scope of the illegal campaign contribution and its impact is what strikes me as warranting more than three years. Whom did that particular crime not affect? It affected at least ~325M people.

The only one that affected that many people is the NDA agreement using illegal campaign funds and those are settled as fines more often than not. You are reaching, that's tough sentencing for a non violent offender.

The only one that affected that many people is the NDA agreement using illegal campaign funds and those are settled as fines more often than not. You are reaching, that's tough sentencing for a non violent offender.

Red:
That's the one that noted merits more than three years.

As goes Micheal Cohen's sentencing, I don't care what "more often than not" happens for "more often than not," "don't nobody do ****" that affect an entire nation all at once.

It is because to the Democratic Mueller team Cohen should be rewarded for attacking President Trump as a partisan political matter.

Who does NOT know that if facing a criminal matter in DC you MUST be a Democrat or immediately become one attacking Republicans or it's no bond solitary confinement for you even before trial!

Cohen sounds like a Moroccan name... are they really that spread out over the world?

Red:

As goes Micheal Cohen's sentencing, I don't care what "more often than not" happens for "more often than not," "don't nobody do ****" that affect an entire nation all at once.
Bull****

National campaigns frequently settle campaign finance violations with a fine.

Stop the biased, emotional arguments and find out how few people serve jail time over that sort of act. Further, find out how little time they actually serve.

Your political bias and venal pettiness is showing.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Who here believes that Michael Cohen just recently found his “moral compass?”

https://apnews.com/d6dbb8b02a4446f6800de794b45523e6

There was also speculation that Cohen has additional information to dish. Is it common to be sentenced and then cooperate more robustly and receive an additional reduction of sentence?

Edit: Sentencing was today, but Cohen doesn’t begin serving until early March, wassup with that?

Ooops, there goes your vindictive high hopes for seeing our president wear black and white stripes for a very, very long time... If Cohen only got 3 years that's because he told the SDNY more than he gave Mueller...

Not to ruin your day, but...

Former FEC Commissioner Hans Von Spakovsky debunked the argument that President Donald Trump broke campaign finance laws by paying women he allegedly had affairs with prior to becoming president.

The president’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, was sentenced to three years in jail on Wednesday for a litany of crimes, including making an illegal campaign contribution amounting to $130,000 to Stormy Daniels, who alleges she slept with Trump in 2006, so she would keep quiet about the affair.

Despite the guilty plea, Spakovsky said that Trump should not be worried because it would have to be a “campaign-related expense” for the contribution break any campaign finance laws.

He also pointed out that the only other time the Justice Department tried to say payments like these were campaign-related expenses was with John Edwards. Donations to Edwards’ campaign actually went to paying his mistress, a woman who worked for the campaign and ended up having his child. (RELATED: Trump Hits Back At Michael Cohen, Justice Department Claims)

A jury, however, ruled that Edwards’ donations were not a campaign-related expense.

Spakovsky went on to say that Trump has nothing to worry about and that the U.S. attorney’s office is being “overly aggressive” in their pursuit of the matter.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/12/coven-trump-campaign-finance-spakovsky/

I don't think three years is too long for crooks like Cohen, Strzok, Comey, MCCabe, Lerner, Holder, Clinton 1 and 2, Podesta, Lynch, and others.

Red:

As goes Micheal Cohen's sentencing, I don't care what "more often than not" happens for "more often than not," "don't nobody do ****" that affects an entire nation all at once.
Bull****

Stop the biased, emotional arguments and find out how few people serve jail time over that sort of act. Further, find out how little time they actually serve.

Red:

rotflmao.gif

I don't think three years is too long for crooks like Cohen, Strzok, Comey, MCCabe, Lerner, Holder, Clinton 1 and 2, Podesta, Lynch, and others.

When and how did you master travel between universes? I don't know how or when, but in this one, you can get rich selling that technology, for unlike the universe from which you apparently came, in this one and among the folks who you've named, Michael Cohen is the only person who's been shown to be a felon.

When and how did you master travel between universes? I don't know how or when, but in this one, you can get rich selling that technology, for unlike the universe from which you apparently came, in this one and among the folks who you've named, Michael Cohen is the only person who's been shown to be a felon.

Of course Cohen is the only one convicted in this case. Mueller and his rabid democrat attack dogs went after Trump with everything they had and yet never found anything against Trump or democrats reportedly involved with Russian collusion.

The red guys actually threatened national security by not being aggressive on the Hillary Clinton email server that contained Top Secret data. Blue lady threatened conservative political opponents using her IRS powers. Paying off a adult movie star to shutup about an affair in 2006 hardly compares.

Oh, Im sorry, I thought you wanted a serious conversation, not to engage in infantile asshattery.

The DOJ Quietly Made Campaign Finance Violations Easier to Prosecute | Notice & Comment

https://www.bricker.com/industries-...ordination-serves-as-election-season-reminder

Last year, the Department of Justice (DOJ) announced the conclusion of its first criminal prosecution of coordinated payments between a Super PAC and a candidate’s campaign committee. After a lengthy investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Tyler Eugene Harber, a campaign finance manager and political consultant from Virginia, plead guilty to one count of coordinated federal election contributions and one count of making false statements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_people_convicted_of_campaign_finance_violations

Only ten people, count them, TEN.

You need to acquaint yourself with some facts, you are wrong in your assumptions.

Of course Cohen is the only one convicted in this case. Mueller and his rabid democrat attack dogs went after Trump with everything they had and yet never found anything against Trump or democrats reportedly involved with Russian collusion.

Red:
Insofar as Mueller's investigation isn't over, the "red" remark is premature.

Bull****

Oh, Im sorry, I thought you wanted a serious conversation, not to engage in infantile asshattery.

The DOJ Quietly Made Campaign Finance Violations Easier to Prosecute | Notice & Comment

What went wrong? First criminal prosecution in U.S. for campaign finance coordination serves as election season reminder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_people_convicted_of_campaign_finance_violations

Only ten people, count them, TEN.

You need to acquaint yourself with some facts, you are wrong in your assumptions.
Reality is not a function of the event as event, but of the relationship of that event to past, and future, events.
-- Robert Penn Warren, All the King's Men

Blue:
Acquaint yourself with context. One doesn't carry an opened umbrella indoors even though it's raining.

I do welcome serious conversation; however, this line of your regarding what frequently happens isn't it. The fact of the matter is that the preponderant nature of most campaign finance violations, violations that are penalized by a fine, is that of administrative oversight....
  • Folks donating sums that exceed the legal limit and the campaign treasurer didn't catch it and remit to the donor(s) the excess.
  • Campaigns not timely filing documents.
  • Campaigns failing to remit cash donations from organizations/persons proscribed from contributing.
  • Other administrative missteps that are not part of a nexus of willfully unlawful behavior.
...yet the line you're advocating applies administrative recourse to an offense that isn't at all preponderantly administrative oversight.

Such a line as you've advanced, given its unmitigated disregard of the offenses and penalties' context, is not at all the stuff of "serious" conversation. It's trifling, jejune, banal, and your posing such a puerile line is why I laughed at your remarks.

“Is everyone who lives in Ignorance like you?" asked Milo.​
"Much worse," he said longingly. "But I don't live here. I'm from a place very far away called Context.”
-- Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

Getting Trump is the goal, not justice.

Reality is not a function of the event as event, but of the relationship of that event to past, and future, events.
-- Robert Penn Warren, All the King's Men

Blue:
Acquaint yourself with context. One doesn't carry an opened umbrella indoors even though it's raining.

I do welcome serious conversation; however, this line of your regarding what frequently happens isn't it. The fact of the matter is that the preponderant nature of most campaign finance violations, violations that are penalized by a fine, is that of administrative oversight....
  • Folks donating sums that exceed the legal limit and the campaign treasurer didn't catch it and remit to the donor(s) the excess.
  • Campaigns not timely filing documents.
  • Campaigns failing to remit cash donations from organizations/persons proscribed from contributing.
  • Other administrative missteps that are not part of a nexus of willfully unlawful behavior.
...yet the line you're advocating applies administrative recourse to an offense that isn't at all preponderantly administrative oversight.

Such a line as you've advanced, given its unmitigated disregard of the offenses and penalties' context, is not at all the stuff of "serious" conversation. It's trifling, jejune, banal, and your posing such a puerile line is why I laughed at your remarks.

“Is everyone who lives in Ignorance like you?" asked Milo.​
"Much worse," he said longingly. "But I don't live here. I'm from a place very far away called Context.”
-- Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
Faulty reasoning. Despite your screeching throw the book at him you fail to acknowledge the scarcity of people actually convicted of campaign finance fraud.

It's a small number and there are much more egregious acts, if you care to look for them.

Three factors: his cooperation, first time offender, non violent act.

Your appeal to authority/emotion isn't persuasive.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Faulty reasoning. Despite your screeching throw the book at him you fail to acknowledge the scarcity of people actually convicted of campaign finance fraud.

It's a small number and there are much more egregious acts, if you care to look for them.

Lord, man! Must I get out a big blue crayon and spell it out for you? Fine....

Just what do you think is the conclusion of the case presented in the OP?
What do you think be the rhetorical purpose of my OP's remarks about Michael Cohen's sentence?

I must ask because, based on the content you've been presenting, I don't think you actually know.

Another such case where getting Trump is the all and everything:

Jeffrey Epstein's slap on the wrist raises a lot of questions. The DOJ needs to get answers.
Cases like Epstein’s don’t just hurt the victims, they undermine the legitimacy of the entire justice system

As a federal prosecutor for over 16 years, I can tell you that, aside from cases involving murder and violence, there are two categories of crimes that make a career prosecutor’s blood boil: schemes that target elderly victims for money and allegations that involve using children for sex. For six years, between 2001 and 2007, Jeffrey Epstein allegedly ran a sex trafficking ring that preyed on minor girls as young as 13. So why was he given a slap on the wrist by federal prosecutors in Florida?
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...rist-raises-lot-question-doj-needs-ncna946176

The Failed Intelligentsia! are willing to sacrifice absolutely everything in the mission to GET TRUMP!

We are increasingly no better than the Nazi's and the rest of the Failed Utopia Builders.

And take a ****ing look at all the Americans cheering this.

Last edited:
Another such case where getting Trump is the all and everything:

Jeffrey Epstein's slap on the wrist raises a lot of questions. The DOJ needs to get answers.
Cases like Epstein’s don’t just hurt the victims, they undermine the legitimacy of the entire justice system

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...rist-raises-lot-question-doj-needs-ncna946176

The Failed Intelligentsia! are willing to sacrifice absolutely everything in the mission to GET TRUMP!

We are increasingly no better than the Nazi's and the rest of the Failed Utopia Builders.

And take a ****ing look at all the Americans cheering this.

What has any of that to do with the thread's thesis?

Back
Top Bottom