• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Three people, including elderly couple, dead after lightning strike near White House

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON - DC Police have confirmed three people have died after four people were struck by lightning Thursday evening near the White House.

James Mueller, 76, and Donna Mueller, 75, of Janesville, Wisconsin, died of their injuries after the lightning strike in Lafayette Park, located directly outside the White House complex, the Metropolitan Police Department said.

MPD announced Friday afternoon that a 29-year-old man also died from his injuries related to the lightning strike. A fourth victim, a woman, remains in critical condition. Their identities were not immediately released.

<snip>

Members of the U.S. Park Police and the Secret Service were the first to witness the lightning strike at the park located in the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue NW.

————

Wow, what a tragic incident.

God has His reasons.

God has His reasons.

It is difficult to some to understand that reality has no purpose, that it wasn't intended. I can see why. All that you've done and been, wiped out in a flash because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shit happens and it happened to someone(s) you didn't want it to. So one reaches for comfort.... the misery must have a purpose and that purpose must somehow be good.

Nope. This is a cold hard reality without any meaning but that which we bring to it; that we call into existence by simply pretending it is true (say, "justice"..."freedom")\

🤷

This was a tragic accident of chance. There's no greater purpose. Unless Cardinal is right.

It is difficult to some to understand that reality has no purpose, that it wasn't intended. I can see why. All that you've done and been, wiped out in a flash because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shit happens and it happened to someone(s) you didn't want it to. So one reaches for comfort.... the misery must have a purpose and that purpose must somehow be good.

Nope. This is a cold hard reality without any meaning but that which we bring to it; that we call into existence by simply pretending it is true (say, "justice"..."freedom")\

🤷

This was a tragic accident of chance. There's no greater purpose. Unless Cardinal is right.

If God is in control, there's no such thing as luck or chance.

Yeah, it's a hard pill to swallow.

WASHINGTON - DC Police have confirmed three people have died after four people were struck by lightning Thursday evening near the White House.

James Mueller, 76, and Donna Mueller, 75, of Janesville, Wisconsin, died of their injuries after the lightning strike in Lafayette Park, located directly outside the White House complex, the Metropolitan Police Department said.

MPD announced Friday afternoon that a 29-year-old man also died from his injuries related to the lightning strike. A fourth victim, a woman, remains in critical condition. Their identities were not immediately released.

<snip>

Members of the U.S. Park Police and the Secret Service were the first to witness the lightning strike at the park located in the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue NW.

————

Wow, what a tragic incident.
That is horrible. They were around 70 years old. So sad.

Lightning happens. It’s unfortunate but it happens.

Huh. I've never heard of multiple people caught by the same lightning strike. They'd have to be pretty close together I guess?

Huh. I've never heard of multiple people caught by the same lightning strike. They'd have to be pretty close together I guess?
Wet ground under a tree

Natures retribution for Trump tear gasing people. Orange Man Bad strikes again .

If a cat is in control, there's no such thing as luck or chance...

God has His reasons.

So what's God's reason for burning a child alive?

I believe in God, but this bullshit people like you spew about 'God working in mysterious ways' like we're his puppets on a string pushes more people away from spirituality/religion than anything else. Good job.

If God is in control then he's to blame for Adam and Eve eating the fruit.

If God is in control then he's to blame for Adam and Eve eating the fruit.
Free will and autonomy - within boundaries - is still in play.

So what's God's reason for burning a child alive?
I don't speak for God. As I stated, God has His reasons. How would I know what they are?

I believe in God, but this bullshit people like you spew about 'God working in mysterious ways' like we're his puppets on a string pushes more people away from spirituality/religion than anything else. Good job.
Puppets? No. We live in a fallen, cursed world filled with danger, peril, and death.

This is not our home. None of us will escape this planet alive. Yeah, it's a tough pill.

I don't speak for God. As I stated, God has His reasons. How would I know what they are?

Puppets? No. We live in a fallen, cursed world filled with danger, peril, and death.

This is not our home. None of us will escape this planet alive. Yeah, it's a tough pill.
LOL You do know that God has nothing to do with lightning it is caused by static electricity from moving clouds. Earth is the only home we will ever know and it is where we evolved from lesser creatures of this Earth. Embrace it for the gift of life Earth gave you or forever be damned.

What-is-Usain-Bolts-100m-world-record-time-1.jpg

I wonder if the victims knew how dangerous their situation was, at the time.
My point being, I've actually had to warn a few people from danger during lightening storms, simply because the region they live
in has very low instances of lightening strikes. Like parts of California and upper midwest.
Here in Florida, most people learn quickly that "Singing in the rain" can be a death sentence. :( :(

Back
Top Bottom