• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Three people have died in national parks since start of government shutdown

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ional-parks-start-government-shutdown-n954991

A conservation advocate wrote the Trump administration urging closure of the parks “to protect the health and safety of park visitors."

Three people have died in national parks around the country, including a 14-year-old girl who fell 700 feet down a canyon, since the start of the government shutdown, during which the Trump administration chose to keep the parks open.

At the Glen Canyon National Park in Arizona, the 14-year-old girl fell from the Horseshoe Bend Overlook on Christmas Eve, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.
=======================================
The individuals involved here seem to have left their common sense behind at the park entrances.

There will likely be copycats who want to experience the same sorts of catastrophes.

That is sad, and while the shutdown is affecting the speed of the investigations, which IS an issue, the article headline gives the impression that the deaths are related to the shutdown. And it doesn’t appear that is the case.

That is sad, and while the shutdown is affecting the speed of the investigations, which IS an issue, the article headline gives the impression that the deaths are related to the shutdown. And it doesn’t appear that is the case.

They’re really not. My lady knows more about national parks than most rangers and told me these weren’t really preventable by park staff. The only thing the shutdown affected was the investigations into the deaths.

Then maybe the left needs to stop being a-holes and fund the wall.

Without the shutdown, they would have searched in the dark?
An Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter wasn’t able to recover her body until the next morning, on Christmas Day.

Because of the shutdown
a man died after he slipped down a long, granite hill and fell into a river, injuring his head, according to the Associated Press.

Andrew Munoz, a spokesman for the National Park Service, told the AP that the investigation into the man’s death is taking longer than usual because of the ongoing shutdown. He added that the shutdown also delayed the park service's announcement of the man’s death.

last but not least, the shutdown caused
a tree to fall over on top of a woman and her 6-year-old son in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ional-parks-start-government-shutdown-n954991

A conservation advocate wrote the Trump administration urging closure of the parks “to protect the health and safety of park visitors."

Three people have died in national parks around the country, including a 14-year-old girl who fell 700 feet down a canyon, since the start of the government shutdown, during which the Trump administration chose to keep the parks open.

At the Glen Canyon National Park in Arizona, the 14-year-old girl fell from the Horseshoe Bend Overlook on Christmas Eve, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.
The individuals involved here seem to have left their common sense behind at the park entrances.

There will likely be copycats who want to experience the same sorts of catastrophes.

Even with the National Park Staff on duty, Yosemite National Park (which is just a couple hours drive from where I live) has been a veritable death trap over the years. People have fallen to their deaths when hiking alongside the sheer cliffs, fallen from the rock walls and have been swept over the falls. The next time I go, I intend to remain with my feet well-planted on the Valley floor.

Last edited:

I think I was the first person to comment on the WaPo article about this.

One girl fell off a cliff (in OP). A tree fell on someone else, which can't give a person long if any time. And I forget what happened to the third but it didn't seem like something full funding of the park would have solved. (Besides, it was funded emergency services that responded anyway; how much life-saving work can a park ranger do vs. medical helicopter/etc?),

I also think the average is about 6 deaths a week in national parks. So...

Given all the genuinely awful **** Trump does, it really rubs me the wrong way to see articles written in a way that doesn't describe the proximate cause of an event but merely leaves it to vague implication that the event and the other thing they talk about might have been. "Well, there's a shutdown....and these people died...and here's a few paragraphs about people dying in nature....story over".

I take it more than 1,000 deaths (excluding suicides) in national parks over 10 years - between 2006 and 2016 - must have all happened during government shutdowns ...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2161406/10-most-deadly-national-parks

Without the shutdown, they would have searched in the dark?

Because of the shutdown

last but not least, the shutdown caused

Literally nobody in the thread, including the OP, has said the shutdown caused any of these. Do you know how to read?

Even with the National Park Staff on duty, Yosemite National Park (which is just a couple hours drive from where I live) has been a veritable death trap over the years. People have fallen to their deaths when hiking alongside the sheer cliffs, fallen from the rock walls and have been swept over the falls. The next time I go, I intend to remain with my feet well-planted on the Valley floor.

Same as Grand Canyon. I saw people out on the edge of the rim all the time. One wrong move and they are pulling a Thelma and Louise - sans the car.

About as predictable as Trump Derangement Syndrome on the left.

Um ... nobody in the thread blamed Trump for anything, and no wall (which YOU brought up) would prevent any of these deaths unless you built the wall 2 feet below a cliff in Yosemite.

Um ... nobody in the thread blamed Trump for anything, and no wall (which YOU brought up) would prevent any of these deaths unless you built the wall 2 feet below a cliff in Yosemite.

Are you sure you puked your usual garbage onto the thread you meant to? Since this has nothing to do with the dirty, dirty Mexicans you're so terrified of, like at all.

Presumably the assumption here is that if the government wasn't shut down, there would have been more staff in the park that would have protected those people. But whatever, go back to your derangement.

Presumably the assumption here is that if the government wasn't shut down, there would have been more staff in the park that would have protected those people. But whatever, go back to your derangement.

Um, nobody said that except you. Contributing your usual trash, I see.

The next time you post anything that isn't complete sewage will be the first time.

Given Jacksin's op history, there is literally no other reason he would post this.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

People get killed in National Parks all the time even when the rangers are there.

Got anymore "trumpy" no brainers?

Literally nobody in the thread, including the OP, has said the shutdown caused any of these. Do you know how to read?

If we are discussing accidents in national parks, why mention the shutdown? Why did NBC News’ request for comment on the deaths and the impact of the government shutdown? Why did they mention
? Are you trying to tell me that no such implication was made? Are we to believe that NBC was only.....?

They should all sue the president, and I hope they win. He should be bankrupted like he's done to the nation for his foolish policies.

To be fair as soon as I saw the thread I hoped he'd get sued, then posted it. **** him.

The thread title itself suggests it. Ease up.

Back
Top Bottom