• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Three of ten Americans laid off in coronavirus crisis worried about food, shelter: Reuters/Ipsos pol

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Three of ten Americans laid off in coronavirus crisis worried about food, shelter: Reuters/Ipsos poll - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three of 10 Americans who lost work during the coronavirus pandemic said they may have trouble paying for food or housing after a $600-per-week enhanced unemployment payment expired last month, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday.

The poll conducted Monday and Tuesday found that Americans divide blame for its expiration - and the weeks-long standoff in Congress over how to replace it - pretty evenly between Democrats and Republicans.

The $600 weekly payments, approved as part of a $3 trillion package that Congress approved early in the crisis, became a lifeline for the tens of millions of Americans thrown out of work in a pandemic that has prompted widespread business closrew.
================================================
I blame Trump for wasting all this relief money on his useless wall.

Last edited:
Trump and McConnell seem to be trying to get thrown out.

Not to worry, Trump's unconstitutional and non-actionable EO's will save the day... :roll:

Three of ten Americans laid off in coronavirus crisis worried about food, shelter: Reuters/Ipsos poll - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three of 10 Americans who lost work during the coronavirus pandemic said they may have trouble paying for food or housing after a $600-per-week enhanced unemployment payment expired last month, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday.

The poll conducted Monday and Tuesday found that Americans divide blame for its expiration - and the weeks-long standoff in Congress over how to replace it - pretty evenly between Democrats and Republicans.

The $600 weekly payments, approved as part of a $3 trillion package that Congress approved early in the crisis, became a lifeline for the tens of millions of Americans thrown out of work in a pandemic that has prompted widespread business closrew.

Do you have evidence that Trump used relief money on the wall? Or is that just your lying, go-to, bias-induced boogieman?

Here's what the American people supposedly said: "The poll conducted Monday and Tuesday found that Americans divide blame for its expiration - and the weeks-long standoff in Congress over how to replace it - pretty evenly between Democrats and Republicans."

Trump and McConnell seem to be trying to get thrown out.

It's as if they're trying to get more violent reactions from the Electorate to justify more govt crack downs.

Donald "**** the 2nd Amendment" Trump wouldn't understand why increasing government is bad.

Hardees is hiring. McDonalds is hiring. Nobody owes them anything

Hardees is hiring. McDonalds is hiring. Nobody owes them anything

This is a fantastic attitude in an election cycle during a disaster and you should keep going.

The people really hurting are middle class Americans who, even with the extra $600 in unemployment per week, can't make ends meat. That's people earning around $75,000 per year or more. If you are earning less than that then you are actually earning more than when you were working. Now, if it is only $300 extra per week, that's people earning around $60,000 or more. If you are earning less than that then you are actually earning more than when you were working. It isn't the poor who are hurting. They are actually doing better than they had been.

This is a fantastic attitude in an election cycle during a disaster and you should keep going.

I don't change my positions based on "election cycles" but nice to know your position changes based on whether or not it helps your soulless party win. In the meantime, those jobs aren't coming back. These people need to find new ones.

I don't change my positions based on "election cycles" but nice to know your position changes based on whether or not it helps your soulless party win. In the meantime, those jobs aren't coming back. These people need to find new ones.

Sounds like a plan.

Let that compassionate conservatism flow out.

It is realism. If we extend unemployment for a year, then in August 2021 you and your ilk would still pretend that these people need free everything and $600 a week on top of that. If we extended it 2 years, then you and your ilk would be boohooing in August 2022. If your job hasn't rehired you, the correct solution is to find another job and not expect someone else to support you because you happened to have a job when the virus hit.

You apparently have lots of designs based on whether it is an election cycle.

Well, yeah, that would of course be part of it.

It is realism. If we extend unemployment for a year, then in August 2021 you and your ilk would still pretend that these people need free everything and $600 a week on top of that. If we extended it 2 years, then you and your ilk would be boohooing in August 2022. If your job hasn't rehired you, the correct solution is to find another job and not expect someone else to support you because you happened to have a job when the virus hit.

On the other hand, given Trump's economic failures, if we don't do something, you won't have a market.

On the other hand, given Trump's economic failures, if we don't do something, you won't have a market.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with me---that is FINE as far as I am concerned. We have an unsustainable standard of living and are destroying nature in the name of "growth". Society needs to downsize.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with me---that is FINE as far as I am concerned. We have an unsustainable standard of living and are destroying nature in the name of "growth". Society needs to downsize.

So you are essentially against human civilization. Noted.

So you are essentially against human civilization. Noted.

I am against human excesses that pose as civilization, yes.

And you feel that having it happen via economic collapse is the way to go?

Let them eat cake. Actually, f*** them, that cake is mine. Let them bake their own.

Back
Top Bottom