• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Threads I recently posted in?

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Hi! Is it possible to have a special symbol next to all the threads I've posted in? Sometimes I'm not sure if I've checked all my conversations for a reply, so I'm sure I miss some here and there. If I could scan the list of threads for just the ones I've posted in, that would be really handy.

Thanks!

If you go into a forum, for instance "Today's News", you'll see a check mark in the same box as the title of the thread on the right hand side.

Oh yea I see it now, the little arrow on the envelope folder means I have posts. Thanks!

In your USER CP - under subscriptions, it will show all the threads that you are subscribed to. These are the ones that email you when someone replies to your post.

You can change the default subscription, USER CP -> Edit Options, to not email you or just subscribe. This makes every post you make easily monitored or not at all.

Every time you post/reply, under "additional options" it has a dropdown for thread subscriptions. These can be turned on/off for each post/reply as well. ;)

I find the best way is to click your own user name under a post you've made and look up all posts you've made this makes scanning for responses easier and the subscription option when you click private messages works pretty well too.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I find the best way is to click your own user name under a post you've made and look up all posts you've made this makes scanning for responses easier and the subscription option when you click private messages works pretty well too.
That is one of the reasons I enjoy this software. There are multiple ways of getting to the destination so that everyone can have their own style and a particular method is not forced.

vauge said:
That is one of the reasons I enjoy this software. There are multiple ways of getting to the destination so that everyone can have their own style and a particular method is not forced.

I don't know if I'm missing something here...

Let's say I remember something I posted a couple of weeks ago...I remember the thrust of the post, but not where it is located or how long ago.

Is there a way I can conduct a search on my own past posts?

Click on search in the nav bar > advanced search > find posts by user.

OR

Find yourself at the bottom "online" list and see your public profile then click all threads you have participated in or started.

vauge said:
Click on search in the nav bar > advanced search > find posts by user.

OR

Find yourself at the bottom "online" list and see your public profile then click all threads you have participated in or started.

I understand that part, but what if I have participated in 25 threads?...Do I need to go through each one and do a "search"? I've done that, which leads to 1/2 hour of looking around for one post...

I was wondering if I could JUST go through all of MY posts to look for a certain word or phrase...not going by thread, but by going by ME....

I think there is a hack available for the software that will let us to that. Let me see if I can find it again.

vauge said:
I think there is a hack available for the software that will let us to that. Let me see if I can find it again.

Okie-dokie...

It's already available. Doh!

Search > Advanced Search

Search by keyword > Search by username (fill out BOTH)

Show results as posts. (very bottom)

vauge said:

Search > Advanced Search

Just tried it....

VERY nice...I just wish I'd known about it earlier.:doh

Gracias!:2wave:

Added comment to the advanced search template.

These are not exclusive, feel free to use both Key Word and User Name concurrently if needed.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:

Say again. If I click on any old message from mes in the outline view, then click on my name in the message, I get the drop down box with the selection,"Find More Post by Stinger". When I click on it I get a list of MY post. If I click on one of them it takes me to THAT post but doesn't show any replies. How are you going about it in more detail please.

That's one of the things I find I don't like here compared to the Compuserve forum I was at for years. Over there you could view new post to you in a simple list. Here I have to scroll through that darn outline view trying to find them. When there gets to be over 75 - 100 post it just gets to be a hassle trying to find post I need to respond to and when it gets 0ver about 150 I don't even try anymore and they go unanswered.

vauge said:

Search > Advanced Search

Is there an easy way to find unread post to me other than scrolling through the outline list and hunting them out?

Stinger said:
Is there an easy way to find unread post to me other than scrolling through the outline list and hunting them out?

The subscription system can do this for you.

If there are threads you are interested in - subscribe to them.

In your USER CP > Subscriptions it will allow you to easily view the threads you participated in as well as the responses.

Everytime one posts (under the grey box) there is a thread subscription "notification type". Instant email, no email, daily and weekly can be selected. By default - instant email is selected unless this has been changed in your USER CP > Options.

vauge said:
The subscription system can do this for you.

If there are threads you are interested in - subscribe to them.

In your USER CP > Subscriptions it will allow you to easily view the threads you participated in as well as the responses.

Everytime one posts (under the grey box) there is a thread subscription "notification type". Instant email, no email, daily and weekly can be selected. By default - instant email is selected unless this has been changed in your USER CP > Options.

Yes I subscribe to threads I post in and us the CP to get a list of those. That takes me to the thread, but then finding new messages in the thread can get to be a laborious task with the scrolling down and clicking to get to lower levels scrollng back down clicking to get down further, etc. And then it might be a dead end and your new message is not even on that thread branch. Once a thread gets over 100 messages in it I just about don't go back and try to track down messages anymore. Would be nice to have a way to filter down to new reponses to me which I have not read.

Click on
firstnew.gif
in the thead display to read the first unread post in a thread. :)

It is in the top left hand corner of every thread display - or it is also available on the forum display before the name of the thread if you have posted in it.

Attachments

• Read_First_thread.JPG
    Read_First_thread.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom