• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

thread links get me to random locations?

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
When I click on the links in Latest Posts section on the right hand side, I end up in the middle of a page and not even the last page on a post NOT from a poster.

For example I just clicked on

Pence Harris Debate Discussion
Latest: tres borrachos

link, but ended up on page 2 out of 14, in the middle of the page with no post of "tres borrachos" anywhere close. So I have to navigate to the bottom of the page, then to the last 14th page, then again to the bottom of the page to see "tres borrachos" post.

Known bug I presume?

When I click on the links in Latest Posts section on the right hand side, I end up in the middle of a page and not even the last page on a post NOT from a poster.

For example I just clicked on

Pence Harris Debate Discussion
Latest: tres borrachos

link, but ended up on page 2 out of 14, in the middle of the page with no post of "tres borrachos" anywhere close. So I have to navigate to the bottom of the page, then to the last 14th page, then again to the bottom of the page to see "tres borrachos" post.

Known bug I presume?
This is not a bug, this is how the software is designed. When you click on a link to a thread, it takes you to the first undread post in that thread. If it took you to page 2, that means that you had previously visited that thread and partially read the posts within it.

This is not a bug, this is how the software is designed. When you click on a link to a thread, it takes you to the first undread post in that thread. If it took you to page 2, that means that you had previously visited that thread and partially read the posts within it.

Thanks, that explains it. I am not sure if this is the "desired" behavior... I mean, I am unlikely to read the next 13 of the 14 pages to learn where the discussion is now :) Is there a way to add another link in that summary to get us to that latest post that it advertises (i.e. simply to the last post on that topic)?

The idea is to help one get to the latest unread automatically so one can catch up.

To get to the last "page" of the thread directly and have the system assume you have read the others with multiple pages, click on the last small numbered box in the list under the title.

The idea is to help one get to the latest unread automatically so one can catch up.

To get to the last "page" of the thread directly and have the system assume you have read the others with multiple pages, click on the last small numbered box in the list under the title.

Yes, I get the value of first-unread-post link. However, often, it's not where I want to go. So, it requires a bunch of navigation:
1. from middle of the page get to the top or bottom of it
2. click on last page number
3. go to the end of that page

That's why I suggested adding an end-of-thread link as part of the Latest Post summary (it would fit right in for the last-poster name that already shows up in that summary). We already show the last person to post on the thread - so, why not link their name to their last post?

See red boxes that could become such links:

ss1.jpg

I mean, the whole section is call "Latest Posts", yet there are no links there to actual latest posts ;-)

Yes, I get the value of first-unread-post link. However, often, it's not where I want to go. So, it requires a bunch of navigation:
1. from middle of the page get to the top or bottom of it
2. click on last page number
3. go to the end of that page

That's why I suggested adding an end-of-thread link as part of the Latest Post summary (it would fit right in for the last-poster name that already shows up in that summary). We already show the last person to post on the thread - so, why not link their name to their last post?

See red boxes that could become such links:

View attachment 67300437

I mean, the whole section is call "Latest Posts", yet there are no links there to actual latest posts ;-)
We can add this to our list but this most likely won't be an easy fix, it may take some time.

This is a good idea. I'll see if it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom