• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thread ban question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
CC wrote:

13 months ago, when we updated the forum to the 4.0 software, we lost several features. One feature was the hardcoding of thread bans. Since then, when a thread ban was issued, a series of events was put into place, so the member would clearly be aware that this violation was in place, so they would not post on that thread and incur further violations. As of today, the hardcoded thread ban feature is again available. What that means is, when you are thread banned from a thread, you will no longer be able to access that thread.
Does that mean you will no longer see the posts or just not be able to post to the thread?

CC wrote:

Does that mean you will no longer see the posts or just not be able to post to the thread?

I have not experimented with this software, but with the old, you would not be able to view the thread at all. I would assume that that is also the case with this software, but assuming can be dangerous.

I have not experimented with this software, but with the old, you would not be able to view the thread at all. I would assume that that is also the case with this software, but assuming can be dangerous.

You assume correct.

(I have insider info)

It seems to me that if someone was thread banned and wanted to see the thread, they could start a different browser and not be logged into DP.

It seems to me that if someone was thread banned and wanted to see the thread, they could start a different browser and not be logged into DP.
If that's the case why not just prevent posting?

I can still see threads I've been banned from.

I'd like to ask, though: If we're not supposed to be able to see a thread we've been banned from, why then is there a link to the allegedly offensive post in the mod-pm notifying us of said thread-ban?

Last edited:
I can still see threads I've been banned from.

I'd like to ask, though: If we're not supposed to be able to see a thread we've been banned from, why then is there a link to the allegedly offensive post in the mod-pm notifying us of said thread-ban?

You have not been thread banned with the new software. If you want to try and experiment, I can thread ban you from this thread, you check and see if you can see it, then I will unthread ban you.

My sister has agreed to work with us here. You ready sis?

FYI. I already tested this. If you are thread banned, you cannot access the thread... if you are logged in.

Okay back. When I re-loaded the page I got this...

vBulletin Message
You have been removed from this discussion.

I went to main page and clicked this thread link and again got the above message.

Ta-taaaaa

Thanks sis. There ya have it folks. You can't access the thread at all when logged in.

FYI. I already tested this. If you are thread banned, you cannot access the thread... if you are logged in.
I know that Cap. But folks like to hear the poop from a regular member.

Awesome, you all conducted an experiment only prove exactly what Spud said in, like, the 3rd post. LOL

Now here's a question, what if you got a thread ban on a day after the new system had taken effect and the ban is announced in thread, yet you find you still have access to it, and could still post in the thread. Could you?

Last edited:
Awesome, you all conducted an experiment only prove exactly what Spud said in, like, the 3rd post. LOL

Now here's a question, what if you got a thread ban on a day after the new system had taken effect and the ban is announced in thread, yet you find you still have access to it, and could probably post in the thread. Could you?

Pretty sure I saw a "like" from you on that thread post-ban.:ninja:

Under the temporary thread ban (announced in-thread) schema, you could still read the thread, give likes, and even post (although this would earn you 5 points for each violation post). Now that the new hard-coded system has been implemented, such access is denied.

I will point out that if you were thread-banned under the old schema, it is still considered a valid thread-ban in all respects.

Under the temporary thread ban (announced in-thread) schema, you could still read the thread, give likes, and even post (although this would earn you 5 points for each violation post). Now that the new hard-coded system has been implemented, such access is denied.

I will point out that if you were thread-banned under the old schema, it is still considered a valid thread-ban in all respects.

Yes, I would expect that any thread bans before CC's announcement would still be thread bans. Is it fair to assume though, that, if you still have access to post in a thread, after CC's announcement, that means you are not actually thread banned?

Is it fair to assume though, that, if you still have access to post in a thread, after CC's announcement, that means you are not actually thread banned?
Let's do this piecemeal...

1) All thread bans under the old system are still valid.

2) If you are thread-banned under the new system, you will receive a PM notifying you of the thread ban and thread access is denied.

Capiche?

Let's do this piecemeal...

1) All thread bans under the old system are still valid.

2) If you are thread-banned under the new system, you will receive a PM notifying you of the thread ban and thread access is denied.

Capiche?

Uhm, not quite. My question is, what if you get a notice like you describe in #2 and it's under the new system, yet you find you still have access to the thread despite the notice. Thread ban or not?

Uhm, not quite. My question is, what if you get a notice like you describe in #2 and it's under the new system, yet you find you still have access to the thread despite the notice. Thread ban or not?
Ahh. Now I understand what you are referring to. I'll handle it.

so Xfactor was threadbanned for this in the Rachel Corrie thread.

ML Prohibited Conduct
G) Any offensive or inflammatory images

and now it's been edited 5 days later to say he is "unthreadbanned" and he is now posting again in that thread.

can anyone give clarification on this threadban reversal please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom