• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thousands of Mariupol civilians taken to Russia

Quote: Whataboutism or whataboutery is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy, which (1) attempts to discredit an opponent's position (2) by charging hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving the argument.

Did I attempt to discredit a position?
Yes. You tried to say it's fine if Russia does it because US did it in the past.

There is not much truth to the charge. Keep in mind that until 1991 there was no boundary. And the ethnic Russian populations straddled both Ukraine and Russia. Tons of Ukrainians in eastern part of Ukraine have families in Russian cities in the other side. Why they have to be kidnapped to head for shelter with cousins in Russia makes no sense. What the Ukrainian government in Kiev is engaging in is the same old cancelation of ethnic Russian minorities within Ukraine.

Mariupol is a cosmopolitan city with ethnic Ukrainians, ethnic Russians, ethnic Greeks etc. With majority probably the ethnic Russians. It can be argued that an ethnic Ukrainian in Mariupol ending up in Russia is not their desired destination. But how can an ethnic Russian, in all likelihood with families in Russia, winding up in Russia be kidnapping??
You are once again equating language with national identity, doesn't work like that in Ukraine. There are people who identifies as ethnically Russians in Ukraine, but that's only part of the Russian speaking population. Most identifies as Russophone Ukrainians. The other mistake you make is equating ethnicity and nationality. People who identifies as ethnically Russians might still not identify with the country Russia.

Quote: Whataboutism or whataboutery is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy, which (1) attempts to discredit an opponent's position (2) by charging hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving the argument.

Did I attempt to discredit a position?
by (2)charging hypocrisy. Yes.

Your defiance and poutrage is inspirational.

Now what?

Hey...I know...wear a ribbon that shows how much you care....THAT will put Russia in its place.

Hmm....never took you for a bully.

Yes. You tried to say it's fine if Russia does it because US did it in the past.

No, I did not. If you think I have, you're free to peruse my comment history and call me out.

by (2)charging hypocrisy. Yes.

Incorrect. Whataboutism has two conditions that must be satisfied. My commentary satisfies the 'charging hypocrisy' condition.

There is not much truth to the charge. Keep in mind that until 1991 there was no boundary. And the ethnic Russian populations straddled both Ukraine and Russia. Tons of Ukrainians in eastern part of Ukraine have families in Russian cities in the other side. Why they have to be kidnapped to head for shelter with cousins in Russia makes no sense. What the Ukrainian government in Kiev is engaging in is the same old cancelation of ethnic Russian minorities within Ukraine.

Mariupol is a cosmopolitan city with ethnic Ukrainians, ethnic Russians, ethnic Greeks etc. With majority probably the ethnic Russians. It can be argued that an ethnic Ukrainian in Mariupol ending up in Russia is not their desired destination. But how can an ethnic Russian, in all likelihood with families in Russia, winding up in Russia be kidnapping??

So let me get this straight: you are saying that there was a quite significant Russian population in a city that Putin’s military relentlessly reduced to ruins with bombardment and missiles, and killed thousands of civilians? So Russians killing other Russians and destroying their homes and livelihoods?
Does that make you proud?

Back
Top Bottom