• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Thoughts on this video. . .

MDSkinsInNC

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Don't know if you all have seen this yet. It's a shame these guys think they ought to be able to use "deadly force" on the kids for some rocks and a busted windsheild.

http://www.theync.com/childrenvideo.htm

These guys sound like a bunch of 15 year-olds.

Last edited:
The important thing in that video is that our Rules of Engagement prohibited our guys from shooting at kids that were throwing rocks at their trucks. Note that the last comment from the US driver was to the effect the though it pissed him off, on another level, it was also funny. Consequently,I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment that our guys thought they ought to be able to use deadly force. I got the impression that the guys were not being totally serious with those remarks.

Maybe the cameraman was blowing off steam? How many times have you seen someone say, "I'm going to kick your ass" and then not do anything? Lots. The heat of the moment is not the time to take the words of anyone for serious thought.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I just hate hearing him say "Maybe if you didn't throw rocks, I'd give you food" or something like that.

Honestly, if the Sunni Insurgents occupied the US, I'm sure little American kids would be throwing rocks at them. And do you think it would be just to kill them when the situation is flipped?

But I just hate hearing him say "Maybe if you didn't throw rocks, I'd give you food" or something like that.

A basic problem with kids throwing rocks: you don't if that hand is indeed holding a rock or if that object is a grenade. If you want to see examples of some of the good things that our people are doing in Iraq, especially for the women and the kids, go here. Given the tone of your comments, my guess is that you will be surprised.

And do you think it would be just to kill them when the situation is flipped?

This asinine comment suggests that you can show an instance of the US military killing kids for throwing rocks. Can you?

This asinine comment suggests that you can show an instance of the US military killing kids for throwing rocks. Can you?

Look, I understand what you're saying. Maybe it wasn't the best metaphor. Maybe I'm just a civilian and I will never understand the complex psyche of US soldiers and their desire to use deadly force on 8 year old Iraqis.

But when you wonder "is it a rock or a grenade" you contradict yourself. You are now suggesting you can show and instance where an Iraqi child threw a grenade at a US Hummer.

Don't be so paranoid. These are children, not demons.

But when you wonder "is it a rock or a grenade" you contradict yourself. You are now suggesting you can show and instance where an Iraqi child threw a grenade at a US Hummer.

And how is that a contradiction of anything. If I was not clear, explain how, please.

And I'm not suggesting that I can show an instance of a kid throwing a grenade at a US vehicle. I asked if you could.

their desire to use deadly force on 8 year old Iraqis.

I don't believe the soldiers in the video exhibited such.

Quote:
their desire to use deadly force on 8 year old Iraqis.

I don't believe the soldiers in the video exhibited such.

They didn't exhibit it, they said in a convincing manner, "these kids throw rocks at us but we can't use deadly force," causing me to believe they wouldn't mind and are quite capable of shooting a child. Yeah, it's a rock and it can hurt someone badly. But shouldn't the soldier be a bigger man about it, not to mention expect that behavior from some of the Iraqis, including kids?

Wow there's quite a stink rising about that, too. Just imagine the atmosphere of a city where there are foreign security officers (non-military!) driving around w/machine guns shooting up whomever they deem harmful or dangerous.

This war gets worse the more you research.

MDSkinsInNC said:
They didn't exhibit it, they said in a convincing manner, "these kids throw rocks at us but we can't use deadly force," causing me to believe they wouldn't mind and are quite capable of shooting a child. Yeah, it's a rock and it can hurt someone badly. But shouldn't the soldier be a bigger man about it, not to mention expect that behavior from some of the Iraqis, including kids?

So what happens if one of these little angles decides to throw a grenade instead of a rock. ANd 5 US soldiers lose there lives and a few more lose arms and legs. Is this what you mean by being the bigger man?

It's a tense situation and i would expect the soldiers to have there fingers on the triggers ready to shoot when someone throws stuff at them. Woman, children, oldmen.... doesn't really matter. You don't kill someone for throwing a rock...In most cases. But you also can't gaurantee they are all rocks. And if an 8 year old launches a grenade, he is then target practice.

Back
Top Bottom