• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thoughts on Networking sites (facebook, myspace, twitter)

Share with me your thoughts on social Networking sites

• Total voters

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
They're coming up more and more in everyone's daily life. They're being taken seriously, are used against people (or for people) and are surfacing more often in news sources to validate 'facts' and so forth.

What are your general thoughts on the entire Networking 'thing'

They're coming up more and more in everyone's daily life. They're being taken seriously, are used against people (or for people) and are surfacing more often in news sources to validate 'facts' and so forth.

What are your general thoughts on the entire Networking 'thing'

I might have added that they are (IMHO) pretty much a huge waste of time, but seeing how as I've never read, used, and even looked at them, mine is admittedly, an uninformed opinion.

LOL - I'm the same way.

I opened a Facebook and Myspace account years ago and never went back to it - I prefer a forum environment where it's about the topics and thoughts, not "me me me" - likewise; On a forum I don't do much in my profile or post on people's 'walls' very often and so forth - or even PM much.

I did find it thoroughly annoying that the moment I opened my Facebook account - even though I never returned to it - that my family started to contact me through it simply by looking up my email address . . . and that put me in instant 'connection' with people who babysat me and wiped my butt when I was 1. I don't like the "suddenly everyone knows you're on!" social aspect of that site and lack of annonymity. . . more so - when I opened my myspace account no one noticed or gave a flying ****. . . so if I were to social-network it would likely be through myspace.

Last edited:
I use them for two purposes:

1. To connect with friends, including many old friends from years gone by. It's like an online reunion.

2. To promote my books. In that regard, they are the best and cheapest way to promote yourself!

I like facebook, but myspace is so 2005 and twitter is for narcissists.

i have facebook and myspace, rarely go on 'em, and i don't care enough about myself to have a twitter.

I'm using facebook to help promote a charity benefit for one of my friends who needs a liver transplant.

I don't have myspace, facebook, or twitter. Hell, I don't even text. I'm a one man mission to bring back the oldest form of communication.

Feels weird living in a world where you could lose your voice and nobody would notice.

People take social networking too seriously and in my experience it just leads to excess drama. The slightest change in a person's user status is used to draw all sorts of conclusions about someone.

The people that I'm genuinely interested in keeping in touch with, I never lost track of. Anyone else, well, I'm probably not interested in talking to them and I'd just as soon they NOT find me.
:2razz:

Facebook has been a really cool tool to reconnect me with friends from across the world. It's so easy to just kind of keep tabs on what they're up to, how they're doing, etc. And make plans together. Instead of calling 3 dozen people and incur international phone charges to find out how they're doing, I only have to go to FB. It's far less invasive. I'd be super annoyed if all of them were calling me to see how things were going. I'd never be without my phone to my ear! LOL

But some folks take it too seriously... they like drama. But FB is no different than dealing with that **** "in real life". The drama queens online are drama queens offline too. It's easier to ignore them online, at least.

As for using it a source of information..? I never even considered it. Unless you count the links we post or something. I generally avoid political conversations on FB. That's what DP is for. And I would never take something I read on FB as any kind of truth unless it was related to the individual who posted it and I know the individual.

I don't know what that last one is supposed to even mean. They're not informational sites, unless you mean, facts about the people using them that they reveal in their tweets/posts/whatever.

I don't know what that last one is supposed to even mean. They're not informational sites, unless you mean, facts about the people using them that they reveal in their tweets/posts/whatever.

exactly.

10 2 4

I think they're valuable tools that in the next 3 years could allow some people to make some serious cash by being "Consulants" for business, politicians, and others on how best to market and utilize social networking for advertising, marketing, and PR related endevours.

I also find them mildly to completely annoying.

and finally, I leave you with this picture

social_media_venn_diagram.JPG

I use facebook essentially as a phonebook. If I ever need to get a hold of someone, I know where to find them quickly. Besides that, I don't use it very often.

But Twitter boggles my mind. The only time I could see someone caring about your daily updates is if you are at least relatively famous, are giving updates for an organization, or are extremely interesting. Besides that, I'm not sure why people would take the time to tell the world about their daily lives.

And something that worries me is the reach of search engines into facebook and other social networks. For a while now I have had my profile set to private so only my friends can view anything about me... but a while back I googled my name and what do you know, a friend of mine didn't have her profile set to private and a comment on her wall by me showed up in the google search. I Emailed Google at least 10 times over many months before the pages was finally removed for their cache. I am very conscious of the fact that employers google people now... and I'd like them, and anyone else I do not know, to know as little as possible about my personal life.

I use them for two purposes:

1. To connect with friends, including many old friends from years gone by. It's like an online reunion.

2. To promote my books. In that regard, they are the best and cheapest way to promote yourself!
I haven't bought you book yet, so I guess it isn't working. :lamo

As a guy that does web stuff, they are incredibly powerful, specifically Facebook due to the APIs and technology behind them enabling you to essentially have a one username fits them all (CNN, Pogo.com, Marketwatch, Gamespot, digg, etc) not to mention the other neat things you can do with it, it has it's own GUI and is essentially in many cases like having an OS within your OS.

I used to have facebook, but I deleted it. I found it stupefying. I'll admit that I was on it way too much as well. Deleting it freed up a lot of my mental energy.

Social networking is here to stay but I don't think it provides too many social advantages. When I had it I got lots of invites to different events, but now my friends just end up calling me anyway because they weren't able to send a facebook invite.

When people ask me if I have facebook, it feels so good now to say no.

I frequently use Facebook to connect with friends and I love it.

I didn't even know that social networking sites are being taken so seriously in news media. That hasn't been the case in Sweden (where I'm from).

Back
Top Bottom