• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Thou shalt not hug in school

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source:

BEND, Ore. - A 14-year-old girl received detention over a lingering hug she gave her boyfriend at school, infuriating her mother and putting school officials on the defensive.

School officials said they had warned Cazz Altomare that lingering hugging was unacceptable, but she continued to disobey the rule when she received the detention earlier this year.

Rules at Sky View Middle School in Bend permit "quick hello and goodbye hugs," but administrators said some students have been taking advantage of it.

"It's not like we are the hug Nazis," Laurie Gould, spokeswoman for the Bend-La Pine School District, said Monday. "Kids hug, they hug hello and they hug goodbye, but if you take it farther, you make people uncomfortable."

Cazz got detention after giving her boyfriend a protracted hug in the hallway at Sky View Middle School in Bend.

Her mother, Leslee Swanson, was infuriated by the punishment. When she went to pick her daughter up from detention, she gave her a good, hard hug.

It doens't say if her boyfriend got detention as well.

Should hugging be allowed in school?

Of course it should. I know teachers who hug students. Should they be disciplined? Or should the hugging just be restricted to those of the same sex? What if there is a gay couple hugging? Making out-no. Hugging--why not?

I wonder if this was just a long hug or a hug with some feeling-up involved. If it was the latter then yes, both parties should be reprimanded in some way.

lol hugging? Come on, I find this incredible - but I'm a foreigner. Right enough if a see someone hugging for too long in the airport and break out in an uncomfortable sweat, my legs tremble, my pupils dialate.

Does the school allow kissing, just curious? And what's the time limit on hugs in general?

Back in the UK we have fun looking at your crazy state laws. Eg. In wisconsin your not allowed to "worry" a squirrel. I'm not sure actually if a squirrel can get worried or not. How do you worry a squirrel? In some other state your not to have sex with a "live" fish. If it's dead - wahey time for some loving lol lol lol.

If I was at that school, being the wee protester I am :lol: I would organize a hugging rally until they dropped the silly rule.

Ah high school, I wish I was there again. We organized a school protest about local politics, we lay on the main road blocking traffic. Police dragged us off - we took a leaf from gandi's book - passive resistance. Ah those were the days, we got put in jail! :lol:

GarzaUK said:
lol hugging? Come on, I find this incredible - but I'm a foreigner. Right enough if a see someone hugging for too long in the airport and break out in an uncomfortable sweat, my legs tremble, my pupils dialate.

Does the school allow kissing, just curious? And what's the time limit on hugs in general?

Back in the UK we have fun looking at your crazy state laws. Eg. In wisconsin your not allowed to "worry" a squirrel. I'm not sure actually if a squirrel can get worried or not. How do you worry a squirrel? In some other state your not to have sex with a "live" fish. If it's dead - wahey time for some loving lol lol lol.

If I was at that school, being the wee protester I am :lol: I would organize a hugging rally until they dropped the silly rule.

Ah high school, I wish I was there again. We organized a school protest about local politics, we lay on the main road blocking traffic. Police dragged us off - we took a leaf from gandi's book - passive resistance. Ah those were the days, we got put in jail! :lol:

Did you know that in Arizona if you steal a bar of soap your punishment is to use it all up by washing yourself? Pretty nuts! In Marionvill, MO you can't scare a white squirrel. How do you even know if you've scared the squirrel? If it looks at you, you're getting a freaking fine. My school is a little leanient on kissing. If you get caught like 3 times you get a PDA note sent home and it must be signed (PDA=Public Display of Affection) If it happens again you get in school suppension. Hugging is allowed, no matter how long it is, inless you start having sexuals actions and wierd noised while you do it then you will probably get into trouble.

satinloveslibs said:
If you get caught like 3 times you get a PDA note sent home and it must be signed (PDA=Public Display of Affection)

People of the world, I gave you the land of the free! lol. If we were caught kissing, we would be embarassed but that's it. I mean seriously, no wonder their is so many abortions in the USA!

Kissing is punished, so sex is made even more punishable. Because sex is more punishable, teenagers will want to do it more - rebel factor. Hey presto you have a baby.

The Dutch have the lowest teenage pregnancy rate in the western world. However the age of consent is 14! They are taught everything about sex by the time they are 10. Families talk about sex openly at the dinner table with parents and grandparents lol.
IMO it is ironic that moralism (teaching sex before marriage) actually leads to more abortions.

Anyway hugging and kissing are "human" and "natural" ways to show affection. I can't believe this is punishable for something so natural.

GarzaUK said:
People of the world, I gave you the land of the free! lol. If we were caught kissing, we would be embarassed but that's it. I mean seriously, no wonder their is so many abortions in the USA!

Kissing is punished, so sex is made even more punishable. Because sex is more punishable, teenagers will want to do it more - rebel factor. Hey presto you have a baby.

The Dutch have the lowest teenage pregnancy rate in the western world. However the age of consent is 14! They are taught everything about sex by the time they are 10. Families talk about sex openly at the dinner table with parents and grandparents lol.
IMO it is ironic that moralism (teaching sex before marriage) actually leads to more abortions.

Anyway hugging and kissing are "human" and "natural" ways to show affection. I can't believe this is punishable for something so natural.

I'm sorry, but when two people are going at it like a bunch of dogs ( which I had to watch for a whole semester) I wish they inforced the rule even more, but otherwise I don't think there should be a rule for it. I think the families should really inforce the cons of having a baby before marriage and abortion. I hate it when people use abortion for birth control!

satinloveslibs said:
I'm sorry, but when two people are going at it like a bunch of dogs ( which I had to watch for a whole semester) I wish they inforced the rule even more, but otherwise I don't think there should be a rule for it.
Right. There is a big difference between hugging and holding.

Hugging = Have nice day/hello
Holding = Did they just turn up the temp in this place?

vauge said:
Right. There is a big difference between hugging and holding.

Hugging = Have nice day/hello
Holding = Did they just turn up the temp in this place?

Describe holding, if you mean groping and fondling I think that should be down privately. But long hugging, not going to 2nd base is okay.

Alas we live on almost two different worlds.

satinloveslibs said:
I'm sorry, but when two people are going at it like a bunch of dogs ( which I had to watch for a whole semester) I wish they inforced the rule even more, but otherwise I don't think there should be a rule for it. I think the families should really inforce the cons of having a baby before marriage and abortion. I hate it when people use abortion for birth control!

The more the family "inforces" the cons the more the subject wants to do it, it is in teeange pyschology to rebel, to push the rules around, I think most people did it.
Look at the Dutch satin, they have the complete opposite approach to you, yet teenage pregnancy rates are low compared to the USA/UK rates where most people approach the same way as you.

The more we try and protect the kids away from something the more they want to do it.
Don't smoke - they smoke.
Dont drink - they drink.

One of the things my parents did was, they allowed be to drink when i was 16, in the house under their supervision. Of course I drank to omuch and was sick, I learnt a lesson. By the time I was 18 and legal to go out and drink, I was able to know when to stop drinking before I lost control. I knew how to hold my drink.
Opposed to someone who had never drinked before, going to a bar. Getting totally wasted, pass out, get robbed or worse get raped etc.
Just a thought.

Believe it or not my school is really workable with hugging and kissing. If you're caught kissing then you'll be stared out for a while and reminded that condoms should be used, I am serious about that.

The only trouble we'd get in, is if two students are playing spit-swap in front of the Physical Education/Health teacher... she gets really angry; then again, she's had 2 divorces.

But then again this is the school where our Principal has a physical education degree from ECU (East Carolina Univeristy, Party School) and our most renowned Spanish teacher was in the Circus.

GarzaUK said:
The more the family "inforces" the cons the more the subject wants to do it, it is in teeange pyschology to rebel, to push the rules around, I think most people did it.
Look at the Dutch satin, they have the complete opposite approach to you, yet teenage pregnancy rates are low compared to the USA/UK rates where most people approach the same way as you.[QUOTE/]

Then Dutch teens are smarter and not as lazy. ( wear a condom, take the pill) lazyness is killing several innocent babies/feotus

satanloveslibs said:
GarzaUK said:
Look at the Dutch satin, they have the complete opposite approach to you, yet teenage pregnancy rates are low compared to the USA/UK rates where most people approach the same way as you.[QUOTE/]

Then Dutch teens are smarter and not as lazy. ( wear a condom, take the pill) lazyness is killing several innocent babies/feotus

Then I suggest you do what the Dutch do. :roll:

GarzaUK said:

How right you are! My husbands family is very religious and conservative. The only thing they tell their kids about sex is that you shouldn't do it before marriage. My husband had 2 partners before we got married, his brother had 7 partners by the time he was 20, and their younger sister had sex for the first time at 14.

My mom was always very open and honest with me about sex, always encouraging me to come to her to get birth control rather than go without, and my husband was my first and only partner.

I think it's so ironic that the same people that fight tooth and nail against abortion also oppose any other sex ed besides abstinence.

Fu_chick said:
How right you are! My husbands family is very religious and conservative. The only thing they tell their kids about sex is that you shouldn't do it before marriage. My husband had 2 partners before we got married, his brother had 7 partners by the time he was 20, and their younger sister had sex for the first time at 14.

My mom was always very open and honest with me about sex, always encouraging me to come to her to get birth control rather than go without, and my husband was my first and only partner.

I think it's so ironic that the same people that fight tooth and nail against abortion also oppose any other sex ed besides abstinence.

I don't know what's more scary, the facts you've provided.. or the fact that you know about you Husbands' sisters' and brothers' sex-life.

Well, my sister-in-law told me about my husband's brother and there was a loy of drama surrounding his little sister so, pretty much everyone in the family old enough to know what sex was knew about that.

Fu_chick said:

Not true. We had a speaker and everything come to our school and trust me, he didn't just say "Practice Abstinence!" He told us everything, from birth control to std's, and abstanence to a safe active sex life. I'm one of the people who wanted this guy to come and speak and I'm against abortion in most cases, so your "I think it's so ironic that the same people that fight tooth and nail against abortion alss oppose any other sex ed besides abstinence" doesn't apply to me!

satanloveslibs said:
Not true. We had a speaker and everything come to our school and trust me, he didn't just say "Practice Abstinence!" He told us everything, from birth control to std's, and abstanence to a safe active sex life. I'm one of the people who wanted this guy to come and speak and I'm against abortion in most cases, so your "I think it's so ironic that the same people that fight tooth and nail against abortion alss oppose any other sex ed besides abstinence" doesn't apply to me!

Maybe not you, but look that the people against teaching about condoms in school. By and large they are also anti-abortionists.

Fu_chick said:
Maybe not you, but look that the people against teaching about condoms in school. By and large they are also anti-abortionists.

Personally I'd want them to hand out the word of God instead of condoms, but condoms will save lives and will stop the use of abortion as birth control.

satanloveslibs said:
Personally I'd want them to hand out the word of God instead of condoms, but condoms will save lives and will stop the use of abortion as birth control.

Sorry hon, but the word of God does not catch sperm.

satanloveslibs said:

That's the most un-christian think I've seen from you...

I always thought the Word of God saved lives.. I must relearn my own religion.

I really don't care about the whole thing because it's not like I'm going to get any hugs anyway. They should have some restrictions though. Where I go to school there is this one high school girl that goes at it with her boyfriend for about ten minutes before she will even open the door for us to get into the highschool. The nasty part about it is that the guy is a freak and the girl is butt ugly and she weighs at least two times as much as her boyfriend. One thing to say... they're hopeless.

dark lord of the sith said:
I really don't care about the whole thing because it's not like I'm going to get any hugs anyway.

:2grouphug - haha, had to be done.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

dark lord of the sith said:
I really don't care about the whole thing because it's not like I'm going to get any hugs anyway. They should have some restrictions though. Where I go to school there is this one high school girl that goes at it with her boyfriend for about ten minutes before she will even open the door for us to get into the highschool. The nasty part about it is that the guy is a freak and the girl is butt ugly and she weighs at least two times as much as her boyfriend. One thing to say... they're hopeless.

Dark lord and I had to watch it for a semester. It sucked! Didn't it Dark lord?

GarzaUK said:
Alas we live on almost two different worlds.
I really belong in your country...take me with you! I just find some of this stuff ridiculous, if my girlfriend were crying, I would go over and hold her. I would get detention for that, and that my friend, is bs.

Back
Top Bottom