• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Those stupid parents!

Since when do you have to be a professional child therapist to realize that surgically altering a person's natural sex organs in order to satisfy some perceived dissatisfaction thereof is negligent, not to mention crazy? I guess if he didn't like his arm they could just amputate that, too?

What if it were a woman changing into a man? Would you have asked if she would like to grow a third arm? ;)

Plenty of people correct parts of their body they don't like. Rhinoplasty, breast reductions and ear correction surgery all involve chopping off unwanted excess body tissue.

Some people do that. There is a small group of people who are voluntary amputees and are happier than they have ever been. Just FYI.

Voluntary Amputation | MetaFilter

I'm aware of these people. I haven't done enough research on the topic in order to have a truly informed opinion, but I personally believe there must be some underlying mental issues inherent to such a behavior.

I mean, is this a recent phenomenon confined to Western civilization or are there historical incidents of such, spanning regions and cultures which would indicate that these kinds of behaviors aren’t simply isolated to overly self-absorbed / neurotic Western societies?

Anyway, it's different for adults. Just because a child feels like they need to amputate their arm does not mean we should accommodate them.

What if it were a woman changing into a man? Would you have asked if she would like to grow a third arm? ;)

:shock:

Plenty of people correct parts of their body they don't like. Rhinoplasty, breast reductions and ear correction surgery all involve chopping off unwanted excess body tissue.

Only people with an unhealthy perception of themselves resort to cosmetic surgery. We should not encourage or justify such behavior.

I'm aware of these people. I haven't done enough research on the topic in order to have a truly informed opinion, but I personally believe there must be some underlying mental issues inherent to such a behavior.

I mean, is this a recent phenomenon confined to Western civilization or are there historical incidents of such, spanning regions and cultures which would indicate that these kinds of behaviors aren’t simply isolated to overly self-absorbed / neurotic Western societies?

Anyway, it's different for adults. Just because a child feels like they need to amputate their arm does not mean we should accommodate them.
I ignore them.

I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

:shock:

Only people with an unhealthy perception of themselves resort to cosmetic surgery. We should not encourage or justify such behavior.

That's too rigid a stance for me to take. I've seen people's entire outlook on life change after a simple nose job. I've seen a friend finally be able to smile at the world after a dentist corrected and bleached the crooked, dark teeth that nature gave her. Sometimes, altering one's appearance it's the right thing to do.

That's too rigid a stance for me to take. I've seen people's entire outlook on life change after a simple nose job. I've seen a friend finally be able to smile at the world after a dentist corrected and bleached the crooked, dark teeth that nature gave her. Sometimes, altering one's appearance it's the right thing to do.

It's good that these things can help people be happy, but in an ideal world they wouldn't matter; whether that ideal is possible or not...I couldn't say.

Back
Top Bottom