• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Those in Favor of Daylight Saving

Daylight Saving

• Total voters
This may shock you, but there are people (other humans) who exist and their brains have evolved in such a way that they are capable of forming opinions that differ from yours.
PITA= pain in the ass

LOL I bet you feel super smart for figuring out what opinions are. I hope you took some time to high five yourself for a while in between crying over what time it was.

LOL I bet you feel super smart for figuring out what opinions are. I hope you took some time to high five yourself for a while in between crying over what time it was.
This thread is freaking awesome. Probably my favorite one on this site.

I'd vote for Standard Time....and a 24HR version. am/pm/m/n stinks. Can't tell you how many times I've argued, as a programmer, with a user that there's no such thing as 12pm. It's either 1200 or 12n. On the other hand, doing time math with 00:00 (12midnight) vs 2400 can be tricky.

I agree. I don't care which one, just make it permenent. No time change.
How's 'bout a marketing plan to sell clocks that add a minute a day up until the day when they start subtracting a minute per day. Everybody gotta buy a new clock, creating a boom for industry. ;)

How's 'bout a marketing plan to sell clocks that add a minute a day up until the day when they start subtracting a minute per day. Everybody gotta buy a new clock, creating a boom for industry. ;)
I have had watches that seem to have done that!

No, just choose one and leave it alone.

Get rid of time changes, and keep DST. I hate when it gets dark at 4 pm.

Or, add two minutes a week for six months and then subtract two minutes a week for the next six. Evens out in the end and the changes are negligible.

That, or simply alter the earth's tilt such that we maintain the same angle of tilt toward the sun year around.
With Elon, MS Excel, and our command of AI - plus a couple congressmen on payroll who are in bed with the solar industry, we could do it.
How about everyone move an hour west twice a year? Sucks to be California.

How about everyone move an hour west twice a year? Sucks to be California.
Heck no. In 6 months I'd be in California - and yeah, it totally sux to be there. Been there, done that. No thanks. :)

...on the other hand - the Californians would no longer be there... hmmmm...

...on the other hand - all those who trashed CA in the first place and moved an hour east to escape the consequences of their bad decisions would.

No - definitely not a good idea.

;)

Would you care to explain that? The pain in the butt is most people changing all of their clocks twice a year. I see you do not live in Arizona or Hawaii.
It's self explanatory and pretty simple.

I think it's long outlived its original purpose and is a useless pain in the ass.

Agree. In my younger years I convinced myself that "Spring Forward" was a positive, and it helped offset the lost hour of sleep. But now it's just a pain in the ass.

Agree. In my younger years I convinced myself that "Spring Forward" was a positive, and it helped offset the lost hour of sleep. But now it's just a pain in the ass.
On the other hand, falling back wasn't so bad. :)

That said, I still can't figure out how to change the clock in my car - every freeking year I have to either putz with the controls or open up the manual - so mine's still an hour off. ;)

If we keep DLS then we will save a lot of energy in not using lights between 4PM->8PM...

Totally irrelevant. This is not about making all 50 operate on the same hour.
Well no shit, when did I argue for that? I was just pointing out that there are even worse systems than DST.

Hey, everybody, meet me back here in the fall! ;)

Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation) does not participate with daylight savings. I personally would like to see it stopped. There is no need to change the clock back and forth in the spring and fall. Only issue Arizona would have if it was done away with nationally is should Arizona be in Mountain or Pacific Time zone.

Arizona will be within the Pacific Time Zone.
"Two states have passed measures to stay on standard time — Arizona and Hawaii. Both congressional bills would allow states to stay on standard time if they adopted the time change before the Sunshine Protection Act went into effect." Link

get rid of daylight saving time. Too light too late

I wrote and posted a letter to my US Representative within 10 minutes of reading about the Senate's action. I hate when the clocks change.
There is always a big bru-ha-ha about this a few days before and after time change. A few weeks later, we go back to enjoying long evenings in the summer, and also enjoying Not having to send kids to school in the dark in the winter. So; to all you pissers and moaners: Suck it Up and leave it the way it is, unless, like me, you wouldn't mind adding a few More weeks of Daylight time in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom