• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Those in Favor of Daylight Saving

Daylight Saving

• Total voters
you are correct-traffic accidents, strokes, heart attacks, etc are all increased -especially after the leap forward. harvesting combines have lights on them. Get rid of DST
If the clocks have to stay the same all year long then yeah, cancel daylight savings time and stay on standard time. We need that hour of daylight in the morning.

It isn't a need to "harm" anyone. No one is really harmed by the changes. Not in reality. There are people attempting to correlate, but I doubt it is actually caused by the claim. It is so much more complicated than that. It is like when people want to claim "slow drivers" (really just those going about within 5mph of the speed limit) are really the cause of road rage, rather than the actual tempers of other drivers.

As I said before, I did 10 different time changes going from the US West Coast into the Persian Gulf (1 hour a day, every so many days), operating a nuclear reactor with those conditions and we didn't see any problems from that. And then did it again coming back 5 months later, with again no issues due to that. And people are complaining about 1 hour change every 6 months.
You don’t have young children, do you?

The only reason I know that time changes happens is because people lose their minds over it. I don't think I have a single device that requires me to manually update it. I just wake up and the time is what it is.

You don’t have young children, do you?
Mine are 12 and 14. Technically old enough to go to the bus by themselves (oldest has done it for a while), but my youngest has epilepsy and is autistic, so there is worry. And our district does older kids getting on buses, starting school first while younger ones go later. So this means without going back to standard time, my sons will be walking to the bus in the dark.

I also worry about some of the other kids in my neighborhood who may decide to try to cross the highway we have dividing us from the HS to get there on time if they were to miss the bus and not have a ride. It would be very, very dangerous in the dark. My son and I talked about going to the next town meeting to see if there is any way to address this issue though with a pedestrian bridge to cross over because it is really dangerous even in the day, just moreso in dark.

So many hostile people over this issue just makes me want to start a movement to change the clocks a couple more times during the year, just to shake things up even more.

Weekly show with a randomized time displayed. Whatever time it lands on the time changes across the nation to that time. Ratings would be through the roof. Ad slots to pay off national debt. You may be onto something. The way things work in America, you could probably campaign on that and win.

Mine are 12 and 14. Technically old enough to go to the bus by themselves, but my youngest has epilepsy and is autistic, so there is worry. And our district does older kids getting on buses, starting school first while younger ones go later. So this means without going back to standard time, my sons will be walking to the bus in the dark. I also worry about some of the other kids in my neighborhood who may decide to try to cross the highway we have dividing us from the HS to get there on time if they were to miss the bus and not have a ride. It would be very, very dangerous in the dark.
Oh I was referring to the PITA of adjusting sleep schedules for little ones.

Did I miss something where people with or without children must feel a certain way about this topic?
See post 57. By the way, I LOVE this new thing to argue about. It’s a minor thing but I say dump the time change!

Oh I was referring to the PITA of adjusting sleep schedules for little ones.
My kids have no issue with sleep schedules. They will adjust themselves especially the younger one, who goes to bed when he gets tired and gets up earlier than we do.

Moving to a country that doesnt use DST was a breath of fresh air for me. I think its the most useless thing ever. So what if the sun sets sooner?

My kids have no issue with sleep schedules. They will adjust themselves especially the younger one, who goes to bed when he gets tired and gets up earlier than we do.
Sounds like you’ve got it all figured out.

Sounds like you’ve got it all figured out.
I got lucky when it comes to kids, as they have really great personalities and are really good, laid back kids.

I do understand that there may be families that have problems adjusting sleep schedules. But I also understand that there are families who are going to have to send young kids out into streets, walking to bus stops in the dark (which is dangerous) if we stay on DST. However, if we were to go to staying on standard time, then we would have the sun coming up at 4:30/5am in some places, which probably isn't going to be good for the sleep schedules either.

I got lucky when it comes to kids, as they have really great personalities and are really good, laid back kids.

I do understand that there may be families that have problems adjusting sleep schedules. But I also understand that there are families who are going to have to send young kids out into streets, walking to bus stops in the dark (which is dangerous) if we stay on DST. However, if we were to go to staying on standard time, then we would have the sun coming up at 4:30/5am in some places, which probably isn't going to be good for the sleep schedules either.
Personally I’d opt for standard time. Maybe we humans should just leave time alone and not mess with the universe after these last few years we’ve been enduring. I’m kidding of course. I think…mostly. It’s just that ever since they killed Harambe shit has been messed up.

Personally I’d opt for standard time. Maybe we humans should just leave time alone and not mess with the universe after these last few years we’ve been enduring. I’m kidding of course. I think…mostly. It’s just that ever since they killed Harambe shit has been messed up.
We made up time on the clocks for us. We aren't messing with time, we are messing with only our own perception of hours.

It isn't a need to "harm" anyone. No one is really harmed by the changes. Not in reality. There are people attempting to correlate, but I doubt it is actually caused by the claim. It is so much more complicated than that.
"Harm" is just a wordsmithing thing. It causes sleep difficulties (if you like that word better) for me personally, and many others. Followed by inefficiencies that are tangible. For me the simplest route to solve any problem is to cease the behavior causing the problem. Thus, I oppose the time change - as it is the root. Just like the old bar hopping days that are well in my rearview mirror - stop the actions causing the harm. This is a simple calculation.

Check the poll. I am not alone in thought here.

We made up time on the clocks for us. We aren't messing with time, we are messing with only our own perception of hours.
I mean this in the nicest way possible and with all due respect…lighten up.

"Harm" is just a wordsmithing thing. It causes sleep difficulties (if you like that word better) for me personally, and many others. Followed by inefficiencies that are tangible. For me the simplest route to solve any problem is to cease the behavior causing the problem. Thus, I oppose the time change - as it is the root. Just like the old bar hopping days that are well in my rearview mirror - stop the actions causing the harm. This is a simple calculation.

Check the poll. I am not alone in thought here.
Oh, there are a lot of people who don't like switching times, but that doesn't mean that this won't change to a "grass is always greener" thing for many of them. I was informed that this was attempted in the 1970s and so hated that they went back to switching times again.

Causing people to be annoyed is not equivalent to causing harm.

Oh, there are a lot of people who don't like switching times, but that doesn't mean that this won't change to a "grass is always greener" thing for many of them. I was informed that this was attempted in the 1970s and so hated that they went back to switching times again.

Causing people to be annoyed is not equivalent to causing harm.
I can't predict the future either. And I disagree that this is just annoying. I do, however, agree that we will survive any way this plays out. There are certainly more important issues out there than this.

I'm still in the "leave the damn clock alone" camp. K.I.S.S. principle at work. And yes, I still say yuck fu to those opposed.

See post 57. By the way, I LOVE this new thing to argue about. It’s a minor thing but I say dump the time change!

I don't know what PITA means but kids adapt very quickly that that one hour over 6 months. Somehow we survived as a species despite overcoming daylight savings time.

I don't really care about time changes, but I enjoy watching people freak out over it.

I don't know what PITA means but kids adapt very quickly that that one hour over 6 months. Somehow we survived as a species despite overcoming daylight savings time.

I don't really care about time changes, but I enjoy watching people freak out over it.
This may shock you, but there are people (other humans) who exist and their brains have evolved in such a way that they are capable of forming opinions that differ from yours.
PITA= pain in the ass

I think it's long outlived its original purpose and is a useless pain in the butt.

Would you care to explain that? The pain in the butt is most people changing all of their clocks twice a year. I see you do not live in Arizona or Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom