• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thorium can give humanity clean, pollution free energy

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
We all know of Uranium. Far lower numbers know about Thorium.

Thorium is the actual desired radioactive element best suited for nuclear power plants.

We need the Feds to go after this in a big way. Agreed?

Thorium really does seem like the way to go. They had a working reactor in the 60s, and I've read it can be used in some reactors to exact additional energy from spent uranium fuel. The designs make a runaway reaction impossible. The fuel is plentiful and easy to extract and refine.

Nothing stopping them but their craving for nuclear weapons, as Thorium doesn't make that easy.

When I think where we would be today if we had in the 50s/60s started handing the 3rd world thorium reactors instead of weaponry...

The "party of science" hates nuclear energy.

Even the larger, more mainstream environmental organizations were JUST ABOUT agreed that nuclear is the cleanest way to go. Then the Japanese event happened and now the whole idea of nuclear power has a bad smell to it and no one will go near it. Too bad...

Back
Top Bottom