• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thomas Sowell: The Multicultural Cult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Thomas Sowell hits another home run on the subject of the failures of multiculturalism.

Enjoy his wisdom.

The Multicultural Cult
October 19, 2010
By Thomas Sowell

Somebody eventually had to say it -- and German chancellor Angela Merkel deserves credit for being the one who had the courage to say it out loud. Multiculturalism has "utterly failed."

Multiculturalism is not just a recognition that different groups have different cultures. We all knew that, long before multiculturalism became a cult that has spawned mindless rhapsodies about "diversity," without a speck of evidence to substantiate its supposed benefits.

In Germany, as in other countries in Europe, welcoming millions of foreign workers who insist on remaining foreign has created problems so obvious that only the intelligentsia could fail to see them. It takes a high IQ to evade the obvious.

"We kidded ourselves for a while," Chancellor Merkel said, but now it was clear that the attempt to build a society where people of very different languages and cultures could "live side-by-side" and "enjoy each other" has "failed, utterly failed."

This is not a lesson for Germany alone. In countries around the world, and over the centuries, peoples with jarring differences in language, cultures and values have been a major problem and, too often, sources of major disasters for the societies in which they co-exist.

Full Article

Perhaps this will lead the German people to finally be able to take back their pride in their heritage.

This was essentially a summary of the work that began to surface decades ago. It is interesting to see it come up again as a sign of accepted defeat.

There are already two other threads about this topic, and I don't think that starting a bunch of others is going to change the fact that Germany's failure in multiculturalism was intentional.

There are already two other threads about this topic, and I don't think that starting a bunch of others is going to change the fact that Germany's failure in multiculturalism was intentional.

Germany was intentionally failing its own intentions to accept multiculturalism? It seems as though you are almost scathing Germany in order to promote the notion of multiculturalism rather than accept its weaknesses as a model. If the viewpoint does not work for Germany, it does not work for Germany.

Last edited:
Germany was intentionally failing its own intentions to accept multiculturalism? It seems as though you are almost scathing Germany in order to promote the notion of multiculturalism rather than accept its weaknesses as a model. If the viewpoint does not work for Germany, it does not work for Germany.

I'm not going to rehash what I already said in two other threads. Please go to them for more details.

It doe not work for germany because Germany does not have any policies that attempt to help people integrate into German society. It makes it very difficult for second or third generations of immigrants to become German citizens. As turkish immigrants have been in Germany since the 50's and yet their childern are not German citizens. I would have an easier time becoming a German citize then those Turks as my two of my grandparents were German.

Secondly I have to wonder about German schools that the immigrant students can go too. Here we have ESL class's that help studends where English is a second language learn english and keep up with other course work at the same time

Merkel's comment came on the heels of a study that had just come out which said, "30% of the people believed Germany was "overrun by foreigners" who had come to Germany chiefly for it's social benefits." I can't help but wonder what the other 70% believe.

The same study also found that "13 percent of Germans would welcome a “Führer” – a German word for leader that is explicitly associated with Adolf Hitler – to run the country “with a firm hand.” Some 60 percent of Germans would “restrict the practice of Islam,” and 17 percent think Jews have “too much influence,” according to the study.".....

Germany's Angela Merkel: Multiculturalism has 'utterly failed' - CSMonitor.com
"...As for Germany, lest anyone get the wrong idea about Merkel's comments to the CDU this weekend, she sought to make clear that immigrants were, in fact, welcome: "We should not be a country which gives the impression to the outside world that those who don't speak German immediately or who were not raised speaking German are not welcome here."

But that's exactly what Merkle did, isn't it? Anyway, I don't know why anyone would say multicultural integration was a failure based on what 30% of the white population thinks, especially considering half of them want another furer and blame Jews. Where's the study asking the majority of moderate Muslims (4 million of them) what they think?

"Germany's president, Christian Wulff, has warned that blanket generalizations about Muslim immigrants are wrong. The comments come as he begins a tour of Turkey, with the debate about integration rumbling on in Germany....." German president criticizes 'sweeping statements' on integration | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 19.10.2010

Thomas Sowell? Hmmm, I understand Rush Limbaugh is one of Sowell's avid followers. Well, that certainly explains a lot doesn't it?

Last edited:
Merkel's comment came on the heels of a study that had just come out which said, "30% of the people believed Germany was "overrun by foreigners" who had come to Germany chiefly for it's social benefits." I can't help but wonder what the other 70% believe.

The same study also found that "13 percent of Germans would welcome a “Führer” – a German word for leader that is explicitly associated with Adolf Hitler – to run the country “with a firm hand.” Some 60 percent of Germans would “restrict the practice of Islam,” and 17 percent think Jews have “too much influence,” according to the study.".....

Thirteen percent? That's less than the percentage of Americans who think President Obama is a cactus. It is not unreasonable for a nation to desire a strong leader, especially when that nation is demoralized and has been dominated by foreigners for half a century. It is not unreasonable for people to want to live in a land where their neighbors speak their language, worship their gods, and dress and behave similarly. It is not unreasonable for people to become hostile to strangers who treat them with contempt in their own homes. It is not unreasonable to believe in the value of your own people, to preserve and promote your own values, and to demand that your nation be allowed to govern its own affairs.

I can't help but wonder what the same poll would reveal here.

"...As for Germany, lest anyone get the wrong idea about Merkel's comments to the CDU this weekend, she sought to make clear that immigrants were, in fact, welcome: "We should not be a country which gives the impression to the outside world that those who don't speak German immediately or who were not raised speaking German are not welcome here."

But that's exactly what Merkle did, isn't it? Anyway, I don't know why anyone would say multicultural integration was a failure based on what 30% of the white population thinks, especially considering half of them want another furer and blame Jews. Where's the study asking the majority of moderate Muslims (4 million of them) what they think?

Thirty percent of the "white" population of Germany is twenty-seven percent of the whole population. Would you feel welcome in a country where more than half the population wants to restrict your faith? Over a quarter considers you a parasite? Where an eighth of the population might be sympathetic to a "final solution"? I'm willing to bet that many of those four million Muslims don't feel very welcome at all in Germany. And who's to say that all those Muslims are "moderate"? Most of them, certainly, but how many?

The numbers do not paint a pretty picture.

Thirteen percent? That's less than the percentage of Americans who think President Obama is a cactus. It is not unreasonable for a nation to desire a strong leader, especially when that nation is demoralized and has been dominated by foreigners for half a century. It is not unreasonable for people to want to live in a land where their neighbors speak their language, worship their gods, and dress and behave similarly. It is not unreasonable for people to become hostile to strangers who treat them with contempt in their own homes. It is not unreasonable to believe in the value of your own people, to preserve and promote your own values, and to demand that your nation be allowed to govern its own affairs.

I can't help but wonder what the same poll would reveal here.
None of what you said is unreasonable except you didn't mention what the 13% were really for, which was a new furor just like old furor. Now that seems a bit unreasonable IMO, especially considering how difficult it was to get rid of the last one and the damage he caused. But your reply kinda reminds me of this video....

Thirty percent of the "white" population of Germany is twenty-seven percent of the whole population. Would you feel welcome in a country where more than half the population wants to restrict your faith? Over a quarter considers you a parasite? Where an eighth of the population might be sympathetic to a "final solution"? I'm willing to bet that many of those four million Muslims don't feel very welcome at all in Germany. And who's to say that all those Muslims are "moderate"? Most of them, certainly, but how many?

The numbers do not paint a pretty picture.
I'm basing my opinion on German Guy's opinion since he lives in Germany and had a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago. He seems to think that the majority of Muslims in Germany are moderate and have simulated, but just like in the US, we never hear about them. Instead we only hear about the few individuals that can't simulate and yes, there are some. But since there are over 4 million Muslims in Germany and if the majority of them weren't simulating then doesn't it stand to reason we would have heard about it long before now instead of only recently after that antagonist, Thilo Sarrazin wrote his stupid book?

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe/81574-islamophobic-right-has-reached-germany.html

Last edited:
None of what you said is unreasonable except you didn't mention what the 13% were really for, which was a new furor just like old furor. Now that seems a bit unreasonable IMO, especially considering how difficult it was to get rid of the last one and the damage he caused. But your reply kinda reminds me of this video....

Worth remembering that the reason they got the first Fuehrer was the fact their nation got raped in the Treaty of Versailles. So what did we do at the end of World War II? We cut their nation into pieces, gave half of it to the ****ing Soviets, occupied them for fifty years, and spent the entire time telling them how much they deserved it for doing something they learned from us. I'm already a little bit of a goose-stepper anyway, but if I were German, I'd vote for the bastard lovechild of Sauron and Cruella de Ville if it meant becoming a world power and getting a little respect.

Of course, the difference between me and Ernest Cline is that he thinks he's better than the other monkeys because he thinks monkey behavior is silly and pointless; I remember that I'm still a monkey too, and the only way to be better than all the other monkeys is to be a better monkey.

I'm basing my opinion on German Guy's opinion since he lives in Germany and had a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago. He seems to think that the majority of Muslims in Germany are moderate and have simulated, but just like in the US, we never hear about them. Instead we only hear about the few individuals that can't simulate and yes, there are some. But since there are over 4 million Muslims in Germany and if the majority of them weren't simulating then doesn't it stand to reason we would have heard about it long before now instead of only recently after that antagonist, Thilo Sarrazin wrote his stupid book?

Don't know what you're talking about. We were discussing Muslim immigrants in my high school German class fifteen years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom