• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thomas Sowell on the Myths of Economic Inequality

Thomas Sowell is not terribly bright. Decent wordsmith.

Bachelors from Harvard, Masters from Columbia, Doctorate from University of Chicago. Sowell has served on the faculties of several universities, including Cornell University and University of California, Los Angeles. He has also worked for think tanks such as the Urban Institute. Since 1980, he has worked at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He writes from a libertarian conservative perspective. Sowell has written more than thirty books (a number of which have been reprinted in revised editions), and his work has been widely anthologized. He is a National Humanities Medal recipient for innovative scholarship which incorporated history, economics and political science.

Why do you think they all look alike?

Please show the post where I said they all look alike. I was replying to your post saying that the black man in the video was not terribly bright. So, I legitimately asked you why you think blacks aren't terribly bright.

From Quora:
Sowell has argued that the lack of societal advancement among African Americans is a result of their failure to copy middle-class white culture.[5]
This claim is absolutely ridiculous — it relies upon cherry-picking and anecdotes and ignores the systematic, multi-generational challenges which face black Americans as a result of slavery.
When Barack Obama set up a relief fund for people who were harmed by the BP oil spill, Sowell compared him to Adolf Hitler and described Obama’s supporters as “useful idiots.”[6]
Sowell, like many conservatives and libertarians, seems not to understand how economic externalities, like pollution, work.
Sowell denies the science of climate change, claiming that scientists are involved in a conspiracy to advance false claims and gain government funding.[7]
Sorry, but no — nearly every professional body of scientists in the entire world agrees that anthropogenic climate change is happening. There is no conspiracy.
Sowell expressed admiration for the half-coherent ravings of Eric Hoffer (the man who claimed that public school education was “soul raping,” and that graduates of said schools are “true believers”).[8]
Not even gonna touch this one…
And if all of that wasn’t enough, Sowell argued in favor of school segregation and against racial integration, on the basis of one single data point.[9]
Sowell cherry-picks and confuses correlation for causation here.
He may get a few things right, but Sowell gets too many things wrong on a regular basis to be taken seriously. And in that regard, he’s in good company along with many other conservative political commentators.

Please show the post where I said they all look alike. I was replying to your post saying that the black man in the video was not terribly bright. So, I legitimately asked you why you think blacks aren't terribly bright.

I named him - Thomas Sowell.

This is now your second post referring to the topic of this thread by his skin color without even saying the man’s name. No dispute over my comments regarding his intellect - you just want to ask me why I think “all” Blacks are stupid when you can’t even say the man’s name nor muster a comment towards my own comments regarding the man himself.

Busted.

I named him - Thomas Sowell.

This is now your second post referring to the topic of this thread by his skin color without even saying the man’s name. No dispute over my comments regarding his intellect - you just want to ask me why I think “all” Blacks are stupid when you can’t even say the man’s name nor muster a comment towards my own comments regarding the man himself.

Busted.

Yes, you are busted. You think black people are stupid while accusing the other side of being racists and bigots.

Yes, you are busted. You think black people are stupid while accusing the other side of being racists and bigots.

3rd post without saying his name.

Why are you trolling your own side’s thread with obsessing over skin color?

From Quora:
Sowell has argued that the lack of societal advancement among African Americans is a result of their failure to copy middle-class white culture.[5]
This claim is absolutely ridiculous — it relies upon cherry-picking and anecdotes and ignores the systematic, multi-generational challenges which face black Americans as a result of slavery.
When Barack Obama set up a relief fund for people who were harmed by the BP oil spill, Sowell compared him to Adolf Hitler and described Obama’s supporters as “useful idiots.”[6]
Sowell, like many conservatives and libertarians, seems not to understand how economic externalities, like pollution, work.
Sowell denies the science of climate change, claiming that scientists are involved in a conspiracy to advance false claims and gain government funding.[7]
Sorry, but no — nearly every professional body of scientists in the entire world agrees that anthropogenic climate change is happening. There is no conspiracy.
Sowell expressed admiration for the half-coherent ravings of Eric Hoffer (the man who claimed that public school education was “soul raping,” and that graduates of said schools are “true believers”).[8]
Not even gonna touch this one…
And if all of that wasn’t enough, Sowell argued in favor of school segregation and against racial integration, on the basis of one single data point.[9]
Sowell cherry-picks and confuses correlation for causation here.
He may get a few things right, but Sowell gets too many things wrong on a regular basis to be taken seriously. And in that regard, he’s in good company along with many other conservative political commentators.

Since Quora is not a factually reliable source we can just take this as cherry picking comments. You may not agree with Sowell but he provides evidence of his views and his intelligence is not in question.

3rd post without saying his name.

Why are you trolling your own side’s thread with obsessing over skin color?

You lefties are so predictable. "Say her name", while you call blacks stupid if they don't conform to your ideology. Blacks aren't allowed to think for themselves. If they do they are labeled stupid. Ever hear of the walkaway movement? It's all because of people like you. Keep up your insanity.

You lefties are so predictable. "Say her name", while you call blacks stupid if they don't conform to your ideology. Blacks aren't allowed to think for themselves. If they do they are labeled stupid. Ever hear of the walkaway movement? It's all because of people like you. Keep up your insanity.

4th post.

Since Quora is not a factually reliable source we can just take this as cherry picking comments. You may not agree with Sowell but he provides evidence of his views and his intelligence is not in question.

Hard disagree. His views are what puts his intelligence into question. He’s extraordinarily banal in his analysis. I gave up on him...oof. Can’t remember the last Sowell book I read.

4th post.

5th post. Are you ever going to apologize for calling blacks you don't agree with stupid? Who knows more about economics, Thomas Sowell or you? Which one of you is more stupid on the subject, you or the black man?

5th post. Are you ever going to apologize for calling blacks you don't agree with stupid? Who knows more about economics, Thomas Sowell or you? Which one of you is more stupid on the subject, you or the black man?

You are literally the only person calling Black people stupid in this thread. And literally the only person who can’t seem to discuss the subject of the thread without demanding all Black people be discussed with Thomas Sowell, whom you apparently couldn’t even identify because you think they all look alike.

You opened your mouth and left no doubt, friend. ;)

PS: Oh **** yes I”m smarter than Sowell on economics. Oh my god I’d squish his dumb face in an argument.

You are literally the only person calling Black people stupid in this thread. And literally the only person who can’t seem to discuss the subject of the thread without demanding all Black people be discussed with Thomas Sowell, whom you apparently couldn’t even identify because you think they all look alike.

You opened your mouth and left no doubt, friend. ;)

PS: Oh **** yes I”m smarter than Sowell on economics. Oh my god I’d squish his dumb face in an argument.

Bachelors from Harvard, Masters from Columbia, Doctorate from University of Chicago. Sowell has served on the faculties of several universities, including Cornell University and University of California, Los Angeles. He has also worked for think tanks such as the Urban Institute. Since 1980, he has worked at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He writes from a libertarian conservative perspective. Sowell has written more than thirty books (a number of which have been reprinted in revised editions), and his work has been widely anthologized. He is a National Humanities Medal recipient for innovative scholarship which incorporated history, economics and political science.

I have a hard time reconciling that these 2 posters are talking about the same person.

Having watched a number of Thomas Sowell interviews, I'm inclined to the second opinion about him and not the first.

Back
Top Bottom