• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Thje need for authenticity

Heck, I could care less what a person's political positoin is or even if they feel that homosexuality is wrong due to their religion, as long as they are not denigrating, persecuting, or dehumanizing gays and lesbians, it's all good.

I have not seen this in practice. :shrug:

Now if you are someone who supports a politician who openly engages in that kind of behavior, it's a bit of a gray area for me whether or not you are anti gay, especially if you do nothing to disagree with them.

Like those who support Obama? oh wait. :ssst:

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Now if you are someone who supports a politician who openly engages in that kind of behavior, it's a bit of a gray area for me whether or not you are anti gay, especially if you do nothing to disagree with them.

hmmm, good point Rev. Obama is against gay marriage. therefore, according to CT, anyone who supports Obama must be anti-gay :shrug: and :lamo

I have not seen this in practice. :shrug:

Why don't you go back and actually read this thread, because you are making yourself look pretty dumb right now.

Has Obama denigrated, persecuted, or dehumanized gays and lesbians? As I stated in this thread which you clearly have not read, it doesn't matter if someone finds homosexuality wrong or if they don't support same sex marriage, what matters is that they don't denigrate, persecute, or dehumanize gays and lesbians.

Here is somewhere you can start so you can understand what I mean by that...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-and-sexuality/85924-thje-need-authenticity-3.html#post1059107844

As far as my position on the political positions you could have picked that up in the OP...

Now when it comes to the political issues of gay rights and same sex marriage, that is a bit more complicated. However, we live in a democratic society and so we can agree to disagree. Sanctity and tradition are important values to some and equality and fairness are important values to others. We can remain authentic to our own values without attacking or belittling the values of others.

Last edited:
hmmm, good point Rev. Obama is against gay marriage. therefore, according to CT, anyone who supports Obama must be anti-gay :shrug: and :lamo

Why don't you go back and actually read this thread, because you are making yourself look pretty dumb right now. Has Obama denigrated, persecuted, or dehumanized gays and lesbians? As I stated in this thread which you clearly have not read, it doesn't matter if someone finds homosexuality wrong or if they don't support same sex marriage, what matters is that they don't denigrate, persecute, or dehumanize gays and lesbians.

Here is somewhere you can start.so you understand what I mean by that...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-and-sexuality/85924-thje-need-authenticity-3.html#post1059107844

As far as my position on the political positions you could have picked that up in the OP...

Now when it comes to the political issues of gay rights and same sex marriage, that is a bit more complicated. However, we live in a democratic society and so we can agree to disagree. Sanctity and tradition are important values to some and equality and fairness are important values to others. We can remain authentic to our own values without attacking or belittling the values of others.

Last edited:
Why don't you go back and actually read this thread, because you are making yourself look pretty dumb right now. Has Obama denigrated, persecuted, or dehumanized gays and lesbians? As I stated in this thread which you clearly have not read, it doesn't matter if someone finds homosexuality wrong or if they don't support same sex marriage, what matters is that they don't denigrate, persecute, or dehumanize gays and lesbians.

Here is somewhere you can start.so you understand what I mean by that...

oh please, this forum is filled with threads where gays/gay supporters have stated or implied that being against gay marriage is equivalent to being a homophobe which is equivalent to being anti-gay.

do I really have to go back thru every thread and count the number of times someone has said that anyone against gay marriage hates gays and wants to deny them their rights?

is a little integrity and intellectual honesty too much to ask for?

oh please, this forum is filled with threads where gays/gay supporters have stated or implied that being against gay marriage is equivalent to being a homophobe which is equivalent to being anti-gay.

And if you had read this thread then you would know we were discussing how counterproducive such an attitude is.

do I really have to go back thru every thread and count the number of times someone has said that anyone against gay marriage hates gays and wants to deny them their rights?

No, you only have to go through this thread, the one you are commenting on with little to no knowledge of what it is about.

is a little integrity and intellectual honesty too much to ask for?

Please show some by actually taking the time to read this thread. This is not a thread arguing whether homosexuality or same sex marriage is right or wrong, it is a thread discussing ways in which we can be more civil with on another when it comes to this topic. That includes recognizing that people who feel that homosexuality is wrong and who don't support same sex marriage are not necessarily anti gay but those who denigrate, persecute, and dehumanize gays and lesbians are.

Back
Top Bottom