• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Woman Got 8 Years In Prison For Illegal Voting. Texas Is Showing No Mercy

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-voter-fraud-prison_us_5c01a9afe4b0a173c02305c1

Rosa Maria Ortega’s case illustrates the enormous discretion that prosecutors have in how harshly they pursue voter fraud.

A Texas appeals court last week refused to overturn the conviction of a 39-year-old mother of four who has been sentenced to eight years in prison for illegal voting. She could also be deported.

There’s little dispute that Rosa Maria Ortega did in fact break the law. Ortega came to the United States from Mexico as a baby and was living in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. Although it’s against the law for non-citizens to vote in Texas, Ortega registered to vote in 2002 as a Republican and then cast ballots multiple times over more than a decade. She tried to register again after moving in 2014, which is when state investigators noticed something was amiss. They arrested her in January 2016.
=======================================
She lied & voted multiple times despite being a non-citizen. Texas is tough on law breakers.

You take your chances and you have to be willing to accept the consequences if caught. I'm sure the outcry would be enormous if she was a Democrat.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-voter-fraud-prison_us_5c01a9afe4b0a173c02305c1

Rosa Maria Ortega’s case illustrates the enormous discretion that prosecutors have in how harshly they pursue voter fraud.

A Texas appeals court last week refused to overturn the conviction of a 39-year-old mother of four who has been sentenced to eight years in prison for illegal voting. She could also be deported.

There’s little dispute that Rosa Maria Ortega did in fact break the law. Ortega came to the United States from Mexico as a baby and was living in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. Although it’s against the law for non-citizens to vote in Texas, Ortega registered to vote in 2002 as a Republican and then cast ballots multiple times over more than a decade. She tried to register again after moving in 2014, which is when state investigators noticed something was amiss. They arrested her in January 2016.
=======================================
She lied & voted multiple times despite being a non-citizen. Texas is tough on law breakers.

lock her up and throw away the key. good riddance

It's not like she voted multiple times in one election, she just voted (after she registered, making herself available for jury duty). She was more engaged in our political process than many Americans. She was willing to take on her duty on a jury. She wanted her voice to be heard, to make a difference, to take part in this grand American experiment in democracy.

People get less time for murder.

It's not like she voted multiple times in one election, she just voted. She was more engaged in our political process than many Americans. She wanted her voice to be heard, to make a difference, to take part in this grand American experiment in democracy.

Then we need to give murderers more time.

Until you can change reality, you're gonna have to deal with it. I know, that's scary, but one can't spend all of ones life in a fantasy.

It's not like she voted multiple times in one election, she just voted (after she registered, making herself available for jury duty). She was more engaged in our political process than many Americans. She was willing to take on her duty on a jury. She wanted her voice to be heard, to make a difference, to take part in this grand American experiment in democracy.

oh god. the alt left radicals excusing this piece of garbage criminal

Until you can change reality, you're gonna have to deal with it. I know, that's scary, but one can't spend all of ones life in a fantasy.

What fantasy might that be? I keep reading this horsesh*t but the comment, in itself, is unconnected to reality.

oh god. the alt left radicals excusing this piece of garbage criminal

This is what qualifies as "piece of garbage criminal" in your book? A mother of four who registered and voted?

I have a feeling your animosity is directed at something other than the "crime".

This is what qualifies as "piece of garbage criminal" in your book? A mother of four who registered and voted?

I have a feeling your animosity is directed at something other than the "crime".

The sentence may be harsh but perhaps it will deter others of like mind. Law is law and we can't pick and choose which to obey. At least normal people can't. Only elites can.

What fantasy might that be? I keep reading this horsesh*t but the comment, in itself, is unconnected to reality.

"In my fantasy world, I'm gonna pretend the entire justice system is out of whack, all the sentences are wrong, nothing else counts, because I must above all else justify this woman's sentence."

Pathetic.

I am fine with jail for this but 8 years seems overkill if she doesn’t have a record (I didn’t read the whole article).

a mother who "illegally" voted. no sympathy for hardened criminals. plenty of murderers have kids. stop pretending that changes anything.

shes a pathetic criminal and i hope she doesnt get parole.

I am fine with jail for this but 8 years seems overkill is she doesn’t have a record (I didn’t read the whole article).

Like society needs to be kept safe from this mother of four. Where's the justice; where's our security?

"In my fantasy world, I'm gonna pretend the entire justice system is out of whack, all the sentences are wrong, nothing else counts, because I must above all else justify this woman's sentence."

Pathetic.

I never attempted to justify her sentence. I said that one must accept the risks inherent in breaking the law.

a mother who "illegally" voted. no sympathy for hardened criminals. plenty of murderers have kids. stop pretending that changes anything.

shes a pathetic criminal and i hope she doesnt get parole.

You're calling a mother of four who did nothing wrong except register and vote a murderer and "piece of garbage criminal".

You can't see what that looks like?

I never attempted to justify her sentence. I said that one must accept the risks inherent in breaking the law.

That's a stupid lie.

You claimed, in attempt to justify her sentence, that other sentences should be longer:

Are you gonna be able to see what you did looking at it a second time? So stupid.

Last edited:
I am fine with jail for this but 8 years seems overkill if she doesn’t have a record (I didn’t read the whole article).

How many times did she illegally vote (with each time being a felony)?

You're calling a mother of four who did nothing wrong except register and vote a murderer and "piece of garbage criminal".

You can't see what that looks like?

she committed a crime. youre acting like she didnt commit a crime. theres a reason she was tried, convicted, and appeal denied. her kids have to suffer because shes selfish

How many times did she illegally vote (with each time being a felony)?

She's been registered and voting nearly 20 years. Her name was on the roll, she went in with ID and voted. That is her only crime in 20 years. She's a mother of four. "Piece of garbage criminal"?

That's a stupid lie.

You claimed, in attempt to justify her sentence, that other sentences should be longer:

Are you gonna be able to see what you did looking at it a second time? So stupid.

So, what? If there are stiff sentences on the books for violating voting laws maybe people will think twice about violating them. That has nothing to do with whether 8 years is justified. Obviously, 8 years for murder is absurd.

she committed a crime. youre acting like she didnt commit a crime. theres a reason she was tried, convicted, and appeal denied. her kids have to suffer because shes selfish

Your demonization is naked.

She's been registered and voting nearly 20 years. Her name was on the roll, she went in with ID and voted. That is her only crime in 20 years. She's a mother of four. "Piece of garbage criminal"?

I never said that she was "garbage" but noted that she has committed many felonies and should be deported.

Back
Top Bottom