• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Woman Got 8 Years In Prison For Illegal Voting. Texas Is Showing No Mercy

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-voter-fraud-prison_us_5c01a9afe4b0a173c02305c1

Rosa Maria Ortega’s case illustrates the enormous discretion that prosecutors have in how harshly they pursue voter fraud.

A Texas appeals court last week refused to overturn the conviction of a 39-year-old mother of four who has been sentenced to eight years in prison for illegal voting. She could also be deported.

There’s little dispute that Rosa Maria Ortega did in fact break the law. Ortega came to the United States from Mexico as a baby and was living in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. Although it’s against the law for non-citizens to vote in Texas, Ortega registered to vote in 2002 as a Republican and then cast ballots multiple times over more than a decade. She tried to register again after moving in 2014, which is when state investigators noticed something was amiss. They arrested her in January 2016.
=======================================
She lied & voted multiple times despite being a non-citizen. Texas is tough on law breakers.

Nonsense. Liberals keep telling us there is no voter fraud and our systems are more than adequate to prevent it. Now you are claiming that it took 14 years to catch her?

so youre claiming she committed no felonies?

you should sue the institution that is issuing you a phd

I'm claiming her sentence is injustice. Got reading trouble? Perhaps you should speak with a highschool.

I'm claiming her sentence is injustice. Reading trouble? Perhaps you should speak with a highschool.

why is being punished for committing multiple felonies "injustice"? lol (laugh out loud)

I'm claiming her sentence is injustice. Reading trouble? Perhaps you should speak with a highschool.

Perhaps with the amount of felonies she committed, the judge went easy on her. What do you know about her sentencing?

Twenty years of hard work raising four kids and not a brush with the law. They're gonna lose her, for 8 years, because she felt a duty to participate. She wasn't trying to fool anyone. She registered. They gave her the okay for years. Then they took her from her kids.

So what? Does producing and raising children mitigate crime now? And NO, "they" didn't take her from her kids. No one "takes" criminals from their kids. Criminals do that. No one else.

FOr more info on this
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/te...entenced-to-8-years-in-prison-for-voter-fraud

I agree the 8 years is way to harsh but it seems she got bad information/advice from somebody and could of just had two years community service
Crime is a crime and she is guilty of many . . .

Wow, so she's an idiot as well as a felon. She LIED about being a citizen. Fraudulently voted many times. Then she declined a fricking slap on the hand and chose a jury trial. What a moron!! Who would take that chance with kids?

Perhaps with the amount of felonies she committed, the judge went easy on her. What do you know about her sentencing?

Hopefully, the judge won't go easy on Donald Trump.

Twenty years of hard work raising four kids and not a brush with the law. They're gonna lose her, for 8 years, because she felt a duty to participate. She wasn't trying to fool anyone. She registered. They gave her the okay for years. Then they took her from her kids.

She was fully aware that she was not a US citizen - that point will be even more apparent after she is deported.

Wow, so she's an idiot as well as a felon. She LIED about being a citizen. Fraudulently voted many times. Then she declined a fricking slap on the hand and chose a jury trial. What a moron!! Who would take that chance with kids?

I cant disagree . . .im guessing some overzealous misguided defense lawyer proclaimed this is something she should fight

She was fully aware that she was not a US citizen - that point will be even more apparent after she is deported.

She was offered two years community service? That's an appropriate sentence. And no deportation.

She's a hard working woman raising four kids trying to do her duty as an American and got caught in red tape.

Nonsense. Liberals keep telling us there is no voter fraud and our systems are more than adequate to prevent it. Now you are claiming that it took 14 years to catch her?

Really? i know a lot of so called liberals i dont know any that said there is no voter fraud going on . . .

can you quote a bunch of them saying no voter fraud is going on, or anybody right left and center. Id like to mock those quotes for the silliness they are!

You know people commit all sorts of crimes while having kids. They sell drugs, steal, rob, murder... all that.

But voting, those are the real monsters.

You know people commit all sorts of crimes while having kids. They sell drugs, steal, rob, murder... all that.

But voting, those are the real monsters.

I really wonder if you're American. No American worth their salt would spit on the graves of the millions of soldiers who fought and died to protect our sacred vote which we the people use in our democracy, under our Constitution.
No one messes with our sacred vote. Period.

I'll just bet you are thrilled beyond delight that Mueller is indicting people right and left for lying. Those are the real monsters, right?

She's been registered and voting nearly 20 years. Her name was on the roll, she went in with ID and voted. That is her only crime in 20 years. She's a mother of four. "Piece of garbage criminal"?

Illegal....and voted how many times?

Nice deflection earlier comparing her sentence to murderers.

Right in step.

She was offered two years community service? That's an appropriate sentence. And no deportation.

She's a hard working woman raising four kids trying to do her duty as an American and got caught in red tape.

That only US citizens can legally vote is not "red tape".

That only US citizens can legally vote is not "red tape".

She lives here 20 years, raises four kids and doesn't commit any other crime? That's red tape.

She lives here 20 years, raises four kids and doesn't commit any other crime? That's red tape.

Nope, there is no provision in the law for non-citizens (or parents) to get free passes for illegally voting.

Nope, there is no provision in the law for non-citizens (or parents) to get free passes for illegally voting.

Who said free pass?

I said, in this case, 8 years in prison is gross injustice. Her attorneys banked on such not possibly occurring and probably angled for some big win creating precedent and putting their names in law books for a generation.

This hard working otherwise honest and innocent person doesn't deserve 8 years. I'm saying 8 years is unjust. I'm not saying free pass.

Her imprisonment doesn't protect society. Where's the justice?

You know what she didn't do? Become a U.S. citizen with a right to vote.
Womp
Womp

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-voter-fraud-prison_us_5c01a9afe4b0a173c02305c1

Rosa Maria Ortega’s case illustrates the enormous discretion that prosecutors have in how harshly they pursue voter fraud.

A Texas appeals court last week refused to overturn the conviction of a 39-year-old mother of four who has been sentenced to eight years in prison for illegal voting. She could also be deported.

There’s little dispute that Rosa Maria Ortega did in fact break the law. Ortega came to the United States from Mexico as a baby and was living in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident. Although it’s against the law for non-citizens to vote in Texas, Ortega registered to vote in 2002 as a Republican and then cast ballots multiple times over more than a decade. She tried to register again after moving in 2014, which is when state investigators noticed something was amiss. They arrested her in January 2016.
=======================================
She lied & voted multiple times despite being a non-citizen. Texas is tough on law breakers.
So, what exactly was she charged with? Multiple counts of voting illegally? That MIGHT account for the long term.

Back
Top Bottom