• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Website Uses Your First Name to See If You Vote Democrat or Republican

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.yahoo.com/news/website-uses-first-name-see-171400572.html?nhp=1
This Website Uses Your First Name to See If You Vote Democrat or Republican

What's in a name?

In Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner's 2005 bestselling book Freakonomics, the duo explored how much names really account for. It turns out, though there are many confounding factors, first names can be an indicator of someone's socioeconomic status, aspirations and identity.
(How Much Does Your Name Matter? Full Transcript - Freakonomics Freakonomics)
Now, your name could reveal one more thing about you: Who you're voting for............

............The app creators at Verdant Labs (http://apprecs.com/blog/) used data from the Federal Election Commission and "looked at all 20 million campaign contributions since 1996 and broke them out by name and whether they were for the Democratic or Republican party." They parsed out those who made mostly Republican contributions as Republicans and Democratic contributions as Democrats. Researchers then compiled a list of names of people who, overall, were likely to be Republicans and people who were likely to be Democrats and — voila! — whipped up a search engine that allows you to look up which way your name skews."

(http://apprecs.com/vis/democrat-republican-name)

ALSO SEE:
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything: Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner: 9780060731328: Amazon.com: Books

How Much Does Your Name Matter? Full Transcript - Freakonomics Freakonomics

I'm 55/45 GOP, and I give 500 bucks.

Or so it says ...

My name slightly leans Republican apparently.

Oh, this is too funny!

First three names most favoring Clinton:

1] Mohammad
2] Liz
3] Juan

Couldn't make this up ...

42D/58R - $500 for me and, 56D/44R - $400 for my wife. Pretty close, actually. We have a mixed marriage.

Or so it says ...

I looked through it thoroughly... looks to me like they spent a whole lot of time on this to come up with something that would be 90+% common sense.
if your name is ethnically middle eastern, Hispanic, African, or common names among black americans, your name almost certainly skews democrat. if its Asian it probably skews democrat.
If its something else it probably skews republican.

Or so it says ...
Me

58.3%
Democrats
41.7%
Republicans
$500
Median contribution

And I am Canadian lol

The problem is, most of the names are not really significantly one way or the other. The vast majority are pretty much even, meaning the whole thing is just stupid.

Oh, this is too funny!

1] Mohammad
2] Liz
3] Juan

You are sooo mean.

Me

58.3%
Democrats
41.7%
Republicans
$500
Median contribution

And I am Canadian lol
:lamo

I think that 500 bucks might be a violation, then!

It's odd, my full name is 0.04% less Democrat than the shortened version! Either way they're both nearly 70% Republican, though I'm to the left of Bernie!

54% Republican and 54% for Trump.

Pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.

It's odd, my full name is 0.04% less Democrat than the shortened version! Either way they're both nearly 70% Republican, though I'm to the left of Bernie!

You may want to look at your feet, you may be in the water? :lamo

I looked through it thoroughly... looks to me like they spent a whole lot of time on this to come up with something that would be 90+% common sense.
if your name is ethnically middle eastern, Hispanic, African, or common names among black americans, your name almost certainly skews democrat. if its Asian it probably skews democrat.

Mine is very commonly white and skews Democrat (~60/40).

I think names capture more than just ethnicity. Names are also influenced by socioeconomic class, religion, and family background. It may wind up being the case that first names are a better predictor of a person's voting habits than any of those other factors alone.

Oh, this is too funny!

1] Mohammad
2] Liz
3] Juan

How on earth did you catch that and miss the fact that Sanders' #1 is Karl.

Back
Top Bottom