• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Sounds more like Murder than Capital Punishment

The Obama administration executed zero people, you are a liar.
Did you even read the article? It points out the program to source and acquire the drugs that made these executions possible was begun under Obama.

The "Obama era" did not execute one single person in eight years. Trumpy hit double digits in less than four. Maybe saying stupid shit flies in the Right Wing world, but don't expect intelligent people to swallow that crap.
Please at least read the article in the op. It clearly explains how Obama began the program to source and acquire the drugs used in these executions. Intelligent people have at least read the article posted. Some have even followed up with independent research on the issue.

Please at least read the article in the op. It clearly explains how Obama began the program to source and acquire the drugs used in these executions. Intelligent people have at least read the article posted. Some have even followed up with independent research on the issue.
The article also shows a purdy picture. In it is a graph showing zero executions under Obama and double digits under the orangutan.

Ummm...

That may be against the law where you live, but it's not against the law where I live.

You should talk to your lawmakers about infringing upon your right to keep and bear arms.
The only arms I own are attached to my body.

It was an Obama era program that first began to source and acquire the drugs used in Federal executions.
In 2011, after the 2010 midterms, the US government started steps to resume federal executions but the process was stalled. There were no executions. In fact, outside of one (1) in Dubya's term, the last federal execution was in the Kennedy administration. Trumps up to ten with three more pending and he's started contracting them out. Contracting them out. That's what this thread is about. Trump contracting out executions.

In 2011, after the 2010 midterms, the US government started steps to resume federal executions but the process was stalled. There were no executions. In fact, outside of one (1) in Dubya's term, the last federal execution was in the Kennedy administration. Trumps up to ten with three more pending and he's started contracting them out. Contracting them out. That's what this thread is about. Trump contracting out executions.
Yes, thanks to the fruits of Obama's work to source drugs, Trump was able to execute people. Exactly as the article stated.

The article also shows a purdy picture. In it is a graph showing zero executions under Obama and double digits under the orangutan.
Yes. Sadly Obama took steps to ensure that future administrations could execute people, when he was stopped from doing so. I'm glad you looked at the pretty pictures, but there were also a lot of words in the article that explained this.

Yes, thanks to the fruits of Obama's work to source drugs, Trump was able to execute people. Exactly as the article stated.
"The push to resume federal executions for the first time since 2003 long predates Barr, with groundwork beginning as far back as 2011..."
2011. Immediately after the new Congress was elected in the midterms with the Republicans regaining control of the House.
So the Repubs started the process that went nowhere in five years and you think this means contracting out executions is acceptable?

"The push to resume federal executions for the first time since 2003 long predates Barr, with groundwork beginning as far back as 2011..."
2011. Immediately after the new Congress was elected in the midterms with the Republicans regaining control of the House.
So the Repubs started the process that went nowhere in five years and you think this means contracting out executions is acceptable?
Where did I day this is acceptable? A quote, with post number, please.

Why are you arguing with me if you don't disagree with me?
Ok. So you don't have a post of mine stating that this is acceptable. Concession noted.

Ok. So you don't have a post of mine stating that this is acceptable. Concession noted.
Concession noted? What a juvenile ploy. I don't play stupid games. You've been arguing with me all around the edges of the topic ever since I said contracting professional executioners was wrong. Now you want your inability to be on-topic to result in some kind of sideways playground victory. What are you, 15?
Like I said, I don't play stupid games.

Yes. Sadly Obama took steps to ensure that future administrations could execute people, when he was stopped from doing so. I'm glad you looked at the pretty pictures, but there were also a lot of words in the article that explained this.
Yes, they explained how the Trump administration murdered people by intentionally ignoring active appeals. I know you want to ignore that so you can shout, "Obama!"

You've already been called out on the silliness of that nonsense, numerous times.

Concession noted? What a juvenile ploy. I don't play stupid games. You've been arguing with me all around the edges of the topic ever since I said contracting professional executioners was wrong. Now you want your inability to be on-topic to result in some kind of sideways playground victory. What are you, 15?
Like I said, I don't play stupid games.
Dishonestly attributing positions and statements that I did not make or take is playing silly games. Please fail less and listen more.

Yes, they explained how the Trump administration murdered people by intentionally ignoring active appeals. I know you want to ignore that so you can shout, "Obama!"

You've already been called out on the silliness of that nonsense, numerous times.
Nope, Trump for sure continued the Obama era programs. It's awful, if typical Trump, even though some of these people had been legally given every chance to appeal their sentences and had committed horrendous crimes that are completely unforgivable.

He resurrected the hang 'em high policy. Look at the graph provided by the article in the op,
Congress should have a serious discussion about the dp, but that would leave us with less mud to throw at each other.

Ya know, if I could see clear proof that the death penalty was a solid deterrent, I would be all for it. But we are talking about ending human life. Can we really be sure enough? To me it's that simple.

Getting them out of society seems the best way to deal with it

Ya know, if I could see clear proof that the death penalty was a solid deterrent, I would be all for it. But we are talking about ending human life. Can we really be sure enough? To me it's that simple.

Getting them out of society seems the best way to deal with it
No persons executed have ever killed again.
In cases where certainty has been proven beyond any doubt, resulting in a death penalty conviction, it should be carried out ASAP no more than a week after conviction.
Perhaps hanging should be the default method, allowing the convicted to pick one of several alternate methods if they might prefer.
IMO, making the risk far outweigh the reward would greatly reduce crime when prospective criminals see such punishments being applied.

No persons executed have ever killed again.
In cases where certainty has been proven beyond any doubt, resulting in a death penalty conviction, it should be carried out ASAP no more than a week after conviction.
Perhaps hanging should be the default method, allowing the convicted to pick one of several alternate methods if they might prefer.
IMO, making the risk far outweigh the reward would greatly reduce crime when prospective criminals see such punishments being applied.
Because so many criminals never live in fear of death from other criminals and always consider the consequences of their actions?

Because so many criminals never live in fear of death from other criminals and always consider the consequences of their actions?
Criminals killing criminals should be treated the same as criminals killing innocent/law abiding citizens, which on occasion might result in a two for one.

Criminals killing criminals should be treated the same as criminals killing innocent/law abiding citizens, which on occasion might result in a two for one.

I don't pretend I can chanever your mind. However, we are still talking about choosing to end a human life in a system that has been shown repeatedly to be wrong on occasion. It's not a grey area for me either

I don't pretend I can chanever your mind. However, we are still talking about choosing to end a human life in a system that has been shown repeatedly to be wrong on occasion. It's not a grey area for me either
There are cases where there is no doubt of guilt which should result in the DP, and those are the cases I have been referring to.

There are cases where there is no doubt of guilt which should result in the DP, and those are the cases I have been referring to.
Again, I get your point and appreciate the polite debate. My point is that we could be killing innocents for the sake of a small portion of cases that have true certainty. That's the risk I'm not comfortable with.

As much as I am conflicted about the DP, someone other than Trump did indeed judge these people.
Governments should not be killing people.

Back
Top Bottom