• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This man is a role model and a hero!

What he says is right but it's kind of sad that people really don't know how to act.

The article says that several comments revolved around how this puts the onus for good behavior on the driver instead of the cop. Well....yeah!! Do people really not get that?

Should poor behavior during a routine traffic stop result in a death sentence?

This man is teaching something that many never elearned. i learned this is drivers ed when i was 15 years old.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/african-american-country-singer-coffey-andersons-073347823.html

While I don't wish to criticize Mr. Anderson too hard, some of his stuff seems a little excessive to me.

Over the last couple of years of working night shift (and us being awake and active and driving at night) i've gotten pretty good at being stopped by police on minor mechanical or Terry suspicion stops. This is what I do.

1) unlike this artist, I do not stop my motor. If a policeman asks I will, but I have never been asked.
2) I do not get my papers until they are requested. I tell the officer where the papers are before getting them and reach for them slowly.
3) I answer questions with as few details as possible, remember 5A folks
4) if I chose to carry a handgun that day it will be holstered and strapped to my body under a jacket. I do not produce my CPL unless requested nor volunteer that I am armed (NOTE: some states require lawfully armed citizens to disclose they are armed upon contact)
5) keep hands on the wheel
6) pass the attitude test, don't get emotional or irate with officer

This video is ok, but maybe a little exaggerating of what one needs to do when pulled

While I don't wish to criticize Mr. Anderson too hard, some of his stuff seems a little excessive to me.

Over the last couple of years of working night shift (and us being awake and active and driving at night) i've gotten pretty good at being stopped by police on minor mechanical or Terry suspicion stops. This is what I do.

1) unlike this artist, I do not stop my motor. If a policeman asks I will, but I have never been asked.
2) I do not get my papers until they are requested. I tell the officer where the papers are before getting them and reach for them slowly.
3) I answer questions with as few details as possible, remember 5A folks
4) if I chose to carry a handgun that day it will be holstered and strapped to my body under a jacket. I do not produce my CPL unless requested nor volunteer that I am armed (NOTE: some states require lawfully armed citizens to disclose they are armed upon contact)
5) keep hands on the wheel
6) pass the attitude test, don't get emotional or irate with officer

This video is ok, but maybe a little exaggerating of what one needs to do when pulled

And this is OK?

Since when do US citizens need to tip toe and be overly polite, and conscious of every possible action, when dealing with OFFICERS OF THE LAW, regardless of skin color?

And this is OK?

Since when do US citizens need to tip toe and be overly polite, and conscious of every possible action, when dealing with OFFICERS OF THE LAW, regardless of skin color?

You're not necessarily wrong.
The whole Sandra Bland thing should of never happened.
She was asked to put out her cigarette and refused, which shouldn't of been an issue.

At the same time, like the rules here are, don't be a jerk.
Amazing how things go so well, when people aren't jerks to each other.

Uh...as defined in the vid in the OP.

You, like....watched it, right?

I guess I was hoping you had the ability to define "routine traffic stop" by yourself.

You're not necessarily wrong.
The whole Sandra Bland thing should of never happened.
She was asked to put out her cigarette and refused, which shouldn't of been an issue.

At the same time, like the rules here are, don't be a jerk.
Amazing how things go so well, when people aren't jerks to each other.

As a general rule, when dealing with others, yeah, I agree. Don't be a jerk. But for ****s sake, being a jerk is not illegal, and it certainly isn't punishable by DEATH.

I guess I was hoping you had the ability to define "routine traffic stop" by yourself.

Routine, being regular, often, rote, possibly even dogmatic. An action taken so many times as to be habitual.

In the case of the OP, a traffic stop. Routinely stopping everyone at that area, or everyone within that time period, or simply anyone meeting criteria of requiring a traffic stop. Like reasonable cause, or general suspect. We've all been stopped before. Either at a mass traffic stop, or for running a yellow lite. ROUTINE.

What the OP is describing, is the egg shells CERTAIN members of the population should walk on to ensure a lack of being shot as a result of such routine stops.

Clear that up for ya, or still too vague?

No disagreement from me.
Just my personal utopian wish.

And yet, right here on DP, a group of folks I consider to be fairly "enlightened", at least more so than the typical, you've got people watching the vid and nodding their heads, saying to themselves, yup, that's what you should do.

When did we, as a society, become such cowed ******s, that unapologetic groveling at the boot heels of our enforcers, becomes the rule of the day to not get shot, and the response is, yup, that's the way to do it!

And yet, right here on DP, a group of folks I consider to be fairly "enlightened", at least more so than the typical, you've got people watching the vid and nodding their heads, saying to themselves, yup, that's what you should do.

When did we, as a society, become such cowed ******s, that unapologetic groveling at the boot heels of our enforcers, becomes the rule of the day to not get shot, and the response is, yup, that's the way to do it!

I consider myself neutral, even though I've been heavily critical of BLM and their supporters.
Primarily because of their actions and the fact that their end goal is "muddy" at best.

With that said, police are not god kings, they shouldn't be considered holier than thou, nor should we have to "fear" them in any normal sense.

Routine, being regular, often, rote, possibly even dogmatic. An action taken so many times as to be habitual.

In the case of the OP, a traffic stop. Routinely stopping everyone at that area, or everyone within that time period, or simply anyone meeting criteria of requiring a traffic stop. Like reasonable cause, or general suspect. We've all been stopped before. Either at a mass traffic stop, or for running a yellow lite. ROUTINE.

What the OP is describing, is the egg shells CERTAIN members of the population should walk on to ensure a lack of being shot as a result of such routine stops.

Clear that up for ya, or still too vague?

What I heard you say was that ANY "routine" traffic stop(as defined by Webster's)could end in death. I thought that was a bit broad. Thank you.

What I heard you say was that ANY "routine" traffic stop(as defined by Webster's)could end in death. I thought that was a bit broad. Thank you.
f
I was responding to the OP, which was a vid, that got a LOT of likes. Apparently, people LIKE the idea that one should have to walk on egg shells with cops during routine traffic stops.

That's bull****, plain and simple.

So, maybe the next time you are out driving around the 'hood at about 3:00AM and you get pulled over, show 'em what kind of Rambo you are and whip out your piece. It's clear that you are no groveling, cowardly *****.

f
I was responding to the OP, which was a vid, that got a LOT of likes. Apparently, people LIKE the idea that one should have to walk on egg shells with cops during routine traffic stops.

That's bull****, plain and simple.

No, it's not.

Here's why, btw these aren't fun videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5qDRDPI2xQ

I've worked for a PD, not as an officer, but with them. We got to get ALL the same video's and serious training they did. These are their realities.

If you aren't listening to their instructions, doing what YOU can to make the situation safe...

It's their life that ends if they are wrong and don't act properly. This ain't about being some tough mofo, that's how you get SHOT DEAD by an officer, being "tough".

Should a cop die because he assumed the perp was just displaying poor behavior?

Aren't we meant to respect them because they choose to risk their lives? If they can't accurately assess situations, maybe they shouldn't be cops.

Aren't we meant to respect them because they choose to risk their lives? If they can't accurately assess situations, maybe they shouldn't be cops.

The most ignorant comment on this to date. Congrats Spud.

Maybe the problem is that so many people see this perfectly normal behaviour as being “overly polite, and conscious of every possible action”. If your normal behaviour and attitude when dealing with a stranger in a professional capacity doesn’t naturally meet most of the concepts here, you might have a wider issue.

I am not going to frantically fumble about inside my car trying to get all my papers and crap out and onto the dashboard of the car after I get pulled over. I will sit still and wait for the officer to come to me.

My insurance and car registration are always in my glove box.
My drivers license is always in my wallet in my rear pocket.

I will keep both hands on the steering wheel and be as polite as possible.

Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps in the future when asked to produce papers and license I'll inform officer where they are on my body or car before reaching for them, but in the past I never did and I never had a gun pulled on me. Of course I am white, so......

I think some of what's in that video is "above and beyond" what SHOULD be necessary, but ultimately it's not a bad thing to practice.

Most importantly I'd say to never make any sudden moves. Wait for officer to ask for something specific before reaching for it, and probably the best thing is to tell officer before you reach for something exactly what you have to do to give him/her what they're asking for.

Back
Top Bottom