• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Is The Least Productive Congress In The Nation's History

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Do you think that running parallel with the nation's first black president is a coincidence. I'll double dog guarantee you that the American electorate doesn't.

Good. The less congress and the president do, the better.

Agreed if they do anything if should be repeal laws.

In the next presidential election the Republicans will pay dearly for their total opposition to anything the president wanted to do. They don't get it.......they have been found out!

Yes, we need to urge congress to do more, because they haven't destroyed enough yet. Eleven-thousand regulations last year alone. But, we're expected to get up-in-arms about a "do nothing" congress? One might argue congress doesn't make regulations, but that only exposes the fact that we are being effected by more and more rules, whatever the source.

If congress was to do something, why not pass a law that says the executive should stop writing laws? How about putting some thought into replacing two-thousand page monstrosities with thoughtful laws that don't pass responsibility to regulators?

No person can be expected to know more than one-thousand laws. Why not pass a statute limiting the number of laws to one-thousand? Then if some busy-body wants another law, they have to repeal one first?

Yes, we need to urge congress to do more, because they haven't destroyed enough yet. Eleven-thousand regulations last year alone. But, we're expected to get up-in-arms about a "do nothing" congress? One might argue congress doesn't make regulations, but that only exposes the fact that we are being effected by more and more rules, whatever the source.

If congress was to do something, why not pass a law that says the executive should stop writing laws? How about putting some thought into replacing two-thousand page monstrosities with thoughtful laws that don't pass responsibility to regulators?

No person can be expected to know more than one-thousand laws. Why not pass a statute limiting the number of laws to one-thousand? Then if some busy-body wants another law, they have to repeal one first? .

They write the laws and hold meetings because of their oversight. Just how much power would you like for them to have?

Considering this congresses track record so far, they can't even get a single law repealed.

Right......like their 41 tries to repeal Obama Care. They just don't get it. Anybody who thinks a Republican majority in the country is good for ordinary people needs to improve their reading skills.......or at least start reading.

Right......like their 41 tries to repeal Obama Care. They just don't get it. Anybody who thinks a Republican majority in the country is good for ordinary people needs to improve their reading skills.......or at least start reading.

Obama has done wonders for "ordinary"Americans. Well,in fairness I take that back. He has increased food stamp use 50% in only 4 years. The true sign of progress. For statists like you I imagine that is considered such.

To judge a Congress's effectiveness by the shear number of laws it passes...is foolish

...though this is an abominable bunch.

In the next presidential election the Republicans will pay dearly for their total opposition to anything the president wanted to do. They don't get it.......they have been found out!

Wait till midterms before you go counting on the presidency

Oh I happen to be fairly well read that's why I apose the progressive ideology.

People are very easily manipulated IMO. Half the time I feel like people just swallow talking points whole only to regurgitate them later. It's as if critical thinking is just ooookie to them.

Do you think that running parallel with the nation's first black president is a coincidence. I'll double dog guarantee you that the American electorate doesn't.

What makes a Republican House vote to cut food stamps that disproportionately go to Republicans?

From the NYT:

"Certainly there are frauds among the one in seven Americans getting help from the program formerly known as food stamps. But who are the others, the easy-to-ignore millions who will feel real pain with these cuts? As it turns out, most of them live in Red State, Real People America. Among the 254 counties where food stamp use doubled during the economic collapse, Mitt Romney won 213 of them, Bloomberg News reported. Half of Owsley County, Ky., is receiving federal food aid. Half."

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/red-state-pain/?hp&_r=0

Surely when the party the people elect is so ideologically opposed to them the system is fundamentally broken.

Obama has done wonders for "ordinary"Americans. Well,in fairness I take that back. He has increased food stamp use 50% in only 4 years. The true sign of progress. For statists like you I imagine that is considered such.

Yeah....poor old guy inheirited a failing economy where the only thing Bush took care of was the banks. You guys don't get it. George W. Bush caused this mess....not the president. It took Franklin Roosevelt eight years and a world war to straighten up after the mess Hoover and the banks made in 1929/1930. Give the guy a break. If the Republican house would get their minds on something besides trying to kill ObamaCare and pass a few job's bills this nation would start rolling again. This chart doesn't cover the entire time but it damn sure shows what happened:

Bush+vs.+Obama,+Jobs.jpg

"They have been found out???" :rofl what in the world does that mean?? :doh

And now Repub Rep. Gingrey in GA complains about his salary.
Pray for Broun to be the GA Senate candidate, another Akin/Mourdock.
He has lots of juicy whacko garbage already.
Yeah....poor old guy inheirited a failing economy where the only thing Bush took care of was the banks. You guys don't get it. George W. Bush caused this mess....not the president. It took Franklin Roosevelt eight years and a world war to straighten up after the mess Hoover and the banks made in 1929/1930. Give the guy a break. If the Republican house would get their minds on something besides trying to kill ObamaCare and pass a few job's bills this nation would start rolling again. This chart doesn't cover the entire time but it damn sure shows what happened:

Bush+vs.+Obama,+Jobs.jpg

What criteria is used to measure productivity? Spending?

You assume Congress was designed to be productive. Honestly, I would rather Congress pass unsubstantial stuff like reaffirming the national anthem than making big decisions. "work to be done" doesn't equal " work that makes sense."

Least productive congress? You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

This administration is determined to "transform" this nation.
The republican house is refusing to go along - because the American people are refusing to go along.
This administration labels that a "do-nothing congress"
We applaud the the "do-nothing congress" for doing what we want rather than what the traitor in the WH wants. :applaud

Back
Top Bottom