• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

This is probably a foolish question..

Wake

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
...But why is it that people have so many varying opinions and beliefs? Is it influence? Chemical differences in the brain? What?

I don't know if there's even a definable answer. It just leaves me pondering over it at times.

...But why is it that people have so many varying opinions and beliefs? Is it influence? Chemical differences in the brain? What?

I don't know if there's even a definable answer. It just leaves me pondering over it at times.

It's a majority "nurture" and not so much nature. A crass view would be to see it more as "brainwashing" of a sort - but diversification is a good thing. It prevents us from all being part of a single minded hive.

It's a majority "nurture" and not so much nature. A crass view would be to see it more as "brainwashing" of a sort - but diversification is a good thing. It prevents us from all being part of a single minded hive.

That varies considerably with the person.

Some people are little more than programmable automatons, so easily are they trained, but others are so fiercely independent, they are almost immune from the effects of other people.

Some people are little more than programmable automatons, so easily are they trained, but others are so fiercely independent, they are almost immune from the effects of other people.

But would you agree that the majority of automatons and the independent get to where they are as a result of "nurture" and not "nature"?

But would you agree that the majority of automatons and the independent get to where they are as a result of "nurture" and not "nature"?

Yes, on the first group, no on the latter. You cannot indoctrinate a person to be independent.

Absolutely agreed that "nature" has nothing to do with it. We're all looking out for what we perceive as our own best interests. I don't agree that it's brainwashing...it's self-preservation.

It occurs to me that the only programmable automatons we perceive are those who don't agree with us.

I disagree. I'm a fan of the Meyers Briggs typology of personalities. I think that humans are born with some predetermined characteristics (i.e., level of intelligence, innate math/verbal skills, etc.) and then nuture does the rest of the job.

I tend to believe, and research suggests that this is true, that of all the personality types, the S types are most likely to be religious. The N types are less likely to be religious. Part of this has to do with some of our innate characteristics. S-types like rules, structure, clear black and whites. N-types don't value rules unless they consider the rules valuable. They don't tend to fit very well into organized religions.

As a mom, I'd like to claim credit for my kids' personalities, but frankly, they came with a lot of characteristics already pre-programmed. My daughter, for instance, has been hard-headed/independent/highly motivated since birth. Her first sentence was, "I want to do it myself."

I'm not sure how i nurtured that into her. I think she came preprogrammed with that tendency.

My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics

S types versus N types: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Sensing or Intuition

I bet if we did a survey of personality types on here, then did a corresponding survey of religious views, we'd find that the N types are less religious, the S types are more religious.

I like this overview...it's funny: Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective

Last edited:
We'd definitely want to "cure" idealism, open-mindedness, tolerance, and creativity, right?
what's so idealist/open-minded/tolerant/creative about liberalism?

Last edited:
I disagree. I'm a fan of the Meyers Briggs typology of personalities. I think that humans are born with some predetermined characteristics (i.e., level of intelligence, innate math/verbal skills, etc.) and then nuture does the rest of the job.

I tend to believe, and research suggests that this is true, that of all the personality types, the S types are most likely to be religious. The N types are less likely to be religious. Part of this has to do with some of our innate characteristics. S-types like rules, structure, clear black and whites. N-types don't value rules unless they consider the rules valuable. They don't tend to fit very well into organized religions.

As a mom, I'd like to claim credit for my kids' personalities, but frankly, they came with a lot of characteristics already pre-programmed. My daughter, for instance, has been hard-headed/independent/highly motivated since birth. Her first sentence was, "I want to do it myself."

I'm not sure how i nurtured that into her. I think she came preprogrammed with that tendency.

My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics

S types versus N types: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Sensing or Intuition

I bet if we did a survey of personality types on here, then did a corresponding survey of religious views, we'd find that the N types are less religious, the S types are more religious.

I like this overview...it's funny: Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective

Yeah, I'm INFP and definitely not religious.

If you have to ask this question, you've already had so much of the red koolaid that I can't help you.

p.s. This is the sort of question that only an ISFJ would ask.
didn't answer me, noted.

Please, I beg you, explain to me, and everyone here, why liberalism is the "ideaology" of creativity and open mindedness, and et ceteras! Because last time I checked, you can be creative, and open minded, and still be, "not-liberal", last time I checked...perhaps I should check again...but yes.

Otherwise, you are jsut espousing a stereotype based merely on conventional wisdom, of which I, for whatever reason, am not allowed to question.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm INFP and definitely not religious.

STRONG INTP here. I have no idea what that means in the greater world beyond reading a few websites though. I am religious, but I have a hard time fitting my religion into any sort of prefit structure.

last time I checked, you can be creative, and open minded, and still be, "not-liberal", last time I checked...perhaps I should check again...but yes.

lib·er·al   /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/ Show Spelled
[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

Versus...

con·serv·a·tive   /kənˈsɜrvətɪv/ Show Spelled
[kuhn-sur-vuh-tiv] Show IPA

–adjective
1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.
3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.
4. ( often initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.
5. ( initial capital letter ) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.
6. having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.
7. Mathematics . (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.
–noun
8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.
9. a supporter of conservative political policies.
10. ( initial capital letter ) a member of a conservative political party, esp. the Conservative party in Great Britain.
11. a preservative.

Why so defensive, bro? :D

Last edited:
We'd definitely want to "cure" idealism, open-mindedness, tolerance, and creativity, right?

The liberals here seem to be only tolerant of people who agree with them. They are also not open- minded in my opinion.

The liberals here seem to be only tolerant of people who agree with them. They are also not open- minded in my opinion.

I often see you confuse intolerence with disagreement.

You have little tolerance of traditional values.
You have tolerance of foreigners and little tolerance for American conservatives.

In what way is catz intolerent of traditional values?

Versus...

Why so defensive, bro? :D
Questioning a common stereotype is defensive :???:

So, what youa re saying is, you have to be a liberal to be creative/tolerant, etc? I come from a family of artists, they worked with a diverse group of people everyday untill they retired, they are conservative. Do they hate black people now?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom