• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is not good

Dav

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Okay, so out of the last 90 hours (that's 3.75 days for those too lazy to do math), I have gotten one full night of sleep (10 hours), plus two naps (2 hours and 3 hours). That one full night of sleep was 48 hours ago, and I've gotten only one nap in since then. I just got out of bed after being in it for almost 3 hours and not being able to sleep. It is now 5:20 AM.

So what the hell? Nothing seems to satisfactorally explain this. Anything that I could attribute to having caused insomnia - inactivity, too much time in front of the computer, ect. - is not new, and hasn't prevented me from being able to sleep in the past. Granted, I had a bad sleep schedule, waking up late and going to sleep late... but going to sleep late didn't change the fact that I could, in fact, sleep. And when it started, I had even woken up at around 11:00 AM, which is late, but a bit earlier than I had been getting up for a while. So that wouldn't explain it either. My medication now is no different than what is has been for almost a year. The only other explanation Wikipedia is giving me is stress/anxiety, which if I have, I haven't noticed, and I don't know why I would have it.

Luckily, by coincidence I had an appointment with my psychiatrist yesterday (or today, since it's all one big day), and he gave me some Lunesta, which he says should help. I foolishly thought I wouldn't need to start using it until tomorrow night (or tonight, or whatever you want to call it). But even if it works - hopefully it will - I'm left at a complete loss as to why this happened. It's not just that I can't sleep, it's like I can't sleep even when I feel tired.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this here; I guess I'm just looking for input. Has this ever happened to any of you here? It has literally never happened to me before.

Anxiety would be my guess. It may be something that is bugging you unconsciously. I have some ideas but, public forums are not appropriate for that kind of thing.

Xanex works wonders for me if I cant get to sleep because of stress. But a less hardcore remedy is Advil. If that dont work, Nyquil. I have anxiety problems so I can relate. I havent had a very easy life and over the years my nerves have gotten a tad..... haywire I suppose.

I like this on one hand you have spud saying exercise, then the next guy says drugs...

I'm with spud. Work your ass off so that you are spent.... You'll sleep like a baby.

I agree that it's probably physical inactivity coupled with mental extreme activity. As far as why this never happened before, there may be a few reasons. 1) It may be that as you get older, your body is changing. I don't mean to sound like a dork, but you pretty much have the body of an adult now, and things are different. 2) You may think nothing's changed, but something really has. Maybe it's an extra hour online. Maybe it's the anxiety over not sleeping. Maybe the weather? Maybe you're eating or drinking something late at night that's giving you too much energy. You could be overlooking something.

I think a few nights of poor sleep is not a good enough problem for lunesta. If this had been going on for weeks, then sure, your body needs some help. But everyone has a few nights like that once in a while. Your dr is a bit extreme IMO.

I had been sleeping very poorly in the past few weeks because of the humidty. Though it's not hot at night, I really need heavy blankets on top of me when I sleep. Without that, I was having a hard time falling and staying asleep. It finally caught up with me a few days ago, and I had such a headache that I thougt my skull was going to crack. Fortunately, we had a really cool night the other night, so I was able to get back on track.

You have to start slowly backing up your bedtime. Go to bed when tired. Don't bother getting into bed if you're still wide awake. Tossing and turning will only keep you awake longer.

Good luck.

then the next guy says drugs...

Drugs are definitely necessary in this case. Working out is something I should have done, but was too tired (I should have done it anyways). It might help, and it might not. But I can't put my hope in "might" right now. Lunesta is definitely the way to go, maybe with a side of excersize, if I'm up to it.

I agree that it's probably physical inactivity coupled with mental extreme activity. As far as why this never happened before, there may be a few reasons. 1) It may be that as you get older, your body is changing. I don't mean to sound like a dork, but you pretty much have the body of an adult now, and things are different. 2) You may think nothing's changed, but something really has. Maybe it's an extra hour online. Maybe it's the anxiety over not sleeping. Maybe the weather? Maybe you're eating or drinking something late at night that's giving you too much energy. You could be overlooking something.

I think a few nights of poor sleep is not a good enough problem for lunesta. If this had been going on for weeks, then sure, your body needs some help. But everyone has a few nights like that once in a while. Your dr is a bit extreme IMO.

I had been sleeping very poorly in the past few weeks because of the humidty. Though it's not hot at night, I really need heavy blankets on top of me when I sleep. Without that, I was having a hard time falling and staying asleep. It finally caught up with me a few days ago, and I had such a headache that I thougt my skull was going to crack. Fortunately, we had a really cool night the other night, so I was able to get back on track.

You have to start slowly backing up your bedtime. Go to bed when tired. Don't bother getting into bed if you're still wide awake. Tossing and turning will only keep you awake longer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts and kindness... but not only was my doctor not being extreme, I at the time thought he wasn't being extreme enough.
It's not just a few nights of poor sleep, it's a few nights of no sleep, not even a wink. And it's not a matter of not getting myself tired enough, because I can't sleep even when I'm tired. If this had been going on for a few weeks, I'd need a visit to the hospital, not just a pill.
You are right that there must be something I am overlooking, though.

Drugs are definitely necessary in this case. Working out is something I should have done, but was too tired (I should have done it anyways). It might help, and it might not. But I can't put my hope in "might" right now. Lunesta is definitely the way to go, maybe with a side of excersize, if I'm up to it.

I don't know all your details so just take my opinion as just that an opinion. I'd spend a saturday hauling wood or something strenuous and see if you get good sleep that night, if so, I'd say the lunesta is not a help....

But defer to your MD of course.

Dav, you're at a point where you are beyond overtired. It's actually harder to sleep when you're overtired. I feel for you, Kiddo. I've had sleep problems most of my life, and it really, really stinks to be that tired. Please don't drive today, K?

Treat yourself like you're sick today, and relax, relax, relax.

Before I got diagnosed with my heart condition I could only sleep sitting up and then only for a little bit. One time I had a dream I was sleeping in my chair well I really was sleeping in the chair.

Please don't drive today, K?

I actually had plans to cash some checks and buy a video game until I saw this and thought about it, and realized that I probably wouldn't be up to using that money or playing the game today anyways, even if I did want to risk driving. So yeah, staying at home today.

I'm oddly less tired than I thought I'd be though. Partly thanks to the Red Bull, but even without that, the tiredness is in spurts, and comes and goes. Sometimes I almost feel perfectly fine. It's completely sporadic and random at this point.

I personally have found a great way to cure insomnia;

Sit on your bed with your face towards the wall, place both of your palms on the wall, forming a rectangle between your chest, your two arms and the wall.
Carefully tilt your head backwards until it creates a 45 degrees angle with the wall, and focus your strength in the skull.
Now in one sharp move, quickly tilt your head forward and bash it directly into the wall.
At that part you should at least feel dizzy; let the dizziness take control(You may wildly shake your head to hasten up the process), and within a few seconds you should enjoy a good night sleep.
In the case that you do not feel the effect immediately, you may find it necessary to place both palms on the wall and repeat the process until the lost of consciousness.

Disclaimer: The poster is not a medical expert.

I personally have found a great way to cure insomnia;

Sit on your bed with your face towards the wall, place both of your palms on the wall, forming a rectangle between your chest, your two arms and the wall.
Carefully tilt your head backwards until it creates a 45 degrees angle with the wall, and focus your strength in the skull.
Now in one sharp move, quickly tilt your head forward and bash it directly into the wall.
At that part you should at least feel dizzy; let the dizziness take control(You may wildly shake your head to hasten up the process), and within a few seconds you should enjoy a good night sleep.
In the case that you do not feel the effect immediately, you may find it necessary to place both palms on the wall and repeat the process until the lost of consciousness.

Disclaimer: The poster is not a medical expert.

Alternatively, I could go to the abortion or middle east forums to induce the same action....

Dav- I hate to tell you this, but as you age, things really tend to go to hell.;)

Kidding aside, I suspect CC's onto something, or you could just be psychologically overloaded. Mental stress is (in my experience) the worst kind of stress because it bleeds over into emotional health and function. Chronic insomnia related to stress creates a unhealthy cycle that feeds on itself. I recommend trying to find the cause and learn how to avert the symptoms.

My husband went through several sleepless nights - but that was because of med lapse (Dr didn't clear the refill before it ran out - he didn't have ti for a few days).

When you suffer from that much insomnia - regardless of how it's spurred on - your body does sleep, you just don't know it. . . and it's not healthy, solid, either - it's a few seconds here and there while you're doing other things (driving, sitting at the comp, watching tv) - and thus, until you figure this out, you should really avoid driving.

PS Dav, take a break from the video games and computer stuff today. You need to turn your mind off. [/mom]

I actually had plans to cash some checks and buy a video game until I saw this and thought about it, and realized that I probably wouldn't be up to using that money or playing the game today anyways, even if I did want to risk driving. So yeah, staying at home today.

I'm oddly less tired than I thought I'd be though. Partly thanks to the Red Bull, but even without that, the tiredness is in spurts, and comes and goes. Sometimes I almost feel perfectly fine. It's completely sporadic and random at this point.

Put the Red Bull away!! Dear Heaven, you do not need any stimulants! :shock: Veg in front of the tv today, and if you doze off, good! But stay away from that crap. Don't make me call your mother. :naughty

PS Dav, take a break from the video games and computer stuff today. You need to turn your mind off. [/mom]

Put the Red Bull away!! Dear Heaven, you do not need any stimulants! :shock: Veg in front of the tv today, and if you doze off, good! But stay away from that crap. Don't make me call your mother. :naughty

I feel bad for your son :lol:

My mother knows about the Red Bull, and I don't plan on having anymore today anyways. As for the relaxing, well, my own mother seems to not share that view, what with the constant stopping by to tell me things I "eventually" need to get done. But if I am going to take it easy, the computer is as good a place to do that as TV. Right next to my bed and everything, so that every few hours when I feel like I need to sleep or I'll go crazy, I'll lie down and once again not fall asleep. For all I know I'm already crazy.

Anyways, taking care of unfinished business might help me ease my mind, which could help me sleep.

I feel bad for your son :lol:

You sure about that? He's had a busy week, so I've declared today "Lazy Day." As I type, he's upstairs lounging in my bed playing Explorers of Sky on his DS while his lunch is cooking. :mrgreen:

My mother knows about the Red Bull, and I don't plan on having anymore today anyways. As for the relaxing, well, my own mother seems to not share that view, what with the constant stopping by to tell me things I "eventually" need to get done. But if I am going to take it easy, the computer is as good a place to do that as TV. Right next to my bed and everything, so that every few hours when I feel like I need to sleep or I'll go crazy, I'll lie down and once again not fall asleep. For all I know I'm already crazy.

Anyways, taking care of unfinished business might help me ease my mind, which could help me sleep.

You and your mom know whats best for your body*. :yes:

*except the red bull. Get rid of that crap.

I'll PM you what I think may be happening, later.

Xanex works wonders for me if I cant get to sleep because of stress. But a less hardcore remedy is Advil. If that dont work, Nyquil. I have anxiety problems so I can relate. I havent had a very easy life and over the years my nerves have gotten a tad..... haywire I suppose.

Xanex does not make me sleepy just calmer.

Dav, hope you get some sleep:)

Back
Top Bottom