• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

This is just stupid.

dstebbins

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I saw on the news this morning that the House of Representatives passed a bill yesterday that would cut food stamp spending in order to reduce the deficit. THIS IS JUST REDICULOUS, THE ******S! Why don't they just blow ****ing trumphets and scream "SCREW THE PEOPLE WE CARE ABOUT MOOLAH!"

Congress is basically turning it's back on the very people who the government is supposed to serve. What are the low-income earners going to do now? The government already gives them barely enough food stamps to put food on the table at dinner time. I know this because we used to get food stamps until I got a raise, and I got barely enough to buy the bear necessities for the month, like milk, eggs, and bread! The internet was a free service from my phone company, so I don't have to pay for that (it was a "for a limited time" offer).

You get one service cut, you start to loose -- not cut, loose -- more. Pretty soon their going to be cutting social security and forcing seniors to make ends meet their own damn selves!

This is just abominable. Cut transportation spending, cut military funds (because God knows we hate this war). Hell, if it comes down to a last resort, RAISE TAXES! But PLEASE, don't cut any welfare programs. Too many people rely on them to make ends meet.

dstebbins said:
I saw on the news this morning that the House of Representatives passed a bill yesterday that would cut food stamp spending in order to reduce the deficit. THIS IS JUST REDICULOUS, THE ******S! Why don't they just blow ****ing trumphets and scream "SCREW THE PEOPLE WE CARE ABOUT MOOLAH!"

Congress is basically turning it's back on the very people who the government is supposed to serve. What are the low-income earners going to do now? The government already gives them barely enough food stamps to put food on the table at dinner time. I know this because we used to get food stamps until I got a raise, and I got barely enough to buy the bear necessities for the month, like milk, eggs, and bread! The internet was a free service from my phone company, so I don't have to pay for that (it was a "for a limited time" offer).

You get one service cut, you start to loose -- not cut, loose -- more. Pretty soon their going to be cutting social security and forcing seniors to make ends meet their own damn selves!

This is just abominable. Cut transportation spending, cut military funds (because God knows we hate this war). Hell, if it comes down to a last resort, RAISE TAXES! But PLEASE, don't cut any welfare programs. Too many people rely on them to make ends meet.

Americans in need don't mean a damned thing to the neocons. The only thing that matters to them is spending more money on a war that is fought for the wrong reason. Screw the American public. That ought to be their moto.

Mind you I am not a big proponent of most social welfare, especially as the way the States and Fed have royally f'ed them up. However, I find it (not humorously, more disgusted) funny, the feds just past a highway bill with, as I understood, the most pork spending ever.

libertarian_knight said:
Mind you I am not a big proponent of most social welfare, especially as the way the States and Fed have royally f'ed them up. However, I find it (not humorously, more disgusted) funny, the feds just past a highway bill with, as I understood, the most pork spending ever.

Yes, the bridge to nowhere in Alaska means a lot more to these idiots that people in need.

libertarian_knight said:

but of course, all the tax cuts and the corporate welfare still go on as planned.

I can't believe a country as rich as America has food stamps. As far as I know the UK doesn't have food stamps. But I suppose we take more care of the lower classes better (free healthcare etc).

dstebbins said:

With unemplyment down, wages up an you convince me it doesn't need to be cut? Why does it need to remain the same?

Congress is basically turning it's back on the very people who the government is supposed to serve.

It's not suppose to serve the people who don't feed at the government trough?

What are the low-income earners going to do now?

Was the amount that an individual recieves cut?

The government already gives them barely enough food stamps to put food on the table at dinner time.

The government already gives them money someone else earned.

I know this because we used to get food stamps until I got a raise, and I got barely enough to buy the bear necessities for the month, like milk, eggs, and bread! The internet was a free service from my phone company, so I don't have to pay for that (it was a "for a limited time" offer).

But you had a computer and the time to use while someone else was working to pay for your food. Someone who may not have had a computer nor the time to use it as they were working so hard.

How do get from point A to point B here?

Why don't you donate more and get others to do that?

BTW it didn't pass and in only effected families in states that had concocted extra genrous rules that allowed those families who would not qualify in other states because of thier income and savings to recieve them in these certain states.

I still have to wonder about this?

To help pay for the devasted poor of Katrina, Bush is proposing cutting programs designed to help the poor.

To me, this is the same as saying the U.S. doesn't torture, but can we have a provision allowing us to torture just in case we need to?

Arrogance and hypocrisy at work in our government.

Hoot said:
I still have to wonder about this?

To help pay for the devasted poor of Katrina, Bush is proposing cutting programs designed to help the poor.

To me, this is the same as saying the U.S. doesn't torture, but can we have a provision allowing us to torture just in case we need to?

Arrogance and hypocrisy at work in our government.
This is a mandated program by the Federal Government and it is something that they pay very little of. A few states even don't use the money that is offered to them by the Feds. But anywho, wrong place to cute spending which will require already strapped-for-cash states to find money somewhere to pay for this-most likely from China. And then that creates a whole new problem in and of itself.

It will mainly be a big blow to the American farmer. They only grow most of the food you eat so who gives a crap about them, right? Wouldn't want to tax G.E. instead or nothing.

scottyz said:
It will mainly be a big blow to the American farmer. They only grow most of the food you eat so who gives a crap about them, right? Wouldn't want to tax G.E. instead or nothing.

Why would you Tax G.E.? I mean they make motors, turbines, generators and light bulbs farmers use to grow and process food. but you don't care about them right?

Here is an idea, 85% tax on politicians, no retirement benefits, no healthcare coverage, no office/housing allowance or staffing funds, and no special travel considerations, no clothing/dinning/travel write-offs. Let's save money that way.

libertarian_knight said:
Why would you Tax G.E.? I mean they make motors, turbines, generators and light bulbs farmers use to grow and process food. but you don't care about them right?

Here is an idea, 85% tax on politicians, no retirement benefits, no healthcare coverage, no office/housing allowance or staffing funds, and no special travel considerations, no clothing/dinning/travel write-offs. Let's save money that way.
Why would you not want to tax G.E.? We get taxed, farmers get taxed. Why should G.E. not?

dstebbins said:

Why don't you get a ****ing job and quit sponging off of me you ****ing slacker!

scottyz said:
Why would you not want to tax G.E.? We get taxed, farmers get taxed. Why should G.E. not?

it was a sarcastic and satiric response.

libertarian_knight said:
it was a sarcastic and satiric response.
ahh.. sarcasm is always to get over the net. I was also going point out that farmers were getting along fine way before the days of G.E.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Why don't you get a ****ing job and quit sponging off of me you ****ing slacker!
I have a job. I can only work part time because I'm in college, but I do have a job as a buffer at a resteraunt called Ci-Ci's Pizza.

dstebbins said:
I have a job. I can only work part time because I'm in college, but I do have a job as a buffer at a resteraunt called Ci-Ci's Pizza.

hehe, I wouldn't necessarily announce that :) makes you seem young. I gather you are young, but in debate it's good to seem older.

Icing on the cake

the house just gave themselves a raise :shock:
or so i heard

libertarian_knight said:
hehe, I wouldn't necessarily announce that :) makes you seem young. I gather you are young, but in debate it's good to seem older.
dude, I may be young, but at least I'm not as ignorant as the common citizen. I can give you one reason gay marriage should be legal that is so good that the only reason it isn't going to change your mind is because you don't want to let it. I know what's going to happen, but here goes nothing.

The first, and currently only, famous reference of homosexuality being morally wrong is the Bible. If it weren't for the Bible saying "Thou shalt not lay with a man as with a woman. It is an abomination," I garentee that the only people who would be homophobic would be the Nazis, who hate every aspect of different culture altogether. Even athiests who say they did not get any of their morals from religion know deep down inside that it was religion that taught morals to mankind in the first place. For example, name me one thing that is widely considered morally wrong that I cannot trace back to a religious teaching.

You're probably thinking "I know where this is going. Seperation of church and state." WRONG! Instead, I'm going to entertain this argument that religious cults (that's right. I called them cults) make. For every statement it makes against homosexuality itself, there are numerous statements that teach why gay marriage should be legal. 1) While the Bible does speak of homosexuality being a sin, it also speaks of morals such as tolerance and acceptance. 2) It also speaks of not judging people. It does give mankind the power to decide civil and criminal cases, but it speaks of every crime and what the punishment is, such as death penalty for striking a parent. However, the writers of the Bible leave us no penalty for gay sex or gay marriage. Therefore, we have no power to judge it.

Like I said, you aren't going to believe me, but only because you don't want to believe me. It's carved into your head that gays are the enemy, just as it is carved into Bloods' heads that the Crips are the enemy.

dstebbins said:
dude, I may be young, but at least I'm not as ignorant as the common citizen. I can give you one reason gay marriage should be legal that is so good that the only reason it isn't going to change your mind is because you don't want to let it. I know what's going to happen, but here goes nothing.

The first, and currently only, famous reference of homosexuality being morally wrong is the Bible. If it weren't for the Bible saying "Thou shalt not lay with a man as with a woman. It is an abomination," I garentee that the only people who would be homophobic would be the Nazis, who hate every aspect of different culture altogether. Even athiests who say they did not get any of their morals from religion know deep down inside that it was religion that taught morals to mankind in the first place. For example, name me one thing that is widely considered morally wrong that I cannot trace back to a religious teaching.

You're probably thinking "I know where this is going. Seperation of church and state." WRONG! Instead, I'm going to entertain this argument that religious cults (that's right. I called them cults) make. For every statement it makes against homosexuality itself, there are numerous statements that teach why gay marriage should be legal. 1) While the Bible does speak of homosexuality being a sin, it also speaks of morals such as tolerance and acceptance. 2) It also speaks of not judging people. It does give mankind the power to decide civil and criminal cases, but it speaks of every crime and what the punishment is, such as death penalty for striking a parent. However, the writers of the Bible leave us no penalty for gay sex or gay marriage. Therefore, we have no power to judge it.

Like I said, you aren't going to believe me, but only because you don't want to believe me. It's carved into your head that gays are the enemy, just as it is carved into Bloods' heads that the Crips are the enemy.

Feel like you taught me something? Now you have proven yourself young. This is a thread about congrssional spending for starters. For another, I support gay marriage. For a third, the bible does say how "abominations" should be treated. Fourth "Judge not lest ye be judged" is not a prohibition upon judgement, but a call for objectivity and caution even in circumstances the bible would outline punishment, as we are all sinners. Sixth I am not a Christian. Seventh, a lot of nothing goes right by along with my fifth point.

I was saying, when posting and debating, it's best not to SEEM young, which is often characterized by rashness and ignorance, and both have been displayed. Now, realize I AM NOT YOU ENEMY, or even your opponent. All I was doing is offering you a notion that it is beneficial in some circumstances, like these, to appear older and wiser than you really are.

dstebbins said:

I'm in college too wtf does that have to do with it, you're another in a long line of college students who doesn'y get how the world works until after you graduate, unlike me partner, I've got **** all worked out, two year SPC - 4 year USF - Law school Boston College and or graduate degree in poli sci. I don't owe you or anyone else a god damn thing so quit asking for it.

dstebbins said:

Anyone else COMPLETELY baffled by how this seemed relevent?

"Hey man, you may think I'm young because of something I said about food stamps but *******IT HERES WHY GAY MARRIAGE SHOULD BE LEGAL!!!"

actually buddy farmers don't get taxed they get subsidies.
That's complete bs. My family gets taxed all over the place.

actually buddy farmers don't get taxed they get subsidies.

know any famers? everyone gets taxed.... some may get subsidies too but they get taxed.

Back
Top Bottom