• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is how you treat allies

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Canada arrested Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei Technologies, when she changed planes in Vancouver, responding to an extradition request from the US.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ed-huaweis-global-chief-financial-officer-in/

The US alleges she violated sanctions against Iran. China is furious, cancelling a meeting between it's ambassador and the House of Commons foreign affairs committee. Canada and China have been negotiating trade matters, and that will certainly be affected.

The prudent thing to do might have been to delay a phone call and miss the opportunity to arrest her. It would definitely have been the 'Canada First!' move.

Canada arrested Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei Technologies, when she changed planes in Vancouver, responding to an extradition request from the US.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ed-huaweis-global-chief-financial-officer-in/

The US alleges she violated sanctions against Iran. China is furious, cancelling a meeting between it's ambassador and the House of Commons foreign affairs committee. Canada and China have been negotiating trade matters, and that will certainly be affected.

The prudent thing to do might have been to delay a phone call and miss the opportunity to arrest her. It would definitely have been the 'Canada First!' move.
The U.S. is the paramount ally. To quote the rhetorical question in the OP, This is how you treat allies? Why should either of our countries surrender to intellectual property theft?

The U.S. is the paramount ally. To quote the rhetorical question in the OP, This is how you treat allies? Why should either of our countries surrender to intellectual property theft?

Neither should. But I wonder if Trump's America would jeopardize a trade negotiation with China for the sake of honouring an extradition request from Canada. Considering 'America First!' and all that.
It still remains to be seen how this will play out. I for one won't be surprised if the US backs off from the extradition at Chinese urging, tossing Canada under the bus.
As for 'paramount ally', that seems to be a one-way street these days. The US applies tariffs against Canada with a free-trade agreement in place. That's an example of how not to treat an ally.

Arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou; U.S. is Finally Standing Up for Itself in World!

Neither should. But I wonder if Trump's America would jeopardize a trade negotiation with China for the sake of honouring an extradition request from Canada. Considering 'America First!' and all that.
Hopefully yes.

Finally, the U.S. has woken up. Wealthy people who live in unfree and illiberal countries want and need access to the West or life would be miserable. They want access to New York City, arguably the world's capital, for business and entertainment. It has Wall Street and Broadway, a few blocks from each other. Beijing and Shanghai have nothing to match.

Excerpt from NY Times article Meng Wanzhou Was Huawei’s Professional Face, Until Her Arrest:
New York Times said:
That has thrust Ms. Meng, 46, into the center of what promises to be a complex diplomatic tussle between the United States and China. She was arrested Dec. 1 in Vancouver, Canada, while changing flights, at the request of the American government, which is seeking to extradite her. The action escalated what had already been a roller-coaster year of economic conflict between the two powers, ahead of tricky negotiations to end a brutal trade war.
The Chinese are upset about these events. See Huawei Arrest Tests China’s Leaders as Fear and Anger Grip Elite:
New York Times said:
Now Ms. Meng is in custody, after being detained during an airport layover in Vancouver on Saturday, and the outcry has put the Chinese leadership on the spot. Mr. Xi faces competing pressures — to show strength, perhaps by retaliating against the United States, but also to limit the cost of rising tensions and the trade war with Washington on China’s ruling class. “Her arrest will have phenomenal repercussions in China,” said Tao Jingzhou, a corporate lawyer in Beijing. “The wealthy have already been worried for a long time about their safety and their wealth in America,” he added. “If the U.S. is going to pursue corruption and extraterritorial laws, that will increase.”
Indeed, it's good that they should worry. Theft is theft; I am getting tired of diplomats who are more interested in their popularity at cocktail parties with their adversaries than protecting their own country.

It still remains to be seen how this will play out. I for one won't be surprised if the US backs off from the extradition at Chinese urging, tossing Canada under the bus.
As for 'paramount ally', that seems to be a one-way street these days. The US applies tariffs against Canada with a free-trade agreement in place. That's an example of how not to treat an ally.

I think The Donald has been good for the USA, and good for forwarding the cause for Nationalism.
And in the name of Nationalism and Canada's interests, this Meng Wanzhou should probably have been left alone.
And while we discuss this "Pixey-Dust" is about to sign away our sovereignty.
Stupid little ****.

I think The Donald has been good for the USA, and good for forwarding the cause for Nationalism.
And in the name of Nationalism and Canada's interests, this Meng Wanzhou should probably have been left alone.
And while we discuss this "Pixey-Dust" is about to sign away our sovereignty.
Stupid little ****.

How exactly is extraditing a criminal to the US "signing away" our sovereignty? You know this is not the fist time Canada would extradite someone, it is actually a fairly regular occurrence and the treaty has existed since 1976. If we don't extradite to them why would we expect them to extradite people we want?

How exactly is extraditing a criminal to the US "signing away" our sovereignty? You know this is not the fist time Canada would extradite someone, it is actually a fairly regular occurrence and the treaty has existed since 1976. If we don't extradite to them why would we expect them to extradite people we want?

Charles Eng, the mass murderer comes to mind.

He's about to sign onto a UN Migration Pact. While the "claim" is that this is not legally binding, I believe it leaves an external governmental body in control of our immigration laws, rules and conduct. This stupid little pansy is going to sell our beautiful and clean nation, down the river.

I'm of a very mixed opinion on this one.

On the one hand, we ought to live up to our word. I know, I know, it's old fashioned and naïve, and utterly Canadian, but there it is.

On the other hand, why the **** should we stick our neck out for America at all? They have proven to be untrustworthy, shady, turncoat, fair weather friend allies, who take more than they give, except for perhaps their military "protection", which we wouldn't "need" if we hadn't gotten tied up with them in the first place. Their president has been an asshole of unprecedented levels to us, they have disrupted our economy, cost us jobs. They have disrespected us on the world stage, shat on our friendship, and have been willing to put all of us at jeopardy just to stroke their pissant president's fragile ego. Why poke a finger in the eye of a major world player, complicating talks that mean billions in trade for us, and possibly putting us on a list of people to fight if things ever go down? Why anchor ourselves with a seemingly failing empire, at war with itself and anyone that looks at it the wrong way, either through actual war, trade war, or never ending, ever escalating mean girl wars of words of "presidential" twitter accounts?

I guess because keeping your word is old fashioned and naïve, and utterly Canadian. I support this move...more for us than for them.

He's about to sign onto a UN Migration Pact. While the "claim" is that this is not legally binding, I believe it leaves an external governmental body in control of our immigration laws, rules and conduct. This stupid little pansy is going to sell our beautiful and clean nation, down the river.

:roll: I love you, Buzz, but good grief you are a hopeless xenophobe. Just move a little further north, you'll be fine... :lol: Surely you can sell that home in Toronto and build a mansion with your own Trump wall around it in Sudbury or North Bay or something. I hear Pickle Lake is gorgeous this time of year...

:roll: I love you, Buzz, but good grief you are a hopeless xenophobe. Just move a little further north, you'll be fine... :lol: Surely you can sell that home in Toronto and build a mansion with your own Trump wall around it in Sudbury or North Bay or something. I hear Pickle Lake is gorgeous this time of year...

Oh, you Canadians. :2razz:

On the one hand, we ought to live up to our word. I know, I know, it's old fashioned and naïve, and utterly Canadian, but there it is.

On the other hand, why the **** should we stick our neck out for America at all? They have proven to be untrustworthy, shady, turncoat, fair weather friend allies, who take more than they give, except for perhaps their military "protection", which we wouldn't "need" if we hadn't gotten tied up with them in the first place. Their president has been an asshole of unprecedented levels to us, they have disrupted our economy, cost us jobs. They have disrespected us on the world stage, shat on our friendship, and have been willing to put all of us at jeopardy just to stroke their pissant president's fragile ego. Why poke a finger in the eye of a major world player, complicating talks that mean billions in trade for us, and possibly putting us on a list of people to fight if things ever go down? Why anchor ourselves with a seemingly failing empire, at war with itself and anyone that looks at it the wrong way, either through actual war, trade war, or never ending, ever escalating mean girl wars of words of "presidential" twitter accounts?

I guess because keeping your word is old fashioned and naïve, and utterly Canadian. I support this move...more for us than for them.

What? Isn't our new ambassador to Canada, Kelly Graft, not making it all better now? :eek: :wink2:

What? Isn't our new ambassador to Canada, Kelly Graft, not making it all better now? :eek: :wink2:

You're all good...despite the dramatics to make a point, most of us understand where the problem lies. We didn't have problems with you guys before 2016, and little but problems ever since. 2+2 still equals maple syrup up here. Just don't **** it up in 2020, please. ;)

*giggle*
Nate...I hope you and I can show the Yankees how real Canucks can disagree vehemently on political issues, yet still remain civil and friendly.
Actually I plan to move out to The Kawarthas somewhere after retirement. Instead of a wall, I'll have a big dog...and my high-strung Euro-wife... ;)

I don't think it xenophobic at all to want to maintain our merit-based immigration laws. We both see what's going on in Europe, and I simply don't want such a deluge of refugees in Canada. I don't want the no-go zones, and should some refugee rape my daughter, there wouldn't be a hole deep enough for the perpetrator to hide in...or to rest in once I'm done with him. So ya...this concerns me deeply. It also concerns millions of other like-minded Canucks.

*giggle*
Nate...I hope you and I can show the Yankees how real Canucks can disagree vehemently on political issues, yet still remain civil and friendly.
Actually I plan to move out to The Kawarthas somewhere after retirement. Instead of a wall, I'll have a big dog...and my high-strung Euro-wife... ;)

I don't think it xenophobic at all to want to maintain our merit-based immigration laws. We both see what's going on in Europe, and I simply don't want such a deluge of refugees in Canada. I don't want the no-go zones, and should some refugee rape my daughter, there wouldn't be a hole deep enough for the perpetrator to hide in...or to rest in once I'm done with him. So ya...this concerns me deeply. It also concerns millions of other like-minded Canucks.

hehe...we've had this conversation a bunch of times already, we both know it goes nowhere, so all I'll say is that I think your claim that there are "millions of other like-minded Canucks" is overblown. Most of us aren't that afraid...it's too cold up here for hysteria, you gotta get out of that crazy city, my man, and get back to what it means to be Canadian... Crazy seems to spread faster in cities.

But, I like your plan for the Kawarthas, it's pretty country, and close enough that I can buy you a beer. Heading into Peterborough this weekend, actually. :)

hehe...we've had this conversation a bunch of times already, we both know it goes nowhere, so all I'll say is that I think your claim that there are "millions of other like-minded Canucks" is overblown. Most of us aren't that afraid...it's too cold up here for hysteria, you gotta get out of that crazy city, my man, and get back to what it means to be Canadian... Crazy seems to spread faster in cities.

But, I like your plan for the Kawarthas, it's pretty country, and close enough that I can buy you a beer. Heading into Peterborough this weekend, actually. :)

Actually...

Migrantsmetho.png
Two-thirds call irregular border crossings a ?crisis,? more trust Scheer to handle issue than Trudeau - Angus Reid Institute

We celebrated our 27th anniversary in Wellington last weekend. Spent a wad on Christmas gifts, dinners, and even bought the Christmas tree for the woman who puts up with us every year. But the island has become very pricy in the last couple years, so we're looking to the Kawarthas now. Small village with a lake, golf course, pizza place and a pub.

Actually...

View attachment 67245833
Two-thirds call irregular border crossings a ?crisis,? more trust Scheer to handle issue than Trudeau - Angus Reid Institute

We celebrated our 27th anniversary in Wellington last weekend. Spent a wad on Christmas gifts, dinners, and even bought the Christmas tree for the woman who puts up with us every year. But the island has become very pricy in the last couple years, so we're looking to the Kawarthas now. Small village with a lake, golf course, pizza place and a pub.

Hmm...Angus Reid, huh. ;)

lol...Wellington, bud, we could have had you over for hot cider by the woodstove! You gotta go there in the summer, they have an ice cream place there that makes their own ice cream, and it's probably the best I've ever had. Go for the roasted marshmallow kind...it's amazing.

Hmm...Angus Reid, huh. ;)

lol...Wellington, bud, we could have had you over for hot cider by the woodstove! You gotta go there in the summer, they have an ice cream place there that makes their own ice cream, and it's probably the best I've ever had. Go for the roasted marshmallow kind...it's amazing.

There's 2 ice cream places that I know of there, but rumor has it the newer one, the small place on the corner closest to the core, is being turned into a Chinese Food place. We'll see if that happens. We go to Wellington at least once every summer. A couple years ago, we rented a water skiing outfit to teach our boys to ski and wake-board. 2 days of having a blast on the water. When we're out there, I usually get up at 7am...as I do on weekends with annoying regularity...head down the street to the 9 hole course, bang out 9 holes and get home in time to make breakie.

Except it is not legally binding, nor does it mean we hand control over immigration to the UN.

Except it is not legally binding, nor does it mean we hand control over immigration to the UN.

It's a bad idea and just another reason why "Pixey-Dust" and his cute socks need to be shown the door.

It's a bad idea and just another reason why "Pixey-Dust" and his cute socks need to be shown the door.

Stop yelling at clouds, old man... ;) Canada has always had a tight relationship with and a pretty good standing (other than during the Harper years) at the UN. Given the migration patterns of folks around the world, this makes a lot of sense: shared intelligence, best practice sharing, there are all kinds of benefits gained from working together.

Well Canada seems to disagree, Trudeau keeps climbing in the polls and the Conservatives fall.

I agree. It was the right thing to do, even if undeserved.
I almost hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if the US backs off from the extradition request, tossing Canada under the bus.
I saw a brief report on the news this morning that a Canadian ex-diplomat has been arrested in China. This might snowball.

I agree. It was the right thing to do, even if undeserved.
I almost hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if the US backs off from the extradition request, tossing Canada under the bus.
I saw a brief report on the news this morning that a Canadian ex-diplomat has been arrested in China. This might snowball.

I find it incredibly ironic that the Chinese are complaining her rights are being violated when if China had the same problem with one of their own citizens they would probably be kidnapped and murdered or sent to a concentration camp. A country with kangaroo courts, death squads, and concentration camps complaining about Canada following proper legal procedure. We shouldn't be friendly with China. Also it exposes possible CCP agents in Canada.

Last edited:
How about Kapuskasing? Or Moosonee? Or Attawapiskat?

Back
Top Bottom