• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is how the Second Amendment should be Interpreted! Florida HB 1205

Or a free citizen of any democracy on Earth

Perhaps you can think of other purposes for a government ?
to serve the citizens who elected them...... but I wouldn't expect a subject of the Crown to appreciate that....

And a government does that by governing.
you're a good subject of the Crown. Americans, however, are virtually ungovernable. That's how we roll.....

you're a good subject of the Crown. Americans, however, are virtually ungovernable. That's how we roll.....

No, Americans are far from ungovernable

You live your lives in accordance to the law

Some don't of course and they make up the prison population - are these the "real" ungovernable people you speak of ?

The the federal government has other ways of getting the states to comply, like the way it persuaded them to adopt a 21 year old minimum drinking age.
I agree. You'd support state sanctions on gun owners? I'm okay with that as well.

Sure, what did you have in mind ?
Red flag laws, registration and training requirements, restrictions on every gun tool that makes it easier to fire lots of shots accurately in a short period of time. To start.

Red flag laws, registration and training requirements,
Does that include semi-auto handguns and rifles?

restrictions on every gun tool that makes it easier to fire lots of shots accurately in a short period of time. To start.
What gun violence does training prevent?

Red flag laws, registration and training requirements, restrictions on every gun tool that makes it easier to fire lots of shots accurately in a short period of time. To start.

What kind of restrictions ?

How about only being able to bear arms on private property ?

No, Americans are far from ungovernable

You live your lives in accordance to the law

Some don't of course and they make up the prison population - are these the "real" ungovernable people you speak of ?
No, we don't. You obviously don't drive much here in the USA, do ya'? the highway speed limit can be 70mph, but you will be in traffic going at least 85mph. Cops don't bother even pulling someone over until they go over 90.... For Americans stop signs and turn signals are mere suggestions. We don' need no stinkin' turn signals.

And the politicians finally figured out they better legalize marijuana 'cause we're gonna smoke it anyways.

My local lake has a no liquor ordinance, but every weekend you will see beer being guzzled by the keg at every gathering place.

What Americans do, and subjects of the Crown like you would NEVER do, is each of us judges for him/her self which laws they agree with and which they don't give a rat's ass about. And act accordingly.

The the federal government has other ways of getting the states to comply, like the way it persuaded them to adopt a 21 year old minimum drinking age.

Despite its name, this act did not outlaw the consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under 21 years of age, just their purchase. However, Alabama, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Vermont, and the District of Columbia extended the law into an outright ban. The minimum purchase and drinking ages is a state law, and most states still permit "underage" consumption of alcohol in some circumstances. In some states, no restriction on private consumption is made, while in other states, consumption is only allowed in specific locations, in the presence of consenting and supervising family members, as in the states of Colorado, Maryland, Montana, New York, Texas, West Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Does that include semi-auto handguns and rifles?

What gun violence does training prevent?
Sure.

Who knows? NRA bought and paid for politicians have prevented research into the public health aspect of gun violence.

What kind of restrictions ?

How about only being able to bear arms on private property ?
The private property issue would resolve almost all issues. Still want red flag laws.

That will be quite some confiscation then. And a failure, see: drugs, alcohol.

If you dont want 'reasonable' change, just say so.

Who knows? NRA bought and paid for politicians have prevented research into the public health aspect of gun violence.
Easier to post the facile, empty answer rather than admit that training doesnt prevent gun violence?

I think we're back to you not discussing in good faith. 🤷

That will be quite some confiscation then. And a failure, see: drugs, alcohol.

If you dont want 'reasonable' change, just say so.

Easier to post the facile, empty answer rather than admit that training doesnt prevent gun violence?

I think we're back to you not discussing in good faith. 🤷
Good faith? I never talked about confiscation, you did. How can I admit something doesn't work if I don't have numbers. Glad to look at research that proves your point, I don't anticipate you citing anything worthwhile.

Good faith? I never talked about confiscation, you did. How can I admit something doesn't work if I don't have numbers. Glad to look at research that proves your point, I don't anticipate you citing anything worthwhile.
Well where would all the millions of semi-autos go? If I jumped ahead to a false conclusion, I apologize. What would happen to them?

And I asked you to answer the question. The answer is obvious...none. A criminal points and shoots. Doesnt care about surrounding people or property. What training would you suggest, since you seem to know enough about it to believe it should be mandated, that would prevent violent gun use?

No, we don't. the highway speed limit can be 70mph, but you will be in traffic going at least 85mph....

It can be 80 MPH - generally the cps let you away with 10 MPH

Cops don't bother even pulling someone over until they go over 90....

In a 70 MPH zone, I wouldn't do much more than 80 MPH if I were you - not in Georgia at any rate

And the politicians finally figured out they better legalize marijuana 'cause we're gonna smoke it anyways.

Actually in the case of marijuana, there is a persuasive case for legalizing it (and people in the UK smoke it too)

I'm not sure you could make the same case for harder drugs though

My local lake has a no liquor ordinance, but every weekend you will see beer being guzzled by the keg at every gathering place.

People will do whatever the law lets them

What Americans do, and subjects of the Crown like you would NEVER do, is each of us judges for him/her self which laws they agree with and which they don't give a rat's ass about. And act accordingly.

So how come the USA locks up the greatest proportion of its population (about 2.3 million out of about 330m) than any other country on Earth ?
Whereas in Britain, courts are far more lenient ?
Why is the less tolerance in the USA ?

The private property issue would resolve almost all issues. Still want red flag laws.

Me too...but since I had the idea of only allowing the bearing of arms on private property, it's sounding more and more like a solution.

It can be 80 MPH - generally the cps let you away with 10 MPH

In a 70 MPH zone, I wouldn't do much more than 80 MPH if I were you - not in Georgia at any rate

Actually in the case of marijuana, there is a persuasive case for legalizing it (and people in the UK smoke it too)

I'm not sure you could make the same case for harder drugs though

People will do whatever the law lets them

So how come the USA locks up the greatest proportion of its population (about 2.3 million out of about 330m) than any other country on Earth ?
Why is the less tolerance in the USA ?

Rich; "So how come the USA locks up the greatest proportion of its population (about 2.3 million out of about 330m) than any other country on Earth ?
Why is the less tolerance in the USA ?"

we're even more tolerant than the Crown, we just have a lot of criminals. Crime is a respected career choice here. Like I told you before, Americans do pretty much as they please. You've been here long enough to realize that. If you're observant at all, that is.

Well where would all the millions of semi-autos go? If I jumped ahead to a false conclusion, I apologize. What would happen to them?

And I asked you to answer the question. The answer is obvious...none. A criminal points and shoots. Doesnt care about surrounding people or property. What training would you suggest, since you seem to know enough about it to believe it should be mandated, that would prevent violent gun use?
Turn them into highway barriers or artwork, it doesn't matter to me. And you return to the idea that it won't work, when you have no basis for that position. I say it might work, but research on gun violence has been limited.

Turn them into highway barriers or artwork, it doesn't matter to me. And you return to the idea that it won't work, when you have no basis for that position. I say it might work, but research on gun violence has been limited.
So you have nothing to argue, just complain and wish to impose restrictions on law-abiding gun owners. Why do you even bother?

And there is ONE instance where such violence was limited. That has no effect on all the rest. :rolleyes: Sooooo, so much for that silly excuse.

Basis for my opinion: on banning? I even wrote it: drugs, alcohol

On the use of training to prevent gun violence? There's no basis in fact for that unless you can prove differently. No one needs training to pull a trigger. You just dont want to confront that that idea is a failure when it comes to preventing gun violence. It has other benefits...but preventing gun violence isnt one of them.

And there is ONE instance where such violence was limited. That has no effect on all the rest. :rolleyes: Sooooo, so much for that silly excuse.
Edit: "where such research" was limited.

we're even more tolerant than the Crown...

What evidence do you have of that with regard to custodial V non-custodial sentences, in the respective countries ?
And the length of the (custodial) sentences handed out to people convicted of similar crimes, , in the respective countries ?

Are you saying US courts pass more lenient sentences ?

...we just have a lot of criminals....

Why does American society generate so many more people who reject its values ?

Crime is a respected career choice here....

What evidence do you have of that ?

Like I told you before, Americans do pretty much as they please. You've been here long enough to realize that. If you're observant at all, that is.

Really. Do the go to Cuba ?

Can you give an example of something an (average) American might do, that an (average) Briton wouldn't do ?

Me too...but since I had the idea of only allowing the bearing of arms on private property, it's sounding more and more like a solution.

It will solve the problem of law abiding people carrying guns off private property. Which doesn't seem to really be the problem, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom