• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

THIS is democracy in action!

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Colorado state senators recalled over gun control support

Read more: Colorado state senators recalled over gun control support | Fox News

Two Democratic lawmakers in Colorado, including the president of the state Senate, were recalled Tuesday in elections brought about by their support for tougher gun control laws.

According to unofficial results, voters in Colorado Springs favored recalling state Sen. John Morse, the body's president, by 51 percent to 49 percent. With 100 percent of precincts reporting, state Sen. Angela Giron of Pueblo was defeated in her recall election, 56 percent to 44 percent.

The Colorado Republican Party called the vote results "a loud and clear message to out-of-touch Democrats across the nation" in a statement released late Tuesday. Colorado's Democratic governor, John Hickenlooper, said he was "disappointed by the outcome of the recall elections" before calling on state residents to "refocus again on what unites Coloradans -- creating jobs, educating our children, creating a healthier state -- and on finding ways to keep Colorado moving forward."

"We as the Democratic Party will continue to fight," Morse told supporters in Colorado Springs as he conceded the race. Republican Bernie Herpin, a former Colorado Springs city councilman, will replace him. Giron will be replaced by Republican George Rivera, a former deputy police chief in Pueblo.

"We will win in the end because we are on the right side," Giron said in her concession speech.

The votes marked the first time in Colorado history that a state lawmaker faced a recall effort and the biggest backlash in states that passed tougher gun-control laws following two mass shootings last year – at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater and a Newtown, Conn., elementary school.

Democratic-leaning Connecticut, Maryland, and New York also passed tougher gun laws without a recall effort making a state ballot.

The states’ effort came after President Obama’s unsuccessful attempt to get Congress to pass stricter federal laws – including tighter background checks and bans on assault weapons and high-capacity gun magazines.
In Colorado Springs, the majority of registered voters are Democrats, but many are conservative-leaning. 23 percent of them, in fact, signed the petition to recall Morse, according to The Denver Post.

Read more: Colorado state senators recalled over gun control support | Fox News

"We will win in the end because we are on the right side," Giron said in her concession speech.

On gun control issues, no you are not on the right side. You are on the wrong side, which is why you and the others lost.

Spin on this is pretty funny. I've read a dozen or so articles on the recall results and have seen the phrase "gun lobby" about 50 times. The other theme is "outside money poured in for both sides" with few highlighting that the recall opponents oustpent the proponents 6 to 1. Not much mentioned that the recall was initiated by a true grassroots movements and not something kicked of by the big bad eeeeevvviiiiilll NRA.

The NRA "poured" $350,000 into the recall efforts. Others raised $150,000 more so they used $500k. Mayor bloomberg and his anti gun zealots poured $3,000,000 into and got 24,000 votes to save their beloved leftist. ($125 a vote)

Spin on this is pretty funny. I've read a dozen or so articles on the recall results and have seen the phrase "gun lobby" about 50 times. The other theme is "outside money poured in for both sides" with few highlighting that the recall opponents oustpent the proponents 6 to 1. Not much mentioned that the recall was initiated by a true grassroots movements and not something kicked of by the big bad eeeeevvviiiiilll NRA.

I oppose recall elections unless they are just a flat out crook who refuses to step down. democracy is not well-served by perpetual elections.

On gun control issues, no you are not on the right side. You are on the wrong side, which is why you and the others lost.

You seem to define the right side as simply being the most popular on gun control, yet ignore that pesky 2A individual constitutional right. If racial or gender preference discrimination was popular then would that be right as well?

I oppose recall elections unless they are just a flat out crook who refuses to step down. democracy is not well-served by perpetual elections.

Gosh, I almost always agree with you. Not here. I think you are dead-assed wrong. We need MORE recall elections. It's our only hope. An issue to galvanize "the people" is a Godsend.

Gosh, I almost always agree with you. Not here. I think you are dead-assed wrong. We need MORE recall elections. It's our only hope. An issue to galvanize "the people" is a Godsend.

When a representative's advertised campaign position "evolves", on any issue, that should trigger an automatic recall election petition to be initiated.

This should also be a wake-up call for those in Washington considering the President's move for a vote on action in Syria - nobody should underestimate the feelings of average people when it comes to those they elect ignoring their will and voting against their wishes and for their party's leaders. This goes for Republicans too. It's refreshing to see this kind of citizen action in the face of political intransigence

The NRA "poured" $350,000 into the recall efforts. Others raised $150,000 more so they used $500k. Mayor bloomberg and his anti gun zealots poured $3,000,000 into and got 24,000 votes to save their beloved leftist. ($125 a vote)

I know the money numbers, find it interesting that a lot of articles are leaving the 6 to 1 spending out of it and just stating "out of state money poured in for both sides."

It certainly beats shooting the bastards.

You seem to define the right side as simply being the most popular on gun control, yet ignore that pesky 2A individual constitutional right. If racial or gender preference discrimination was popular then would that be right as well?

I think you have me mistaken, my comment was directed at the quote from Giron.

AMEN !! This seems to be the only way to get incumbents out!

Colorado state senators recalled over gun control support

Glad to see it. Now they just need to recall the rest of them over their support of legalized marijuana.

Democracy is all about perpetual elections. What do you think all that drum circle and hand "twinkling" was all about during the OWS festivities?

Oh, by the way, people who actively strive to destroy Constitutionally protected rights of the people ESPECIALLY through the force of government ARE criminals and they need to get kicked to the curb.

Glad to see it. Now they just need to recall the rest of them over their support of legalized marijuana.

Absolutely! More freedom is bad, we must increase gov't control. ;)

Absolutely! More freedom is bad, we must increase gov't control. ;)

Freedom itself isn't a problem. Allowing people with no Morals or Values to make decisions, is.

Freedom itself isn't a problem. Allowing people with no Morals or Values to make decisions, is.

With that statement you violate my values and I would go so far as to say you are morally in the wrong.

Creates a conundrum doesn't it? How should we decide who gets the upper hand?

I think Colorado had demonstrated the best way to go about this. And it is the way of our nation . voting and the democratic process are central to freedom.

Take your assumed values and morality and shove it.

It's good to know that you don't consider freedom to be a problem, but quite disturbing that you think that the gov't should establish morals and values. So long as your freedom does not infringe upon mine then I see no cause to get gov't involved.

I disagree immensely. We can't have short term media frenzies kicking people out all the time. The public is very susceptible to that. If Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, and Pennsylvania all had the same recall laws as Colorado Walker, Kasich, Snyder, Scott, and Corbett would all have been out on their asses in 2011 because of the way the media was treating them at the time, despite the fact that all of them but Corbett are even money or better to be re-elected next year. The public usually eventually figures out what they really want, but are extremely susceptible to short term fluctuations and we can't be kicking out elected officials all the time because of that.

I disagree immensely. We can't have short term media frenzies kicking people out all the time. The public is very susceptible to that. If Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, and Pennsylvania all had the same recall laws as Colorado Walker, Kasich, Snyder, Scott, and Corbett would all have been out on their asses in 2011 because of the way the media was treating them at the time, despite the fact that all of them but Corbett are even money or better to be re-elected next year. The public usually eventually figures out what they really want, but are extremely susceptible to short term fluctuations and we can't be kicking out elected officials all the time because of that.

Pfft. Walker won a recall election. So did several other Wisconsinites. Union money poured in by the millions in support of that recall election. And the special interests lost.

Recall elections: democracy in action.

Coloradans spoke loud and clear: Don't further restrict our gun rights. Good.On.Them.

Back
Top Bottom