• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is an example why people don't trust police in some cases and any justice for them

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Any decent person is outraged by this, and recognizes it as a needless and wrong act of violence by the police. An 'arbiter' was the process for justice, and he failed, saying the police 'had no choice'. They obviously did. This is an outrage and injustice IMO showing a need for reform on accountability and training.

Even if the cop didn't do anything legally wrong, I think he was a jerk. He could have been a lot more gentle in moving the man out of the way, and he especially should have stopped long enough to check the man's condition after the fall. At least, that's what I think about it.

Non violent protests are legal and patriotic. Any law enforcement officer(s) should be terminated for this action. Their action makes the taxpayers liable. In effect could be a reason for insurance coverage premium
to be increased = tax increase.

75-year-old Martin Gugino was not being aggressive toward law enforcement.

A lawsuit is still on the table. Law enforcement exhibited reckless behavior.

Last edited:
Any decent person is outraged by this, and recognizes it as a needless and wrong act of violence by the police. An 'arbiter' was the process for justice, and he failed, saying the police 'had no choice'. They obviously did. This is an outrage and injustice IMO showing a need for reform on accountability and training.

Arbitration was the only avenue left after a grand jury refused to indict them.

Even if the cop didn't do anything legally wrong, I think he was a jerk. He could have been a lot more gentle in moving the man out of the way, and he especially should have stopped long enough to check the man's condition after the fall. At least, that's what I think about it.
I think he was a jerk, but more than that. Acting as an official, I think he was guilty of not doing his job legally, of unnecessarily taking a violent action that nearly killed a peaceful person, showing reckless disregard. You see one officer prevent another from stopping to help him as well. I find this not only immoral but criminal, and that the process for justice was inadequate if not corrupt.

Tough call, but ultimately just looking at the video the police are in the wrong there.

Gugino created the situation by approaching the advancing line of police and disobeying a lawful police order to back off. One can debate whether he was given enough time to obey that order, but no one in their right mind walks toward a phalanx of policemen in riot gear with any other intent but to impede them. Gugino had to know he was disobeying a police order as he approached.

That said, there is just no way Gugino presented a physical threat to a cop wearing battle gear, and police are obligated to use the minimum force necessary. Shoving an old man to the pavement was not the answer. Grabbing him and forcibly moving him backward would have been, and a well trained cop should have done something akin to that.

IMO, this was professional negligence.

The police should be cleared of any wrongdoing they were probably following procedure. It's not their fault that procedure is incompetent they don't write it. It's the idiot politicians that are in charge of that create this problem.

They should be cleared of any wrongdoing charges should be pressed on the people that ordered this sweep and the people that trained them to react to that way.

You can see one officer in the video attempts to render aid and then the police officer next to him probably a higher ranking officer stops him from doing that that is policy.

It's also worth noting that holding this example up as a reason why "people don't trust the police" is intellectually no different than citing urban crime stats and holding them up as a reason why "people don't trust blacks."

Prejudice is prejudice.

I distinctly remember watching the incident when it first hit the news. There was widespread outrage. But...

This occurred on June 4, 2020. It's now April 25, 2022. The incident is forgotten by most. The result of the officer's trial won't get nearly the same coverage the incident did.

I put it to you that a legal justice system that takes close to two years to get an incident caught on tape to trial is broken. These delaying tactics are a huge part of the problem.

I personally think we need to end the practice of police operating under a different standard of behavior simply because they're police.
I don't know why we ever thought that was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom