• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This has been true for a long, long time!

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have often wondered why it is that the conservatives are called the "right" and the liberals are called the "left." By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

Well for all those who classify themselves as Christian, we now know the Bible's definition of the Conservatives and Democrats!

I am laughing because this is a truism I have always believed.

I have to wonder whether the Koran states something similar?

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

There are other truths there also. You can see them at "The Bible on a Page";

The Bible on One page

Left has, in all eras and cultures, symbolized that which is evil, unclean and taboo.
I think it probably stems from ancient hygienic rituals.
I mean, ten thousand years ago you couldn't exactly whip out the Dial Antibacterial Soap after you took a crap and wiped your butt with a handful of leaves or sand or whatever was available for this purpose.
It probably became clear sooner rather than later that it was imprudent and potentially fatal to wipe your butt with the same hand you used for cooking, eating, and touching other people.
Since the majority of people are right-handed and able to perform most tasks more adeptly with their right hand, the left hand by default was universally designated as the butt-wiping hand.
Eventually this evolved into a matter of courtesy and social custom; it was simply considered rude or disrespectful to touch other people with one's left hand. No one really remembered why anymore. It was just "the bad hand".
That's my theory about the whole left and right thing, in a nutshell.
I have no idea if it's accurate, but it kind of makes sense, doesn't it? ;)

Left has, in all eras and cultures, symbolized that which is evil, unclean and taboo.
I think it probably stems from ancient hygienic rituals.
I mean, ten thousand years ago you couldn't exactly whip out the Dial Antibacterial Soap after you took a crap and wiped your butt with a handful of leaves or sand or whatever was available for this purpose.
It probably became clear sooner rather than later that it was imprudent and potentially fatal to wipe your butt with the same hand you used for cooking, eating, and touching other people.
Since the majority of people are right-handed and able to perform most tasks more adeptly with their right hand, the left hand by default was universally designated as the butt-wiping hand.
Eventually this evolved into a matter of courtesy and social custom; it was simply considered rude or disrespectful to touch other people with one's left hand. No one really remembered why anymore. It was just "the bad hand".
That's my theory about the whole left and right thing, in a nutshell.
I have no idea if it's accurate, but it kind of makes sense, doesn't it? ;)

you're right, it's still a custom in a lot of cultures to not eat with your left hand.

though, of course, the bible is irrelevant to what he's talking about.

The terms Right and Left refer to political affiliations which originated early in the French Revolutionary era of 1789-1796, and referred originally to the seating arrangements in the various legislative bodies of France. The aristocracy sat on the right of the Speaker (traditionally the seat of honor) and the commoners sat on the Left, hence the terms Right-wing politics and Left-wing politics.

and what was it Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

so by using the original definition of left and right, no right wingers can enter the Kingdom of God.

though, of course, the bible is irrelevant to what he's talking about.

and what was it Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

so by using the original definition of left and right, no right wingers can enter the Kingdom of God.

Naturally you are supposing that there are 1) God, 2) Kingdom of God?

Back
Top Bottom