• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Graphic Says It All

I agree it was a blue wave but it wasn't a tsunami. The democrats lost a lot of senate races in swing states, and a lot of democratic incumbents in the senate lost their seats in 2018. 2010 is an example of a tsunami. The Republicans went from 179 seats to 242 seats house seats and from 41 senate seats to 47. In 2018 democrats went from 193 seats to 231, and from 49 senate seats down to 47. The Republicans still hold every level of government except the house now, they have a majority of the governorship, state legislatures, and the Senate.

Sorry, I should have stipulated that it was a tsunami for House and governorships (7 of 8 flipped to D) races. I believe that puts governorships at 23Dem, 26Rep and 1Ind. Three of those states became a trifecta for the Dems (i.e., the governorship and both state houses). There are several House races yet undecided so Dems may yet get a few more seats there. I never said the 2010 race wasn't a tsunami for Reps. It was. And as President Obama candidly remarked is was a "shellacking." As to the Senate, there was no doubt that Dems were going to lose and possibly 4 or more seats. In the end it appears that they will "only" lose 2. Not good but certainly could have been much worse.

Would that something made you bother to look to see whether there's a simple and straightforward explanation, one such as there merely being more people who are or who lean Democratic.

Also, that if every time they lose they have to claim it was rigged but never when they win is just generally the same as claiming your team loses because of the refs. IOW, the classic sore loser mentaility.

Back
Top Bottom