• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

This GOP governor's stirring comments on racism

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

200820160508-eric-holcomb-address-0818-large-169.jpg

8/20/20
If you had your ear to the ground in Hoosier politics this week, you might have heard something interesting:

"We're also facing another kind of virus that's equally voracious, and it's in turn forcing us to a reckoning as a state and nation -- one that's built on 'equality for all.'
I'm talking about cases of racism -- sometimes obvious, sometimes subtle -- that have led to inequity and exclusion, that have plagued our country throughout our storied history."​

No, that's not a line from Kamala Harris' DNC acceptance speech. It's Indiana's Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb.

"We now stand at an inflection point, and we have an opportunity to acknowledge those past wrongs, learn from our history and admit where we've come up short of our ideals.
"And yet, it's just a fact, the concept [that all men were created equal] wasn't put into practice even before the ink was dry. Quite the contrary. Laws were established that classified African Americans
as 'property' and prevented women from voting. There's nothing equal about that."​

Holcomb delivered this address this week, as he announced a slate of new measures to work toward racial equity -- all made in the wake of George Floyd's death in Minneapolis. Holcomb's proposals include equipping all frontline state troopers with body cameras by next spring, creating a public dashboard with racial disparity data and adding a new Cabinet post called the chief equity, inclusion and opportunity officer.It's important to remember the political context. Holcomb is up for reelection this November. His Democratic challenger is Dr. Woody Myers -- the first Black major party candidate for governor in the state's history. Yet the Indiana governor's office is reliably red, and the race isn't particularly close. "Indiana's Republican governor stood up in front of his red state and drew a straight line from slavery to COVID-19 disparities," tweeted Indy Star metro columnist James Briggs. "If you don't think that counts as progress, try to imagine Mike Pence giving that speech."

The point is made. Holcomb is pointing out Indiana challenges that Pence never acknowledged.

I like this guy.

This is some welcome news.

200820160508-eric-holcomb-address-0818-large-169.jpg

The point is made. Holcomb is pointing out Indiana challenges that Pence never acknowledged.

I don't think this guy actually knows what he's talking about. This speech almost seems to mirror one of those intro-progressive movement speeches you would see right before Obama was elected and even before Trump was elected.

It's mostly a speech that shows just how blind the speaker is to what has actually been transpiring in this country. That slavery has been a long and gone conclusion, one that everyone agreed is bad and that should be abolished everywhere it is found. He also doesn't make the effort to actually point out exactly what this whole "Chief equity" position is going to actually entail, or I missed an explanation somewhere.

What is so surprising, or out of place here?
The man is apparently against racism and all for keeping the police accountable for their own actions. Though the "racial disparity data & the equity chief position" sound like two things that are just going to bite him in the ass.

I don't think this guy actually knows what he's talking about. This speech almost seems to mirror one of those intro-progressive movement speeches you would see right before Obama was elected and even before Trump was elected.

It's mostly a speech that shows just how blind the speaker is to what has actually been transpiring in this country. That slavery has been a long and gone conclusion, one that everyone agreed is bad and that should be abolished everywhere it is found. He also doesn't make the effort to actually point out exactly what this whole "Chief equity" position is going to actually entail, or I missed an explanation somewhere.

What is so surprising, or out of place here?
The man is apparently against racism and all for keeping the police accountable for their own actions. Though the "racial disparity data & the equity chief position" sound like two things that are just going to bite him in the ass.

RINOs lol...

Other than you, who said that? No one? Cool.

Read what i quoted :).i really dont care if you want to deny there is a problem in your party, it will just become an incredibly small party over time.

Read what i quoted :).i really dont care if you want to deny there is a problem in your party, it will just become an incredibly small party over time.

I’m a libertarian. However there’s no valid third party candidate this year. Besides, You just posted “RINO’s lol” in response to a comment. That says nothing.

Last edited:
That IS the surprise.

The party of black voter suppression.

Untrue. What is true is that Joe Biden is an old white racial segregationist and non-stop makes racist statements to the extreme. But, then, he is in the party of the KKK and racial segregation laws, isn't he?

Conservative comes out and tries to address inequality: Conservatives be like, "Whatta jerk."

Conservative comes out and tries to address inequality: Conservatives be like, "Whatta jerk."

They arent conservatives they are trumpsters. There is a big difference

What's with the racist ignorance of some white people.... They will attack anyone who speak of human equality of person as individual and address the long history of vile racist.

Time is not going to be graceful to these racist,

To the Racist who pretend they are so God loving, but know nothing of God's Words, and care even less about God's Truth.

Jobs 4:8
As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.

Pslams 7:16
16 The trouble they cause recoils on them; their violence comes down on their own heads.

These racist who attack anyone who speaks the truth of history and promotes the principles of equality of person as individual.... are themselves, savages, driven by the passions of a heathen.

Their actions have demonstrated their savagery for Centuries and Decades... they cannot abandon the gluttony and slothfulness... as they are driven by lust and fools pride as they revel in being heathens.

It is refreshing to see any Republican leader, especially the Governor of a deeply red State and home of the KKK, make such broad and cogent statements and take action to execute on those words. I think he sees what a post-Trump GOP should look like. I don't know if it is hope, principle or opportunity, but I'll take it (for now).

Democrats are losing another one of their redherrings.

how hard is it for an adult to say it's wrong to treat people different because of this...

x40lyhlcfzf41.jpg

It is refreshing to see any Republican leader, especially the Governor of a deeply red State and home of the KKK, make such broad and cogent statements and take action to execute on those words. I think he sees what a post-Trump GOP should look like. I don't know if it is hope, principle or opportunity, but I'll take it (for now).
I watched the speech. I believe he really means it. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom