• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Florida mother has been living in her teen daughter's ICU room for days, praying she survives Covid-19

Credence

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is so sad. How the hell do we get across that the vaccine risk is so much better than getting Covid.:(

Agnes Velasquez remembers the last words her teen daughter said before Covid-19 severely attacked her respiratory system.

"She told me that she loved me," said Velasquez, who rushed her daughter to the hospital.

Velasquez spoke with CNN on a video call from the ICU room at Broward Health Medical Center where her 15-year-old daughter, Paulina, has been battling Covid-19 for about 10 days.

"She can hear me," Velasquez said.

Velasquez showed her daughter up close, her hair combed in a ponytail and her eyes shut. A ventilator tube covers a portion of her face.

Velasquez said she tells her daughter every day to, "Fight for your life."

Also from the link:

"If you look at the mortality rate of Covid, just this past year for children, it's more than twice the mortality rate we see in influenza in a given year," said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky on CNN's "New Day" Wednesday.

The number of Covid-19 cases in children and teens is trending upwards, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. The group reported more than 38,600 cases in children from July 15 to 22, more than triple what was being reported at the end of June.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/us/co...icu/index.html

This is so sad. How the hell do we get across that the vaccine risk is so much better than getting Covid.:(

Agnes Velasquez remembers the last words her teen daughter said before Covid-19 severely attacked her respiratory system.

"She told me that she loved me," said Velasquez, who rushed her daughter to the hospital.

Velasquez spoke with CNN on a video call from the ICU room at Broward Health Medical Center where her 15-year-old daughter, Paulina, has been battling Covid-19 for about 10 days.

Velasquez showed her daughter up close, her hair combed in a ponytail and her eyes shut. A ventilator tube covers a portion of her face.

Also from the link:

Hmm…. the CDC director might have been lying just a tad:

While any death in a child from a vaccine preventable illness is a tragedy, the number of pediatric flu deaths reported to CDC each season is likely an undercount. For example, even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 188, CDC estimates the actual number was closer to 600. It is likely the actual number of children who died from flu during the 2019-2020 season is higher as well.

Total COVID deaths in ages 0-17 was 340 vs. 187 for influenza. 187 X 2 is less than 340.

Hmm…. the CDC director might have been lying just a tad:

Total COVID deaths in ages 0-17 was 340 vs. 187 for influenza. 187 X 2 is less than 340.

Yeah, well, I have a feeling that's going to change this year.

It may well, but the future does not change the past.
No, no it does not, you're correct. But, is that what were trying to do? I don't think so. I think we are trying to use models, and information from other countries so that we can avoid something regrettable. If the virus surges in fall, while kids are in school without protection available, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we might be dealing with an increase amount of dead or long haul injured children.
Of course, school being our biggest childcare center and educator, mean it takes a balance doesn't it? We are a capitalist country, not a social democracy, so we expect everyone to work under most conditions, how do you go about this fact without killing enough children to look like a monster?

Do you wait and find out? Or do you avoid a potential disaster? Parents will be left to figure this out, without any financial support. Either way is going to cause a lot of problems.

No, no it does not, you're correct. But, is that what were trying to do? I don't think so. I think we are trying to use models, and information from other countries so that we can avoid something regrettable. If the virus surges in fall, while kids are in school without protection available, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we might be dealing with an increase amount of dead or long haul injured children.
Of course, school being our biggest childcare center and educator, mean it takes a balance doesn't it? We are a capitalist country, not a social democracy, so we expect everyone to work under most conditions, how do you go about this fact without killing enough children to look like a monster?

Do you wait and find out? Or do you avoid a potential disaster? Parents will be left to figure this out, without any financial support. Either way is going to cause a lot of problems.

If an “expert” feels that they must lie about ‘the science’ (aka known data) then they make themselves very easy to mistrust. It was far too easy, using published CDC data alone, to discover that COVID-19 deaths in children (through age 17) were not more than double influenza deaths in children. While it’s nice to think that “experts” would like to help us avoid “potential disaster” they have no business telling lies to help support their predictions, recommendations or conclusions.

Also from the link:

I would like to say wow that's sad and it is and yet it is probably preventable. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Get vaccinated so you don't have to tell your daughter who is near death you love her. If you love your kids, make them get vaccinated. Act like the parent you are supposed to be, this isn't a negotiation with your children.

If an “expert” feels that they must lie about ‘the science’ (aka known data) then they make themselves very easy to mistrust. It was far too easy, using published CDC data alone, to discover that COVID-19 deaths in children (through age 17) were not more than double influenza deaths in children. While it’s nice to think that “experts” would like to help us avoid “potential disaster” they have no business telling lies to help support their predictions, recommendations or conclusions.
I don't do that. I know this is a fluid situation, and variables will change therefore information will change and the CDC has said as much clearly. So, I have nothing to distrust.

A belief in a God, or faith might not change much but science does change depending on new variables. I don't think they are telling lies, but I do think they are gathering new information and trying to predict a pattern, so we can avoid disasters. It's what they do.

Why would they lie? Please tell me something other than you think they are working secretly for the left. I'd love a real answer.

The fact is, if this kid would have been vaccinated, she would be home with her family right now. So whether the number of kids that have died from COVID is twice as many as that die from the flu in a given year or not, is irrelevant to any parent that has to see their kid in a critical care unit on a ventilator and knows that this was entirely preventable. That had their kid had a vaccine that is literally one of the safest, most effective vaccines ever developed, that they would not be there on a ventilator.

Even if only a couple of hundred kids from age 12 to 17 will die from COVID between now and the end of the year, there is simply no rational reason that every kid age 12 and up should not be vaccinated (unless otherwise directed by their physician). Virtually every COVID death and hospitalization is entirely preventable. Every single one of them.

Only a couple of hundred kids die of meningitis b every year and we still vaccinate kids for it.

My great grandparents both grew up in an era with way more child mortality.

The expected life span for people was much lower as well, the overall living conditions for most people was lower. Life today for the vast majority of Americans is better today than it was 80 years ago, and provided we continue to progress life will be better for most people 80 years in the future.

Ideally no one will have to die from easily preventable or curable diseases/injuries.

Technology is grand don’t you think? Far more effective than praying to god to heal someone

I realize the ordinary flu can cause death however with COVID's delta variant that number will triple and be combined with flu numbers. This is definitely going to get worse by the fall if steps not taken now. Not going to downplay it.

Last edited:
I'm unsure what you mean to convey with this post. I myself don't want to go back to those times when we don't have to.
Our life expectancy just went down because of Covid, and it's now a choice to bring it down further. No thanks, I don't want to get used to more child mortality, or a shorter life expectancy.

And that was a good thing? The reason that there is way less child mortality now is that SCIENCE has developed vaccines and cures for the things (like infection) that used to kill children. Or like small pox. So, stop comparing apples and watermelons.

And that was a good thing? The reason that there is way less child mortality now is that SCIENCE has developed vaccines and cures for the things (like infection) that used to kill children. Or like small pox. So, stop comparing apples and watermelons.

In many ways it was. People had much healthier views on death. We wouldn’t have people acting scared of coronavirus if typhus or cholera were still problems. Also plagues inspired some of the greatest works of higher art and culture

Back
Top Bottom